Wiki Posts
Search

Flight change: nonstop to layover?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Flight change: nonstop to layover?!

So my wife & I were booked nonstop from ORD to CUN in November, paid more for the tickets to have the non-stop.

Today, I receive a call (automated message saying my itinerary has changed). I am used to this all the time on UA.... figure the times changed. Oh no, my nonstop ORD to CUN on 11/11 is now a layover in DFW. There are apparently no nonstops on the schedule for that day anymore. As of now, our return is still showing nonstop.

I am blown away AA would get rid of all the nonstops, my bigger concern, what if one is added back into the schedule later, will I be able to get back to nonstop?

I'm a AA Platinum, haven't run into this before. Any suggestions before I call to complain (not that much can happen, if nothing is on the schedule.)

Last edited by psubill78; Apr 27, 2011 at 7:07 am Reason: messed up flt date.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:25 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
If it's been pulled from the schedule, there is nothing you can do, other than reschedule your trip due to the schedule change.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

I understand that I can't make them put in a flight that doesn't exist, however, I find it really hard to believe they are cutting nonstop ORD to CUN - and my concern, what if it gets put back in - next month, for example. Am I stuck with layover flights at that point.

Is there any resource I can work on to get my money back so I can go to UA for nonstop?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by psubill78
I understand that I can't make them put in a flight that doesn't exist, however, I find it really hard to believe they are cutting nonstop ORD to CUN - and my concern, what if it gets put back in - next month, for example. Am I stuck with layover flights at that point.

Is there any resource I can work on to get my money back so I can go to UA for nonstop?
You can almost certainly get a full refund with this type of schedule change.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:36 pm

I find it really hard to believe they are cutting nonstop ORD to CUN
Well you know AA--the incredible shrinking airline!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Save a copy of your original itinerary/ticket showing you booked on the nonstop. If the nonstop were to come back, give AA a call and explain the situation, hopefully they'd put you back.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
You can almost certainly get a full refund with this type of schedule change.
They only offered me a voucher in the amount of the fare..

This sucks.... I'm going to wait for them to put the nonstop back in. I've always found AA's caribbean service pretty good, I really hope they don't mess that up.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They only offered me a voucher in the amount of the fare..
A change from a non-stop to direct, or from direct to a connection, gives you a right (thank the DOT) to a full refund to the original form of payment. A 'significant' schedule change does, too.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A change from a non-stop to direct, or from direct to a connection, gives you a right (thank the DOT) to a full refund to the original form of payment. A 'significant' schedule change does, too.
Had the same experience on a different route a while back. (A really common occurrence out of STL these last few years.)

For future reference, I would really appreciate a link to the documentation of the right to refund if that's handy. (If not, many of us will be searching, I'm sure.) Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
You are flying in the fall, when AA heavily reduces Caribbean flying between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Not only does demand literally collapse during this period, but it gives AA slack in the fleet to put planes into heavy maintenance checks.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dia1
Had the same experience on a different route a while back. (A really common occurrence out of STL these last few years.)

For future reference, I would really appreciate a link to the documentation of the right to refund if that's handy. (If not, many of us will be searching, I'm sure.) Thanks!
See the second paragraph of this industry notice letter.

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/20010925.htm
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:04 pm
Suspended

So my wife & I were booked nonstop from ORD to CUN in November, paid more for the tickets to have the non-stop.

Today, I receive a call (automated message saying my itinerary has changed). ... Oh no, my nonstop ORD to CUN on 11/18 is now a layover in DFW. There are apparently no nonstops on the schedule for that day anymore.
Weird. AA 445 on that date is still showing as nonstop (and available) on both aa.com and ITA.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Apr 27, 2011 at 3:29 am
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Weird. AA 445 on that date is still showing as nonstop (and available) on both aa.com and ITA.
OK, I actually messed up the date. We are flying ORD to CUN 11/11 (the friday before) our return is 11/18 (where there still in a nonstop.)

445 was the flight we were actually on. It's no longer running on 11/11 (or 11/4 for that matter).

Sorry for the confusion.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I'm not too surprised by the cutback... ever since the travel warning, Mexico tourism is waaaayyyyy down. I was in COZ during Spring Break time and not only was my plane 1/3 full, the hotel was like a ghost town.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma dog
I'm not too surprised by the cutback... ever since the travel warning, Mexico tourism is waaaayyyyy down. I was in COZ during Spring Break time and not only was my plane 1/3 full, the hotel was like a ghost town.
I don't believe the Cancun area is even on the travel warning.

I'm hoping it's empty. More drinks for me... LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.