FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   More SFO / San Francisco cuts: AA closes pilot base (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1268653-more-sfo-san-francisco-cuts-aa-closes-pilot-base.html)

hillrider Oct 13, 2011 9:21 am

More SFO / San Francisco cuts: AA closes pilot base

The nail on the coffin for the return of AA non-hub SFO flights: AA is closing its pilot base there.

Source: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...close-pil.html

The San Francisco base has been deemphasized in recent years as American has adopted a "cornerstone" strategy focused on its Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago and Miami hubs and Los Angeles and New York.

Jacobin777 Oct 13, 2011 10:02 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 17267588)
The nail on the coffin for the return of AA non-hub SFO flights: AA is closing its pilot base there.

Source: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...close-pil.html

Besides AUS, what other non-hub routes does AA fly to out of SFO?

IIRC, all the other SFO routes are hub routes.

FWAAA Oct 13, 2011 10:06 am

I don't think AA flies nonstop from SFO to AUS.

lbbzman Oct 13, 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Jacobin777 (Post 17267840)
Besides AUS, what other non-hub routes does AA fly to out of SFO?

IIRC, all the other SFO routes are hub routes.

According to the current AA PDF timetable, even SFO-AUS isn't nonstop. To answer your question, I don't see any nonstop AA-operated flights from SFO to anything other than a hub or 'cornerstone' city.

Cheers,
LBBZman

sts603 Oct 13, 2011 10:51 am

Until recently there was SFO-BOS and SFO-HNL. Eagle also flew SFO-SNA and maybe SAN?

AAerSTL Oct 13, 2011 11:28 am

I'm surprised its lasted this long. Another blow to AA's SFO area operations.

Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ilot-base.html

AAerSTL Oct 13, 2011 11:36 am

Apa information hotline

APA INFORMATION HOTLINE
This is APA President Captain Dave Bates with the APA Information Hotline for Thursday, Oct. 13.
SFO BASE CLOSURE: APA has been informed that American Airlines management plans to close the San Francisco crew base. This regrettable development will adversely affect hundreds of American Airlines employees and their families, including more than 300 SFO-based pilots. APA is disappointed that management could not find a way to maintain the San Francisco base as part of the airline’s network.
In consultation with APA’s general counsel, we have reconfirmed that there are no contractual limitations on management decision-making with respect to crew bases, and no status quo implications associated with a base closure during Section 6 negotiations. In our airline’s history, there have been a number of cities where airline management once maintained crew bases, only to decide later to close those bases.
Rest assured that your APA leadership will engage management to explore ways to mitigate the impact of this unfortunate situation on our SFO-based pilots and their families. We intend to do everything feasible to protect the interests of the pilot families that will be affected. We are keenly aware of the hardship that results from a base closure.
I remain convinced that the best course of action in our present situation is to conclude negotiations expeditiously. While we cannot necessarily influence management decision-making with respect to where to locate crew bases, a contractual agreement that is good for our pilots and good for the operation will help move American Airlines in a more positive direction.
Thanks for checking this hotline.
https://public.alliedpilots.org/apa/...e-closure.aspx

There you have it-they have no recourse if the company decides to close the base.

EaglesOhThree Oct 13, 2011 12:01 pm

at what point to the SFO people just plain realize AA isn't coming back there and move their business to wherever they think the grass is greener?

Xero Oct 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 17268333)
I'm surprised its lasted this long. Another blow to AA's SFO area operations.

Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ilot-base.html

I don't think it's a blow. We all knew it was going to happen.

Also, one thing people here keep forgetting is that this is one company's decision. AA is not the bellwether corporation that knows which market is good and which is bad.

Also, AA is still in the Bay Area. We all know that AA sees SFO a spoke. I will continue to fly AA because other than getting to SNA (which I can take WN on), it gets me to where I need to be. And the benefit of flying SFO-LAX-wherever means that I'll trump anyone originating in LAX for upgrades.

zman Oct 13, 2011 12:18 pm

How many (and what are they) non 5 corners crew bases are remaining?

BOS is one (for now), is it next?
What else?

AAerSTL Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 17268560)
I don't think it's a blow. We all knew it was going to happen.

Also, one thing people here keep forgetting is that this is one company's decision. AA is not the bellwether corporation that knows which market is good and which is bad.

I will continue to fly AA because other than getting to SNA (which I can take WN on), it gets me to where I need to be.

You can deny it all you want now, but there have been posts in the past praising SFO crews and their service (specifically regarding the now discontinued SFO-HNL route) and its clear the locals have a sense of pride in their local base and valued it somewhat. Although the DOMESTIC FA base closure has not been announced its looking increasingly likely following this announcement. Again, you can spin things however you want but it doesn't change the facts. Administrative support positions are eliminated; perhaps there is a small office in the airport housing the base that will close. Commuting crews have "crashpads" in their base city that they now no longer need, fewer crews will spend money at the airport concessions.

Xero Oct 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 17268591)

What else?

SFO I think still has an FA base, but I am not sure if they announced a closure for that. They recently did close the international crew base after SFO-HNL was cancelled.

Thunderroad Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree (Post 17268476)
at what point to the SFO people just plain realize AA isn't coming back there and move their business to wherever they think the grass is greener?

I know I'm going against the flow here, but given the recent and IMHO ongoing deterioration in UA's FF program, I might well prioritize AA over UA next year. To make a long story short, AA is far superior in terms of
its EXP phone and other service (compared to UA 1Ks, who like EXPs secure status by virtue of 100K miles per year), SWU upgrade availability at time of booking and SFO-based EXP's scoring complimentary upgrades compared to UA 1K's. That last advantage stems from far fewer AA than UA elites here, a trend that I imagine may even accelerate. And the terminal AA now occupies at SFO is even nicer than the rest of the airport.

Now, having said this, my own domestic flying patterns make sticking with AA easier than it will be for many SFO-based folks. And ironically, my reliance on UA earlier in the year before its FF deterioration became clearer and my flying less than usual later in the year means that I'll retain 1K and lose EXP for 2012. But barring some unexpected changes in my travel or in UA's or AA's programs, I aim to reverse that for 2013.

[removed deleted quote and response - moderator]

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 17268591)

What else?

Washington has (or had) a FA base. Does STL still have a FA base?

hamete Oct 13, 2011 12:28 pm

That's too bad. I recently started flying more for business and tried to keep on AA, primarily because the SFO-HND flight is convenient...looks like I should just give up, accept that I have to fly into NRT and switch to UA...