Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Old May 4, 12, 9:32 am   #226

Programs: AA, WN, UA, HHonors, Marriott, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by /M3 View Post
I received my admirals passes last week. I did not have to call for them.
that's what I thought. Everyone has posted the same thing - they just show up in the mail. Some of these reps need to be re-trained.
Travel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 12, 3:37 pm   #227

Programs: AA Gold, SPG, HGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post

Your story as written doesn't seem to make sense. The British Airways card is not a chip-and-PIN card, it's only a chip-and-signature card. If all those places really only took chip-and-PIN cards, you'd have been out of luck! Presumably, if you were able to use your Chase BA Visa card there, they took both chip-and-PIN and chip-and-signature cards, and thus only require chip cards, not specfiically chip-and-PIN.

There are kiosks that only require some sort of chip card, and then there are other kiosks that rrequire a chip-and-PIN card, at which a chip-and-signature card won't work. Furhtermore, chio-and-PIN cards come in two varieties, online verficiation and offline veification. If yours only supports online verification, and the kiosk is offline, too bad, no go. (If your card supports offline verification, you cannot change the PIN by calling the card company; you can only do it in person at a compatibile machine, because chanigng the PIN on an offline verified card requires reprogramming the chip.)
Oops! Yes, you are right. They required a chip only. They didn't ask for a signature. No idea if they were offline/online. I just know that the no-chip cards didn't work and the chip card (BA) worked. Thanks for clarifying!
aznaphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 12, 3:38 pm   #228

By the way, DH and I both got our AMEX and Visa's today! Time to spend money on all 4 cards!
Old May 9, 12, 12:48 pm   #229

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint View Post
FYI... I called Citibank as I have the Platinum Visa Signature and they told me the EMV wasn't available.

I called back and talked to another agent and they said it was so if you talk to someone that says it isn't then call back.
That was my experience too. As with the other Citi cards, they sent me the chipless one first, then had to call again. The second one arrived with the chip.

You have to wonder how much Citi is wasting on postage fees for sending out the wrong card.
Old May 12, 12, 9:14 am   #230

Programs: AA DL UA
No miles reported to AA on last statement

I've had my Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Visa Signature for a few years, though I recently had a new card number issued because of fraud.

For the first time ever, my last statement shows no miles reported to AA, even though I had a balance (just $120 though).

What gives? Anybody see something similar? Are they just slow to report the miles, or do you need to exceed a certain spending limit now?
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 12, 11:58 am   #231
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtom View Post
I've had my Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Visa Signature for a few years, though I recently had a new card number issued because of fraud.

For the first time ever, my last statement shows no miles reported to AA, even though I had a balance (just $120 though).

What gives? Anybody see something similar? Are they just slow to report the miles, or do you need to exceed a certain spending limit now?
I suggest you call Citi and make sure the new card is linked to the right account. Citi has a history of mistakenly generating new partner* accounts when creating new card numbers, even when they should have used an existing account. Obviously, if the miles got transferred to a new account that you don't know about, you can't see them!

If Citi does find that your new card has the wrong account number, then you need to (a) have them fix that (good luck, on a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa it took me three attempts before it worked!) and (b) get the new mistaken number from them and call AA and explain what happened and have your accounts merged.

*My experience was with partner Hilton, but it's the same bank, so I can see them doing the same with partner AA.
sdsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 12, 11:37 am   #232

Programs: AA/UA/AmExMRP/Hyatt Gold Passport/Priority Club
Foreign Transaction Fees?

Does anyone know if the Citi/AA cards waive the foreign transaction fee? I've looked through the promo materials and T&Cs and I'm not finding any mention either way. Thank you.
jacknyoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 12, 12:09 pm   #233

Programs: AA EXP, PC Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknyoc View Post
Does anyone know if the Citi/AA cards waive the foreign transaction fee? I've looked through the promo materials and T&Cs and I'm not finding any mention either way. Thank you.
The only AA Citi card that I know that doesn't have FTF's is the Citi Elite.

--wes
wesmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 12, 12:45 pm   #234

Programs: AA EXP - 4 MM | Amex Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknyoc View Post
Nope. They won't do it on any of them except the Elite card as someone else mentioned. Last year I spent a TON of money on the Platinum Select and requested they waive the FTF and told them I'd spend significant amounts abroad. But they didn't budget.

I did end up getting the Elite card last month and indeed they do waive all Foreign Transaction fees. I bought several train tickets last week (Italy and France) online with the Elite card and it was exactly at the Forex rate with no fees added on.
Old May 15, 12, 2:43 pm   #235

Programs: AA-EXP; HH DIAMOND: IHG PLAT; CLUB CARL GOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmombat View Post
Citibank told me that my reservation not only had to be linked to my aadvantage number, but had to be paid for using my citibank aadvantage card, and that since I used another credit card, i would not be eligible for the free bag check, nor any of the other travel benefits. Has anyone already traveled with this offer, and gotten the free checked bag, with a flight paid for by a non-citibank aadvantage credit card? thanks!
I was surprised when i cheked in and printed my inlwas boarding passes and it said priority access. They both have the AA card, no status, and this was an award reservation booked on BA with Avios and fees/taxes paid with BA Visa. (I did have to call AA for the record locator to be able to check them online)
Old May 23, 12, 7:09 am   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU View Post
I was surprised when i cheked in and printed my inlwas boarding passes and it said priority access. They both have the AA card, no status, and this was an award reservation booked on BA with Avios and fees/taxes paid with BA Visa. (I did have to call AA for the record locator to be able to check them online)
The same thing happened to me and my wife's flight booked with Avios. We did not use the AA card (we used Chase Sapphire to pay taxes). This flight is booked last year so I did not expect this as the 1st post indicates the reservation must be booked and ticketed on or after 4/2/12.

I hope this extends to the 1st checked bag free.
Izushisobaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 12, 7:35 am   #237

I have been given priority access on AA when booked with Avios several months before acquiring the credit card. It seems to be a separate perk from the card.
mmthomas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 12, 7:42 am   #238

bump of previous question on actual experience

[quote=mmthomas44;18434120]Rather than "customer service" answers, could someone with actual experience using the new card benefits post their experience?

Was the free bag check noted in the PNR that a reservation agent could see?

Did the counter agent know your bag was to be checked free?

Did showing the card to counter agent get the bag checked free? (this was my CO experience)
mmthomas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 8:33 pm   #239
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat, Amtrak, Alaska, National
Two PNRs booked prior to 4/2 and not charged to the Citicard had no benefits as expected. Bag check had fee and got various board zones based on seat, up to zone 4. I did get an op up to Fon an overbooked intra-Texas for myself and travelling companion based on some information in the system, so that is something.
Old May 31, 12, 4:24 pm   #240

Just flew on tickets that I bought using the AA Citi AMEX. DH was given Priority Access. (I am Gold so I get it anyway.) However, our ticket home was changed to a different flight and he was back in Group 2. Sucks.