Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by hillrider
AA is not headquartered in airport property, but on land within Ft. Worth (4333 Amon Carter Blvd to be more precise).
Said land used to be the site of the Fort Worth Airport, which competed for traffic with Love Field before DFW was built. If you go on Google Maps and look a little bit south of DFW you can see that some of the old runways are still intact and unused (part of them having been converted to roads, including Amon Carter Blvd itself).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by joejones
Said land used to be the site of the Fort Worth Airport, which competed for traffic with Love Field before DFW was built. If you go on Google Maps and look a little bit south of DFW you can see that some of the old runways are still intact and unused (part of them having been converted to roads, including Amon Carter Blvd itself).
That is very interesting. I doubted your statement that the site used to be Amon Carter field, but you are correct. I remember years ago flying non-stop from Love field to Fort Worth. For some reason I thought that Fort Worth was the current Meacham field, but doing a little search reveals that my memory has morphed from reality and that it had to have been Amon Carter and not Meacham. Those were the glory days of flying. I miss the, at the time, seemingly huge four engine Electras and DC-4s. I suspect that most people would not find those days appealing, but I remember a flight as a child from Midway to Love on a Continental Airlines Electra with an actual table that went between facing seats in First Class with the "Stewardess" serving a meal on China with real silverware on what today would be a boring domestic flight. That flight is what convinced me that when I grew up, I would never take a job that did not allow me to fly multple times per week.

Last edited by ksweeney; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:03 pm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:00 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Ya...

Originally Posted by flight62
Been through many airline mergers. US Airways always kept miles from merged airlines. Regardless who has control on paper, there is no reason to think the same wouldn't happen this time.

FWIW, the airline will be American Airlines, Headquarters in Dallas, and the AA American Advantage will be the FF name. That has already been decided.
MULTIPLE Times by Doug Parker!!!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
MULTIPLE Times by Doug Parker!!!
If you say it enough times, it becomes the current reality
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96
Gotta love employee rumors. Anybody who actually knows anything better be keeping their mouth shut or be in a whole load of trouble. Anybody who is currently saying anything probably believes the pipedream Dougie has conned the unions with.
+1

I can imagine a concerned group of AA employees getting together feeding off tid bits of partial information/rumors, all concurring, not letting any fact or thoughts that indicates that it may as not be as bad as they think getting in the way of group analysis.

It is difficult to be objective in such a situation. As a result there is often some level of diminished credibility to be observed from the POV of a bystander.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ksweeney
If you say it enough times, it becomes the current reality
Hey, Smisek has said multiple times that the new UA will include "changes you'll like." Ask the UA board what the current reality is regarding that.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Hey, Smisek has said multiple times that the new UA will include "changes you'll like." Ask the UA board what the current reality is regarding that.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...30125?irpc=932

2 weeks
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Reuters:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc (LCC) and American Airlines parent AMR Corp (AAMRQ.PK) are in the final stages of negotiating a merger, with valuation and management structure being the two major sticking points left to resolve, four people familiar with the matter said.

The two airlines, as well as AMR's creditors and its bondholders, have focused their efforts in recent weeks on reaching a merger agreement, and a deal could come in the next two weeks, the people said on Friday.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
See these two post on the US forum - they may be relevant:
Originally Posted by kudzu
Since everyone is speculating anew , my 0.02 in agreeing with the following: (emphasis mine)
... Robert W. Mann, an aviation consultant who once worked at American, believes that AMR will try to "run the clock" - avoid announcing a merger decision for as long as possible because rejecting US Airways' overtures could trigger an immediate hostile takeover bid. If the economy and the airline industry grow stronger, a delay gives AMR more time to post better financial results and boost Horton's argument that he's already fixing the company, Mann says.

AMR could use more time to figure out what to do with its American Eagle regional-airline subsidiary, which it has tried unsuccessfully to sell. It could even consider alternatives to a merger such as deeper partnerships with airlines other than US Airways.

"There won't be a rush to judgment because Horton doesn't want one," Mann says. "I think it'll be midyear before anything happens."
Originally Posted by aztimm
The two airlines, as well as AMR's creditors and its bondholders, have focused their efforts in recent weeks on reaching a merger agreement, and a deal could come in the next two weeks, the people said on Friday.

