Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Cannot use voucher for Hawaii interisland tickets (original title: AA Screw Up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa, delta, amex, ba

I spend 1/2 hr with aa rep biiking my inter island hawaii flights. i told her i had a voucher (no problem), give her credit card. She said sign the back and mail it in. Under my reservations it says Day 1 ticketed, Day 2 purchased, Day 3 unknown. I call and am told that i cannot use voucher (already mailed it in). As you cannot use an AA voucher for hawaii tickets. Shouldnt they have know this? They said they already charged me. Now the ticket is much more and I need to decide ASAP.

Nice American

Last edited by dstan; Jun 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Whoever told you that is ill informed--becoming way too typical with the AAgents these days. Does it still say Unknown?

I used a transportation voucher just two months ago to book a ticket that included an interisland flight on Hawaiian airlines. The status said unknown until the voucher was processed by the folks in Florida.

Ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:50 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
anniefree, are your interisland flights booked on a Hawaiian Airlines coded flight (HA flight number) or an AA codeshare operated by Hawaiian Airlines (AA flight number)?

Please note that there is a wiki page with Voucher rules:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...chers_%28AA%29

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The title of this thread has been updated to make it more descriptive for the benefit of all members, as required in the FT Rules: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q63

/Moderator
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by demkr
Whoever told you that is ill informed--becoming way too typical with the AAgents these days. Does it still say Unknown?

I used a transportation voucher just two months ago to book a ticket that included an interisland flight on Hawaiian airlines. The status said unknown until the voucher was processed by the folks in Florida.

Ask to speak to a supervisor.
That's because you can only use a voucher for an AA-coded interisland flight, and the only way to get an AA-coded interinsland flight is to have it be a part of (connection) an AA trip to or from the mainland. That's why you were able to use your voucher and why the OP couldn't use his.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
That's because you can only use a voucher for an AA-coded interisland flight, and the only way to get an AA-coded interinsland flight is to have it be a part of (connection) an AA trip to or from the mainland. That's why you were able to use your voucher and why the OP couldn't use his.
That was my suspicion, although we may not yet have enough info from the OP to know for sure that this was the problem.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anniefree
I spend 1/2 hr with aa rep biiking my inter island hawaii flights. i told her i had a voucher (no problem), give her credit card. She said sign the back and mail it in. Under my reservations it says Day 1 ticketed, Day 2 purchased, Day 3 unknown. I call and am told that i cannot use voucher (already mailed it in). As you cannot use an AA voucher for hawaii tickets. Shouldnt they have know this? They said they already charged me. Now the ticket is much more and I need to decide ASAP.
Furthermore, IIRC you cannot use a voucher after purchasing tickets. You have to put them on hold, and as such they will show as held (not purhcased, not ticketed), then after you talk to the voucher people in Florida (per the Wiki) and get this info to send in, they will put on purchased (but still not ticketed), and it will only turn into ticketed after the voucher is applied.

So I'm confused about the order you did this and when the voucher was mailed versus when the status for "day 1, day 2, day 3" as you put it appeared. And I'm confused what AA rep you're referring to, as the agent who books flights is not the same as the person who hanldes a voucher (vouchers are handled out of a separate office, and if you put stuff on hold online, you have to talk to web services, not reservations, about them).
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa, delta, amex, ba
aa screw up

they booked the mainland flts with a seperate record locater. and the inter island flights are on a seperate booking.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by anniefree
they booked the mainland flts with a seperate record locater. and the inter island flights are on a seperate booking.
Well that explains it - as i_fly_AA noted, you can only use vouchers on AA-marketed flights, including AA codeshares operated by HA. If you booked your interisland flights separately, they are certainly on HA flight numbers, and therefore you were rightly denied the use of the vouchers.

Should the rep you originally spoke with have known this? Absolutely. Although I have to say that the details you've provided thus far don't make it clear exactly what transpired on that phone call. When you say "they" booked you on separate itineraries, are you implying that AA refused to book them on a single itinerary, or that you chose to do so?

At any rate, I think the takehome message is that forewarned is forearmed - there are lots of things that FTers collectively know that individual AA reps sometimes may not know or may be mistaken about. Best to do your research here first, so you'll know what you should expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.