Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by srittle001
Anyone been able to changing routing on existing awards? I know you couldn't previously but didn't know if anyone has had success since the elimination of the award.
I doubt it, considering that it would require your award to be reticketed (which should be impossible, given the award type no longer exists); but I haven't tried personally.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by sk3x
I doubt it, considering that it would require your award to be reticketed (which should be impossible, given the award type no longer exists); but I haven't tried personally.
Been able to bump out significantly past the 1yr ticket window somehow but no luck with route changes or connection -> stopover conversions.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list, Hiltonhonors Diamond, Delta, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum,
One final data point in these soon to be extinct awards. I am starting my trip ATL-ORD on AA and then ORD to Mad on Iberia this December as part of my ATW trip. Iberia Airlines cancelled my direct flight from ORD to MAD and I was in limbo for about two days. I called AA and they said Iberia "protected" me but put me the MIA-MAD for the same day and practically the same time

While on the phone with AA I said how would I get to Miami as I am suppose to go ATL to Ord. She said let me look and actually opened up two first class rickets on the AA ATL-MIA flight earlier in the day to connect on the Iberia flight. She assured me this was allowed.

Naturally I was freaking out thinking she was somehow canceling my trip and trying to reissue from scratch for these extinct awards. She got two supervisors to look at it per my request and they agreed this was allowed. We went ahead with it and I just received the new ticket numbers etc and everything is confirmed.

At least in this rare case I was able to change my routing due to Iberias cancellation of my flight and the fact that Iberia put me the flight from Mia-Mad.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:18 pm

Update on my JAL domestic flights with Explorer AAwards.

Found an AAgent that would ticket J JAL international connecting J domestic. One pax got a ticket number, the other ticketing was stopped.

Seems the rule is well known. Should have been included in the Wiki - Not complaining, this thread changed my life.

Also mentioned above. We had a route cancellation that, because of BA increased fees, added $250. to our taxes. After several calls over days was able to get the added fees refunded in e-Vouchers but could be exception not thte rule,

Later was told, along with the canceled segment, because ticket had to be reinstated to fix the routing change, we could have changed other segments and routings. Maybe just a super exception.

On our last leg tomorrow from the RTW posted somewhere above. Made many, many, many date changes and sometimes to often had ticketing hiccups.

We had to constantly call in to check or fix and often needed to go through (huca) several AAgents to get simple things done. The AA desk, in my opnion has deteriorated significantly. If the AAgents would simply listen to what we're saying that would be a great start. And of course if AA would simplify their work screens so all AAgents, regardless of their "level" could find information.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by zznoname
Update on my JAL domestic flights with Explorer AAwards.

Found an AAgent that would ticket J JAL international connecting J domestic. One pax got a ticket number, the other ticketing was stopped.

Seems the rule is well known. Should have been included in the Wiki - Not complaining, this thread changed my life....
Then, why not include it in the wiki? By definition, and it states so in the wiki, any member with 90 days and 90 posts can edit and update the wiki. AS it says in the header:

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:15 am

Questions on Potential Change/Cancellation

Hi everyone. I have a 9 leg Business Class explorer award around Europe booked for next week (August 12th) until early November. Unfortunately my wife's mother in India is ill and we are on high alert for the possibility of abandoning the trip and booking last minute flights to Mumbai (We're still in the US now). I know the program is discontinued so not sure how it affects this type of situation.

Can I cancel the whole thing and at least get our miles refunded, or are both miles and taxes/fees non-refundable?
If we end up getting to Europe (Ireland is our first stop) can I still postpone the rest of the legs even with the trip discontinued? We booked the whole thing way back on 1/31 of this year so does that mean we'd have to complete the itinerary by 1/31 of next year?
This might be a question for another forum but we booked the trip with our Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard which comes with $1500 worth of trip insurance (cancellation, interruption, etc.). Does anyone know if that would be usable in this case. Her mother obviously was not sick when we booked the trip in January.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I have an AA award ticket for next Wednesday arriving at HKG at 9:30pm from KUL in J and flying out on Thursday to JFK at 645pm in F (both on CX) as the only other flight that fits the 24 hour stopover window is an MH flight arriving at 730pm but J has no availability. Does anyone know if I will be able to show up early at the airport to try to get on an earlier flight to avoid a re ticketing and using extra miles for having a stopover that exceeds 24 hours? Much appreciated!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by munch9000
Hi everyone. I have a 9 leg Business Class explorer award around Europe booked for next week (August 12th) until early November. Unfortunately my wife's mother in India is ill and we are on high alert for the possibility of abandoning the trip and booking last minute flights to Mumbai (We're still in the US now). I know the program is discontinued so not sure how it affects this type of situation.

