FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1310448-archive-us-lcc-amr-aa-takeover-merger-rumors-discussion-consolidated.html)

Clipper110A Feb 4, 2012 10:31 am

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Glad to see AA wants to stand alone, but Horton remarks a bit odd, even knowing the way media can shape the story without the fuller context.

(extract from Charlotte Observer quoting a Dallas newspaper)

"But Horton, in comments made to the Dallas Morning News editorial board on Thursday, seemed to dismiss any suggestion of a merger.
"This is not US Airways' first attempt at this. This is a small company very strategically limited, I would argue - not any international flying, hubs of less strategic importance," Horton said.
His remarks came a day after American issued a broad outline of its plan to cut costs and exit bankruptcy court as a standalone carrier. The Fort Worth-based carrier will seek to cut 13,000 jobs, about one out of every six workers, and to terminate its employee pension plan. It also plans to overhaul its fleet with more efficient planes, restructure leases and grow revenue by an average of $1 billion a year, partially by increasing departures from key cities.
On Thursday, Horton pointed to US Airways' checkered past in the merger arena.
"This will be their fourth try at this: twice for United, once for Delta while they were restructuring, now American. I would argue that this will be every bit as successful as their prior tries," Horton told the Dallas Morning News. "I'm not sure what's in the water out there in Phoenix. Maybe it's the cactus. I don't know what it is."

chanp Feb 4, 2012 10:40 am

He's pretty confident. :D

Science Goy Feb 4, 2012 10:41 am

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 17951200)

He has to be, or at least put on a confident face.

DillMan Feb 4, 2012 10:41 am

I'll stage an Occupy DFW protest if US comes anywhere near AA.

Clipper110A Feb 4, 2012 11:04 am

Originally Posted by DillMan (Post 17951207)

+ 1

Science Goy Feb 4, 2012 11:06 am

Originally Posted by DillMan (Post 17951207)

US is the one company I've consistently boycotted, even when their fares were significantly lower than competitors'. Worst airline ever.

elitetraveler Feb 4, 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by chanp (Post 17951200)

Actually its stupidity. The message should be AA management is open to combinations that strengthen its position. AA is a premier brand in the aviation world and while we believe we can go it alone, we also understand that there could be opportunities to grow via merger or acquisition. Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.

crazyMRer Feb 4, 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 17951437)
Actually its stupidity. The message should be AA management is open to combinations that strengthen its position. AA is a premier brand in the aviation world and while we believe we can go it alone, we also understand that there could be opportunities to grow via merger or acquisition. Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.

AA should hire you!!!

;)

Science Goy Feb 4, 2012 11:27 am

Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.

Are you just saying what you think Horton should've said here, or are you angling for his job?

elitetraveler Feb 4, 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by crazyMRer (Post 17951460)
AA should hire you!!!

;)

I mean at least he could say, "We would like to merge with our key JV partner IAG as soon as we can convince the government on the benefits of allowing majority shareholding by foreign entities."

BA has had three key U.S. partners - first was their Marketing Marriage with UA, followed by their investment in US and then AA, which they seriously considered ditching at one point for CO.

If AA can't right its ship why wouldn't BA look for more stable alternatives? I think Horton and crew perhaps take for granted that BA/IAG will always be there unless A) they are a strong, profitable carrier or B) they are in fact part of IAG.

Clipper110A Feb 4, 2012 11:42 am

He also is a bit off base about US internationally...No doubt AA is larger than US internationally, yet US send their metal to more cities in Europe than AA. It is odd that US can be found in secondary European markets like VCE, LIS, at one time ATH (some admittedly seasonal)...most of us would be in shock if AA started serving those cities.

elitetraveler Feb 4, 2012 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Clipper110A (Post 17951555)
He also is a bit off base about US internationally...No doubt AA is larger than US internationally, yet US send their metal to more cities in Europe than AA. It is odd that US can be found in secondary European markets like VCE, LIS, at one time ATH (some admittedly seasonal)...most of us would be in shock if AA started serving those cities.

If you took out AA's LHR ops I wonder how their European network/revenue/RPMs would look?

ffI Feb 4, 2012 11:53 am

The message should be AA management is open to combinations that strengthen its position. AA is a premier brand in the aviation world and while we believe we can go it alone, we also understand that there could be opportunities to grow via merger or acquisition. Under my leadership I will always look at all options that secure AA's future for investors, employees and customers.

well said!

2millionquest Feb 4, 2012 12:14 pm

He comes off a bit cocky and brash, but Wall Street looooves cocky and brash.

demkr Feb 4, 2012 12:21 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Rude and unprofessional. Profitability in Tempe vs unprofitability in Dallas.

How's
Your European network AA?