Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by nyc6035
That sounds like it may be worth a call to the CitiGold line to find out.
I just called. The agent had a list of cards which are eligible for fee waivers, and it's not on there.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
It made perfect sense to those of us who thought for a couple of seconds and realized what the poster quite obviously meant.

Why cant people either respond politely (pointing out an error if there is one) or not respond at all? Am I the only one getting tired of the seemingly endless rudeness that permeates some of these threads?
Agreed.
FT has become a clique, and at least as they appear on this board, full of self important people who feel that they are "bothered" by people who post questions here.,
Sad.

HP
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I think I'm correct that, at $450 per year, this is the first Citi/AA card to waive baggage fees? Stunning given that other airline affinity cards give this benefit at a much lower cost. I didn't expect waived baggage fees with the big 75K/100K Citi offers with a waived first year fee, but I would have expected this benefit from a card with a $150-200 annual fee, not a Plat Amex fee.

There seems to be a middle ground where you'd get 50K miles, waived baggage fees, a couple of Admirals Club passes, and a $175 annual fee maybe (?) not waived.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
I just called. The agent had a list of cards which are eligible for fee waivers, and it's not on there.
Yet. Sometimes fee wavers have to catch up with new products.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by celica7101
It's a $450/yr annual fee, but positions it basically against the Continental Presidents from Chase and Amex Plat in terms of concierge, services. The difference is that it looks like it includes free access to Admirals Club only and has a 10kEQM bonus based on a $40k annual spend.

Is this worth it for someone who routinely racks up enough miles to get AA Plat status every year? I currently use the AmexPlat for Admirals Club access, but this could make it worth it to switch since I would get AA miles.
As a PLT, you could use $400 of that annual fee to start an Admirals Club membership (or renew at $350). The free bags and other perks don't add value to the AA travel experience if you already have them. With the difference, you could cover the annual fee of one of the other Citi AAdvantage cards.

I feel like I've seen 2 miles per $1 with another AA card before, but I might be mistaken. The initial bonus of 25k RDM versus the other 75k RDM cards which have floated out there doesn't seem that great.

The EQM is a nice touch, but the spending requirement feels high. (I might be biased by contrasting with giving up the 2% cash back on my Schwab Visa--may it rest in peace--and then doing a MR for the 10k EQM with my cash back, if nothing else [SPG, et. al.])
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:28 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
As a PLT, you could use $400 of that annual fee to start an Admirals Club membership (or renew at $350). The free bags and other perks don't add value to the AA travel experience if you already have them. With the difference, you could cover the annual fee of one of the other Citi AAdvantage cards.

I feel like I've seen 2 miles per $1 with another AA card before, but I might be mistaken. The initial bonus of 25k RDM versus the other 75k RDM cards which have floated out there doesn't seem that great.

The EQM is a nice touch, but the spending requirement feels high. (I might be biased by contrasting with giving up the 2% cash back on my Schwab Visa--may it rest in peace--and then doing a MR for the 10k EQM with my cash back, if nothing else [SPG, et. al.])
The Citibank aa business card had this feature.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Ross0

2) Does AC membership with this card act like the Amex PLT card or does it give the holder full AC benefits (i.e., wifi). I realize, this may be moot in a few months if AA switches to free wifi.
Reading the T&C's it is clear that the card includes a full regular AC membership for the primary cardholder. If an applicant is already an AC member and has more than 60 days of membership remaining, they will receive a prorated refund of their membership.

Also has some other Amex PLT-like amenities like warranty, price guarantee, etc...

With this in mind, the $450 annual fee doesn't seem outlandish.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:00 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trojanman
Reading the T&C's it is clear that the card includes a full regular AC membership for the primary cardholder. If an applicant is already an AC member and has more than 60 days of membership remaining, they will receive a prorated refund of their membership.

Also has some other Amex PLT-like amenities like warranty, price guarantee, etc...

The Amex plat. card has a few perks which the Citibank card doesn't:
(1)It will pay the $100 Global Entry fee
(2)If you designate aa as your "primary" airline, up to $200/yr in certain fees are reimbursed (airfares are NOT). Officially (it seems) that aa gift cards are not included in the $200, but in reality, a gift card $100 or less is included--this is discussed in the amex cc forum.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:03 pm

Agreed.

If somebody is a big spender - this seems like a great card to get. That kind of spending is way out of my league though haha!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:31 pm

The 10k EQM is nice, as is the AC membership. The annual fee is almost a wash with the AC membership. I might give it a whirl, the 40k a year is easily attainable, that's less than $3.5k a month.

--wes
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
The Amex plat. card has a few perks which the Citibank card doesn't:
(1)It will pay the $100 Global Entry fee
(2)If you designate aa as your "primary" airline, up to $200/yr in certain fees are reimbursed (airfares are NOT). Officially (it seems) that aa gift cards are not included in the $200, but in reality, a gift card $100 or less is included--this is discussed in the amex cc forum.
Add FHR, the best customer service in the credit card industry, lounge access on DL/US if you're flying them, Priority Pass, etc. The Citi/AA offering might be attractive at $200/yr or less, but not for $450.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA MM
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK

I haven't been around long enough to know about any cards that may have had this as a permanent feature, but I got a targeted promo for a Citi AAdvantage Gold Visa last July, which included 2 miles/$ for the first year only...that bonus just ran out for me, which makes me
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
I have an email into Citigold and expect to receive the same response tomorrow.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:39 pm

That was my read as well, but I'm still unclear as to whether that means the card holder's AAdvantage number will show as an AC member when the person attempts to access wifi at the AC.

It would be great if it actually gives AC membership, as opposed to access, as the T&Cs indicate.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
The "no fees on foreign transactions" is a plus if you travel internationally a lot, which the other Citi AAdvantage cards do not offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.