Negotiations are continuing and could still fall apart, but progress has been made toward getting a deal done, the people said. An alternative plan for AMR to exit bankruptcy as an independent company appears a less likely path, they added.
Bolding mine. ...
As mentioned earlier, anyone who is intimately involved with these discussions would be legally prevented from making any such disclosure.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I would like to believe that the AMR Board is familiar with their TERRIBLE M&A history (Air Cal, Reno Air, TWA), CO-UA has been a DISASTER, come to the realization that they can succeed, continue on with the current growth plan - alone.

A quick glance at the BOD http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corpo...-directors.jsp suggests a pretty conservative bunch, lack of deal junkies who might otherwise be looking for a quick, short-term financial bump.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
I would like to believe that the AMR Board is familiar with their TERRIBLE M&A history (Air Cal, Reno Air, TWA), CO-UA has been a DISASTER, come to the realization that they can succeed, continue on with the current growth plan - alone.

A quick glance at the BOD http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corpo...-directors.jsp suggests a pretty conservative bunch, lack of deal junkies who might otherwise be looking for a quick, short-term financial bump.
In addition, the AA unsecured creditors may be smart enough to discount arguments that the merger absolutely has to happen RIGHT NOW as Parker has been hollering for over a year. If it's a good idea, then it will likely remain a good idea 12 or 24 months from now. Merging right now hands a lot of their value over to the LCC stockholders for no good reason. If they wait a year or two, LCC might not command such a huge deal premium, leaving more of the gain for the rightful AMR creditor-owners (of which the AMR employees comprise 21.3%).
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by serfty
See these two post on the US forum - they may be relevant:As mentioned earlier, anyone who is intimately involved with these discussions would be legally prevented from making any such disclosure.
That hasn't stopped confidential information from being leaked in the past - what the motivation of the leaker is can vary widely. Sometimes it is people very close. Anyone remember the HP board fiasco where board members were leaking to the press?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TWA884
NEW YORK (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc (LCC) and American Airlines parent AMR Corp (AAMRQ.PK) are in the final stages of negotiating a merger, with valuation and management structure being the two major sticking points left to resolve, four people familiar with the matter said.
If they haven't resolved valuation and management structure, what exactly have they resolved? It seems to me those would need to be the very first matters to decide. If you haven't settled on a price, you're not close to closing the sale.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
In addition, the AA unsecured creditors may be smart enough to discount arguments that the merger absolutely has to happen RIGHT NOW as Parker has been hollering for over a year. If it's a good idea, then it will likely remain a good idea 12 or 24 months from now. Merging right now hands a lot of their value over to the LCC stockholders for no good reason. If they wait a year or two, LCC might not command such a huge deal premium, leaving more of the gain for the rightful AMR creditor-owners (of which the AMR employees comprise 21.3%).
A big +1! By the way, there is a lot of talk in the media regarding the combined revenues of the merged carrier -- leading the industry. However, wouldn't revenues decrease from any overlap in routes?

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
That hasn't stopped confidential information from being leaked in the past - what the motivation of the leaker is can vary widely. Sometimes it is people very close. Anyone remember the HP board fiasco where board members were leaking to the press?
I hope you understand the difference between leaking confidential information on a possible merger of 2 public companies, including a very high profile brand like AA where its chap 11 restructuring has garnered so much media attention, and the immoral behavior of HP's CEO? Board Members leaking that the actions of the CEO having an affair is not a criminal act.

If you have a case to be made, please provide an example where leaks of a possible merger between two public companies have been publicly known before an official announcement? Leaking information of this kind is a violation of securities laws and very easy to find out who is the source.

Originally Posted by taliesin
If they haven't resolved valuation and management structure, what exactly have they resolved? It seems to me those would need to be the very first matters to decide. If you haven't settled on a price, you're not close to closing the sale.
Agree.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq

If you have a case to be made, please provide an example where leaks of a possible merger between two public companies have been publicly known before an official announcement? Leaking information of this kind is a violation of securities laws and very easy to find out who is the source.
First of all, it is public information that AA and US are engaged in merger discussions.

But to your question about leaks, Airtran Board Member in the WN/Airtran merger?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanma...rlines-merger/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.