Can I cancel the whole thing and at least get our miles refunded, or are both miles and taxes/fees non-refundable?
If we end up getting to Europe (Ireland is our first stop) can I still postpone the rest of the legs even with the trip discontinued? We booked the whole thing way back on 1/31 of this year so does that mean we'd have to complete the itinerary by 1/31 of next year?
Yes, you have to complete all travels within one year of the original ticketing date.

I am not sure if you can get the miles back. You should discuss that with AA. Please let us know what they tell you.

You should be able to change the dates of travel, subject to award availability.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by larryuva
I have an AA award ticket for next Wednesday arriving at HKG at 9:30pm from KUL in J and flying out on Thursday to JFK at 645pm in F (both on CX) as the only other flight that fits the 24 hour stopover window is an MH flight arriving at 730pm but J has no availability. Does anyone know if I will be able to show up early at the airport to try to get on an earlier flight to avoid a re ticketing and using extra miles for having a stopover that exceeds 24 hours? Much appreciated!
Welcome to FT!

I am not sure exactly what your question is, but to change award tickets you need to call AA. This is not something that gate agents at the airport will be able to help with.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Perhaps I can simplify what I was trying to say. AA will only allow me to book an award ticket in F for 67.5k miles with a 24 hour layover in HKG. Since I'm flying out at 6:45p.m. on Thursday, I have to arrive from KUL after 6:45p.m on Wednesday for the award to be priced at 67.5k miles instead of two separate awards. My question is, can I show up at the KUL airport early and ask the agents if I could get on an earlier flight to skirt around the 24 hour gap, i.e. arrive at HKG at 1p.m., without AA forcing me to reticket and charge me more miles?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by larryuva
Perhaps I can simplify what I was trying to say. AA will only allow me to book an award ticket in F for 67.5k miles with a 24 hour layover in HKG. Since I'm flying out at 6:45p.m. on Thursday, I have to arrive from KUL after 6:45p.m on Wednesday for the award to be priced at 67.5k miles instead of two separate awards. My question is, can I show up at the KUL airport early and ask the agents if I could get on an earlier flight to skirt around the 24 hour gap, i.e. arrive at HKG at 1p.m., without AA forcing me to reticket and charge me more miles?
Is this related to a OW Explorer ticket? Sounds like you might be better served in the partner awards thread.

To the question: I'm not sure if you can standby on an award ticket as a general matter; in my experience, the operating carrier's policy with respect to the fare class booked will apply. In any scenario, I don't believe you could switch carriers without reticketing.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:43 pm
Used to be highman123

Sry- delete - belongs into the US Airways thread.

Last edited by MightyTravels; Aug 13, 2014 at 3:26 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sk3x
Is this related to a OW Explorer ticket? Sounds like you might be better served in the partner awards thread.

To the question: I'm not sure if you can standby on an award ticket as a general matter; in my experience, the operating carrier's policy with respect to the fare class booked will apply. In any scenario, I don't believe you could switch carriers without reticketing.
I an Explorer award start in June. I did a standby on an earlier flight, with no issue. I am also One World Emerald, so that might have had some impact? Flight load on earlier flight was very low.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by srittle001
One final data point in these soon to be extinct awards. I am starting my trip ATL-ORD on AA and then ORD to Mad on Iberia this December as part of my ATW trip. Iberia Airlines cancelled my direct flight from ORD to MAD and I was in limbo for about two days. I called AA and they said Iberia "protected" me but put me the MIA-MAD for the same day and practically the same time

While on the phone with AA I said how would I get to Miami as I am suppose to go ATL to Ord. She said let me look and actually opened up two first class rickets on the AA ATL-MIA flight earlier in the day to connect on the Iberia flight. She assured me this was allowed.

Naturally I was freaking out thinking she was somehow canceling my trip and trying to reissue from scratch for these extinct awards. She got two supervisors to look at it per my request and they agreed this was allowed. We went ahead with it and I just received the new ticket numbers etc and everything is confirmed.

At least in this rare case I was able to change my routing due to Iberias cancellation of my flight and the fact that Iberia put me the flight from Mia-Mad.
I have an explorer award in October in which my flight from DOH to NBO was permanently cancelled. I was originally going from AMM to NBO with a stopover in Dubai and then connecting at DOH. They put me on a later flight but I explained that I already had a safari booked and I needed to get in earlier. Unfortunately there were no available flights from DXB to DOH to get me there in time. We had to reroute from AMM to AUH to NBO. They allowed me to use Etihad which is normally not an option in explorer awards.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:13 am

Thanks for the data point, as I'm starting my award in October as well and glad to hear that there is some flexibility with routing/carriers if schedules change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.