Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, United, Delta, Marriott, HH, Hyatt
Omg , thank you very much guys.
Like seeing the diversity in views and such great sensible answers I guess I now know what I really need to focus on.

Flyer talk guys are awesome.
I'll post in a future thread what route and places I ended up routing and the experience I got.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Most of the Explorer award rules are AA-instituted and maintained. AA can waive them whenever it wants.

But AA cannot waive government-imposed taxes, duties, etc. If you were not required to pay them, you can rest assured that AA is paying them.

Why didn't you just do a DFW -> GLA award followed by a DUB -> AUS award? Both would be "oneworld and other airline" awards.
I had already traveled the LAN portion (aus-dfw-mex-lim-cuz-lim-mia-dfw) of the explorer award, so I was locked into a explorer ticket.

If I took AA's offer to cancelled my ticket due to the BUD issues they would not have refunded sufficient miles to book two new award flights making fixing the explorer award my only option.

Last edited by onlybeef42; Apr 4, 2012 at 1:20 pm Reason: Oneworld --> explorer
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Does anyone have a tip on how to book an explorer reward IF the return legs are not showing availability yet?

The first 3 legs of my trip are OK, but is there a way to hold it and add the other legs later?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Never done a RTW trip before but have decided to take the plunge. After reading through this thread I think I understand the rules (thanks Austinrunner)... here is my proposed itinerary:

PRG-LHR-LAX(stop) - HNL(stop) - ORD(stop) - SAN(stop) - LHR(3-month stop) - DXB(stop) - HEL(stop) // LHR - HKG(stop) - BKK(stop) - SIN(stop) - SYD(stop) -HKG-LHR-PRG.
49,406 miles (great circle mapper), using BA/CX/AY/QF

I'm using LHR alot but I think that's ok as it is only 1 stop, 2 connections, and 1 open-jaw departure.

Any other issues/concerns/suggestions? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Looks OK, although you'll have to pay fuel surcharges whenever you fly on BA. You'll also have to pay the air passenger duty when you stopover in LHR. Which class of service will you be flying? You didn't list AA, but from your itinerary, it's clear you'll be flying them, too.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Apr 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:41 pm

Looks OK, although you'll have to pay fuel surcharges whenever you fly on BA. You'll also have to pay the air passenger duty when you stopover in LHR. Which class of service will you be flying?
Planning on flying business class. Haven't figured out how to avoid the BA/LHR issue since I'm based in London and want to stop in (or near) London twice on the trip for long breaks (once after the North American portion, and a second after dubai-helsinki).
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:52 pm
Suspended

This will give you a good idea of the BA fuel surcharges and UK air passenger duties that you would pay under your proposed itinerary:

PRG -> LHR (BA) -> LAX (BA) (fuel surcharge of Ł133.40)
LAX -> HNL (AA)
HNL -> ORD (AA)
ORD -> SAN (AA)
SAN -> LHR (BA) (fuel surcharge of Ł267.20)
LHR -> DXB (BA) (fuel surcharge of Ł159.50) (air passenger duty of Ł130.00)
DXB -> HEL (AY)
Open Jaw
LHR -> HKG (CX) (air passenger duty of Ł162.00)
HKG -> BKK (CX)
BKK -> SIN (CX)
SIN -> SYD (QF)
SYD -> HKG (CX or QF) -> LHR (CX) -> PRG (BA) (fuel surcharge of Ł22.50)
TOTAL of BA fuel surcharges and UK air passenger duties: Ł874.10
If you fly BA for your HKG -> LHR leg, you would have to pay an additional fuel surcharge of Ł188.40.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:44 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
ORD -> SAN (AA)
SAN -> LHR (BA) (fuel surcharge of Ł267.20)
kraftar,

You might consider replacing SAN with LAX and do the LAX-LHR leg on AA. Yes there is a difference in the J product and this is a long flight, only you can decide if it is worth the Ł267.20 minus the cost of getting from LA to SD and back.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Sagy
kraftar,

You might consider replacing SAN with LAX and do the LAX-LHR leg on AA. Yes there is a difference in the J product and this is a long flight, only you can decide if it is worth the Ł267.20 minus the cost of getting from LA to SD and back.
Thanks again Austinrunner and thanks Sagy! I could do some tweaking like
PRG-MAD-LAX (IB) instead of PRG-LHR-LAX. That leads to a couple of questions:

1. is BA the only airline w/ a fuel surcharge I need to worry about? What about Iberia?
2. what is the relative ranking of the airlines' business class? I'm working under the assumption that CX > BA > AA. But I don't know where QF, AY, IB, S7, RJ and Air Berlin fit into the equation.
3. is OVB allowed as a destination? If so, is it worth visiting?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:36 am
Suspended

IB has a fuel surcharge, but it's minimal (a maximum of 30 euros).

Novosibirsk? Yes, it's allowed.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Apr 6, 2012 at 1:44 am
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:41 am

IB has a fuel surcharge, but it's minimal (a maximum of 30 euros).
Thanks again Austinrunner! is there a thread somewhere which lists the fuel surcharges so I don't have to keep bothering you?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:58 am
Suspended

If you enter your itinerary at the ITA website, it will list all the charges, taxes, fees, etc. that you will be required to pay. The one exception are the IB fuel surcharges.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:15 am

Thanks once more. I missed that at the very bottom of the OP.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Just wanted to check if this was a valid itinerary:

BKK-KIX (stopover)-HEL(stopover)-CDG(stopover)-HKG (stopover) -JFK (stopover)-HKG (connection)-TPE

31k miles.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Global Entry, United Silver
Open jaws stopover

Hi,

If I have an open jaws stopover as part of an explorer award, which city counts for the "no more than 1 stopover per city" rule- the arrival city or the departure city?

For example, if I try to book the following as part of an explorer award:

HKG-ORD-MSN (open jaws stopover) ORD-MCO-ORD(stopover)-HEL

would the second stopover in ORD be allowed after the 1st stopover between MSN and ORD?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.