Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Here's a question though: If I booked award travel out of my account before April 2, will I still get the 10% bonus? Or does it only apply to award tickets that are booked after April 2?
I believe the AA rep posted upthread that the 10% rebate only applies to awards booked on or after April 2, or was that answer only in regard to the free checked bag benefit?

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Wonder if you cancel/rebook a flight reservation, if you can get points back? Spent 280K for 4 tickets to Asia in June. They may charge that over the phone rebooking fee though.
If you cancel and rebook, then yes, you would get the 10% because it would be a new booking. As long as there is award space available to rebook, of course. If you are not EXP, I believe you'll have to pay a fee to redeposit the miles, plus a ticketing fee.

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
The reservation must include the primary cardmember’s American Airlines AAdvantage® number in order for this benefit to apply. Additionally, benefit is valid on travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
how do I tell if I have a Visa Platinum Select? I applied with AWAY7 offer a few months ago, and got an Amex and a Visa, and the Amex says Select at the bottom but the Visa just says Platinum Level at the bottom and then Visa Signature
AFAIK, all of the Platinum World Mastercard and Platinum Visa Signature cards that Citi has offered recently were branded on their website as "Select". It never says select on the cards.

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
My advice is to call and ask about your cards if you are relying on any of these benefits.
Good advice nonetheless.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
A couple answers for everyone.

Yes, this benefit applies to award tickets booked by the primary cardmember as long as the reservation includes the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage account number. Additionally, benefit is valid for travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012.
Regarding the free checked bag, how about partner award tickets on AA metal, e.g. AA flight using BA avios redemption? Thanks.

Last edited by rdchen; Apr 4, 2012 at 9:02 am
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:47 am
Company Representative - American Airlines

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Jimmy28
My questions now are:

1. If we have the Executive Card will we get the new benefits here that the Exec doesn't come with?

2. If we have both the Executive Card and the World Elite will we get both sets of benefits without issues? E.g. the full Priority Access from the Exec but also the rebates and $100 voucher w/spend from the World Elite?
1. Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® cardmembers will also enjoy the 25% savings on eligible in-flight purchases as of April 2, 2012. The remaining new benefits only apply to cardmembers that currently have a Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard and Citi® Select® / AAdvantage® American Express. Each of the Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cards is designed for the unique needs of different types of travelers.

2. You will enjoy the benefits associated with both cards.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by flyertalker543
Does anyone know if we'll have the full "Priority Access" printed on the boarding pass -- i.e. we get to board with AA Golds? Or will it be a lower tier Priority Access, where we board after the elites?

Sounds good - been waiting for a card like this!
The new benefit on this card is priority boarding, which is different from PriorityAAccess. The priority boarding benefit will enable cardholders to board after first/business class passengers and elite status customers, but before the general boarding groups.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by kenban
For the 10% of your redeemed miles back, it does not specify that you must be using the miles to get a ticket. The way I read it you could get 10% back for any redemption. So if I went and spent 100k on a hotel or transferred it to Hilton I should get 10k back.
Yes. You will earn 10% back on redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage miles on any redemption activity, including hotels, up to 10,000 AAdvantage miles per calendar year.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by nall
So how does the 10% mileage thing work?
Does it have to be me travelling, or can I use it for travel booked for another?
Do I have to charge the taxes to my Citi card?
If I have two cards, can I get 20,000 miles back?
So how does the 10% mileage thing work?
Does it have to be me travelling, or can I use it for travel booked for another?
This benefit applies to all miles redeemed from the primary cardmembers’ AAdvantage account – even if you book an award ticket for someone else.

Do I have to charge the taxes to my Citi card?
Your Citi / AAdvantage account must be open and active at the time of redemption but you are not required to charge AAdvantage Ticketing Service Charges for an award flight to the Citi / AAdvantage card to earn this benefit.

If I have two cards, can I get 20,000 miles back?
The maximum number of miles you can earn back in a calendar year is 10,000 per AAdvantage account regardless of the number of miles you redeem in that calendar year. Because this benefit is by AAdvantage account, you cannot accumulate 20,000 miles back per calendar year if you have two cards.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by wesmanz
Also wondering how they discern that you are eligible for 10% back on the award miles.

Use of a qualifying card to pay the fees?
Specific link to book award travel (similar to Citi reduced mileage awards?)

--wes
Also wondering how they discern that you are eligible for 10% back on the award miles.
Eligibility is determined by having an open and active eligible Citi / AAdvantage account at the time of redemption.

Use of a qualifying card to pay the fees?
Your Citi / AAdvantage account must be open and active at the time of redemption but you are not required to charge AAdvantage Ticketing Service Charges for an award flight to the Citi / AAdvantage card to earn this benefit.

