Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Hoc
I was in Riverside yesterday, so I went to the Costco across from Ontario Mills yesterday evening. For the record, it's the Rancho Cucuamonga Costco.

Went to the area where they have all the gift cards and couldn't find it. Then I asked the floor personnel where they were, and they told me that they didn't carry them. Thank goodness that I didn't trust them and leave. I continued to wander the store, and found an area about 100 feet from the entrance where they also had gift cards, and there were a bunch of AA gift cards in that area. So I bought a few and left. But they still have a whole bunch left.
Yes, no is often the easier answer, right or wrong is usually not important. No sends the customer off disappointed. Yes is typically followed by "Where?" and that's just more work.

Congrats on finding them. Another suggestion is to ask at the customer service desk on the way in. They should be able to tell you not only if they have them there (although they may not know where), but also if any nearby warehouse also carries them. Supposedly all the check-out clerk needs is the stock number and not the promo card. Guessing the stock number is still 576515 and it is the same everywhere.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Guessing the stock number is still 576515 and it is the same everywhere.
Might make sense to just let certain repeat customers take a cardboard placeholder home. No having to find it...just bring it in, go to checker, have is scanned a bunch of times, pick them up and leave the the placeholder as well

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Might make sense to just let certain repeat customers take a cardboard placeholder home. No having to find it...just bring it in, go to checker, have is scanned a bunch of times, pick them up and leave the the placeholder as well

Cheers.
Sounds like a great idea! They shouldn't mind if I ask to keep the cardboard the next time I get a stack.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
No need for the cardboard... Just give the clerk the item number. I keep it in my phone when checking at Member Services. Just stopped in at Costco in Citrus Heights and asked if she could check the stock number and she gave me the current stock price for Costco! Got a look at the list and closest was Livermore with 0 in stock.

For those techie types, take a photo of the bar code on your phone and let the clerk scan that.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:47 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No need for the cardboard... Just give the clerk the item number. I keep it in my phone when checking at Member Services. Just stopped in at Costco in Citrus Heights and asked if she could check the stock number and she gave me the current stock price for Costco! Got a look at the list and closest was Livermore with 0 in stock.

For those techie types, take a photo of the bar code on your phone and let the clerk scan that.
"current stock price for Costco" = their cost?

Great idea keeping the item number, even better with the phone photo!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I was in Costco Davie (FL) earlier today and checked the gift card area, and saw no AA cards

I didn't stop to ask for a computer check as the manager's island and the membership desk were both swamped. I might be near the Pembroke Pines store tomorrow, and will check.

It IS encouraging, though, that more locations are receiving the cards.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I generally call the location the day before to ask if they have inventory, as I wouldn't otherwise go to the 3 Costcos I can get to that stock them. (The 2 locations I do generally use don't stock them.) Once in the store, I just go to the cashier, give them the inventory number and tell them how many I want.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lili
"current stock price for Costco" = their cost?

Great idea keeping the item number, even better with the phone photo!
I thought he meant the price for a share of Costco, ticker symbol COST
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by rfrost
I generally call the location the day before to ask if they have inventory, as I wouldn't otherwise go to the 3 Costcos I can get to that stock them. (The 2 locations I do generally use don't stock them.) Once in the store, I just go to the cashier, give them the inventory number and tell them how many I want.
I'm in CT not far from NYC and noticed your NYC location. What Costco locations are you getting them from? They are not stocking them in the stores near me yet.

Thanks in advance for the info.

AAmlgm8r
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r
I'm in CT not far from NYC and noticed your NYC location. What Costco locations are you getting them from? They are not stocking them in the stores near me yet.

AAmlgm8r
Costco in Queens has them.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
He has been keeping that secret, huh? Ha!

It will cost you 1.2%, but you can go to a supermarket and buy $500 Amex gift cards with any CC. Fee is $6. Then use those at Costco. No problem.

I discovered Friday you have to wait 70 minutes for them to register in the computer.

There is also a Target Amex card I have yet to investigate. $3 to buy for $500, IIRC. Then you can reload with any CC.

Or do the online trick mentioned above
Why not go thru BigCrumbs and get back 1.6% on the purchase, and there are always codes for free fees or no shipping fees. I use a grandfathered Travelocity Rewards Amex Card from the M/C days so I get on a $5K purchase $200 in Travelocity credit and $80 for $8.95 in fees.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r

AAmlgm8r
As noted in one of the posts above, the Costco in Rego Park (Junction Blvd right off the LIE) has been carrying them, as has the Manhattan Costco. I believe someone posted some time ago that these were the only two metro NY Costcos to carry them--I can tell you for certain that my favored Costcos in Suffolk County don't!
I'm in Washington fairly often, and the Pentagon City Costco is mercifully close to the metro, so that's my third (and, because it's so much quicker picking them up there, my preferred) location.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Chicago Lincoln Park has "108 of them" as of now.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
At some point recently, apparently when the price of Executive Membership went from $100 to $110 a year, Costco increased the maximum annual 2% refund from $500 to $750.

Good news for those heading for $37,500 at $269.99 a crack.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
At some point recently, apparently when the price of Executive Membership went from $100 to $110 a year, Costco increased the maximum annual 2% refund from $500 to $750.

Good news for those heading for $37,500 at $269.99 a crack.
That raises a question in my mind. For anyone who has purchased the cards at Costco, is there any disclaimer that these cards are not eligible for the typical 2% back to Costco Executive Members? I know that disclaimer applies to the purchase of postage stamps, but that may be some governmental/USPS regulation.

AAmlgm8r

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.