Specific link to book award travel (similar to Citi reduced mileage awards?)
Just book your award travel as you normally would and your bonus miles will post to your AAdvantage account 6-8 weeks after your redemption.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Ritz
Can we clarify (and hopefully assume) that the $450 a year many of us pay for the Citibank Executive card, will have ALL of these newly announced benefits as well, as one would surely hope AA would reward its MOST loyal customers as well:

Otherwise, it seems a little ludicrous that we're paying almost 6X more for the card listed below, as it wouldn't offer these new bennies as well. AmericanAirlines - please advise....
We are happy to share that our Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® cardholders will enjoy the same 25% savings on in-flight purchases as of April 2, 2012; however other new benefits are not available on the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card carries many benefits such as the Admirals Club membership, the ability to earn Elite Qualifying Miles each calendar year, PriorityAAccess, and no foreign transaction fees that are not available on any other Citi® / AAdvantage® card today. Benefits were added to these specific cards as a result of extensive research and customer feedback and each of the Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cards is designed for the unique needs of different types of travelers.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:56 am

We are happy to share that our Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® cardholders will enjoy the same 25% savings on in-flight purchases as of April 2, 2012; however other new benefits are not available on the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card carries many benefits such as the Admirals Club membership, the ability to earn Elite Qualifying Miles each calendar year, PriorityAAccess, and no foreign transaction fees that are not available on any other Citi® / AAdvantage® card today. Benefits were added to these specific cards as a result of extensive research and customer feedback and each of the Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cards is designed for the unique needs of different types of travelers.
While I certainly appreciate you enlightening us as to some of the clarifications with regard to the benefits, I am still amazed that an $95/year card carries these 2 benefits:

Originally Posted by longhorn11

$100 American Airlines Flight Discount

Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases on your
Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card during your cardmembership year (each 12 month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary. The Flight Discount expires one year from date of issue. The Flight Discount is redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. The Flight Discount is also redeemable for air travel on any oneworld® partner or American Airlines codeshare flight. The Flight Discount is redeemable online at www.aa.com. The Flight Discount is redeemable only toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier. The Flight Discount may not be used for flight products and/or services that are sold separately or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines. If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Flight Discount, the difference must be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card, or with American Airlines Gift Cards. If travel booked with the Flight Discount is cancelled or changed by the cardmember, the Flight Discount will be forfeited and the cardmember will be responsible for any applicable fare difference and the applicable change fee. The Flight Discount will not be replaced for any reason. The Flight Discount is non-refundable, may not be sold and has no cash redemption value. If the $30,000 purchase requirement was met during your cardmembership year and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary, please allow 8-12 weeks for the Flight Discount delivery.

Earn 10% Back on Your Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles

For benefit to apply, your Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open and active at the time of redemption. The American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles you earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles you can earn annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at www.aa.com/redeem. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles to post to the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage® account.

...that our $450/year card does not. I have a hard time believeing that AA's extensive research split target demographics in such a way that somehow analysis yielded that those who are paying $450/year for the Citi Executive card wouldn't make use of the above 2 benefits - which now seem to be the 2 benefits that paying an extra $365/year doesn't get us.

I, and many of my FT (and Citi Executive cardholder) brethren that I talk to privately feel very disappointed that our loyalty to AA and our $450 annual fee don't rate for a 10% mileage redemption rebate and a single $100 mileage credit (upon $30,000 spend, which many of us hit) along with those that only have to pay $95 yearly for this new card. Considering our Citi Executive cards are not even a year old themselves, and with all the fanfare AA launched it with, one would think conventional wisdom might apply here and have these 2 rather nominal (but not insignificant) benefits available to satiate your MOST loyal - and PAYING - cardholders.

I would hope you might take this request seriously, as there are many of us who's $450 annual fee is right around the corner and every overture AA can make toward offsetting the cost of that card might make the difference between many of us keeping the card - or cancelling it and obtaining this new much-cheaper card and saving $355 yearly, duplicating some benefits, and actually gaining these 2 new benefits in the process.

Last edited by Ritz; Apr 4, 2012 at 9:21 am Reason: Updated yearly fee data point - with thx to rrgg
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by anabolism
I believe the AA rep posted upthread that the 10% rebate only applies to awards booked on or after April 2, or was that answer only in regard to the free checked bag benefit?
I read the AA rep's answer and it seems to me that s/he was referring only to the checked bag benefit.

I think the jury's still out on whether the 10% rebate applies to tickets booked before Apr 2. AA rep, can you help us out? Thanks!

BTW, AA rep, I'm very happy to see you on here and for being so active in our discussion. It is much appreciated.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Ritz
While I certainly appreciate you enlightening us as to some of the clarifications with regard to the benefits, I am still amazed that an $85/year card carries these 2 benefits:

...that our $450/year card does not. I have a hard time believeing that AA's extensive research split target demographics in such a way that somehow analysis yielded that those who are paying $450/year for the Citi Executive card wouldn't make use of the above 2 benefits - which now seem to be the 2 benefits that paying an extra $365/year doesn't get us.
Do you also have a hard time understanding why American Express would give higher bonuses in certain categories to PRG cardholders than to PLT cardholders?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Izushisobaman
Regarding the first checked bag free, this is what I got from AA twitter team.

"First checked bag free applies to travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012 to domestic & Canadian destinations."
I have a flight booked ealier for a trip at the end of April. I just applied for the card and linked my AAdvantage number to it.

If the benefit (free checked bags) is tied to my AAdvantage number, would I get the free checked bag?

Or do I have to cancel and reticket it for it to be eligible?

It worries me about the Booked and ticketed on or after April.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by longhorn11
I'm assuming these things will be tied to your AAdvantage # (as stated by Citi) or if not there will be some process to add these benefits to another reservation. Am I mistaken? If you are flying on AA metal using Avios for example could you take advantage (no pun intended) of these extra benefits?
Free first checked bag and priority boarding will apply to travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012 as long as your reservation includes the primary cardmember’s American Airlines AAdvantage® number.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I just got off a phone with the Citibank rep. I have AAdvantage Visa Signature platinum level card – the one that came with 75K sign-up bonus. Was told my existing account is not eligible for any of the new benefits. The agent suggested applying for the new card while hanging to the old one (?). Had anyone with the old card was able to get some of the new benefits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.