Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan earthquake related AA events / flight diversions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by brenc3
So I have to make a last minute trip to SYD next week. Unsurprisingly, routing via NRT (2 separate tickets SAN-LAX-NRT/NRT-SYD) has wide open availability. Can confirm eVIPs both ways, and the QF segments are nearly empty, so I'm hoping to snag a whole row for myself.

Scheduling is not onerous, and it's $100s cheaper than getting on the LAX-SYD nonstop, which would be in whY both ways. Am I crazy to be considering this?
No! It depends on you, but I'd take the longer route if I can maximize my J/Y time ratio.

How long is the Y part NRT-SYD anyway? It looks like 6 hours or so?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
How long is the Y part NRT-SYD anyway? It looks like 6 hours or so?
NRT-SYD is blocked for 15hrs because they make a stop in HKG. QF is not overnighting crews in NRT for now, so they pick up a crew in HKG. The return is nonstop and blocked for 10hrs - still 4850 mi.

I do get a few more miles for this routing, but not as much as you'd think, since the QF segments only earn 50%.

The improved J/Y ratio and the emptiness of the Y cabin on QF is pushing me in that direction. It's always risky to travel on 2 separate tickets and the current situation makes it riskier. That's my main concern.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's always risky to travel on 2 separate tickets and the current situation makes it riskier. That's my main concern.
Put both tickets on one PNR.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Put both tickets on one PNR.
I'm not finding any way to book both tickets at once. The QF sectors are of some discount Y basis. Can AA put 2 tickets on one PNR when ticket #2 is not an AA flight? Would it even make a difference for protecting me if things go awry?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:01 pm

NRT-SYD is blocked for 15hrs because they make a stop in HKG. QF is not overnighting crews in NRT for now, so they pick up a crew in HKG. The return is nonstop and blocked for 10hrs - still 4850 mi.

I do get a few more miles for this routing, but not as much as you'd think, since the QF segments only earn 50%.

The improved J/Y ratio and the emptiness of the Y cabin on QF is pushing me in that direction. It's always risky to travel on 2 separate tickets and the current situation makes it riskier. That's my main concern.
Also consider routing via PVG. NRT-SYD and PVG-SYD are almost the same distance. However, PVG-SYD has no stop. Also, AA's new LAX-PVG will earn you bonus miles.

However, note that the new route only starts on April 5 and upgrade availability may not be as good.

If you want to book the QF flights on the same ticket, you can try selecting All carriers on aa.com and see if it shows up (not all discounted fares on other carriers shows up on aa.com). Calling the reservation may also help.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ckpeter
If you want to book the QF flights on the same ticket, you can try selecting All carriers on aa.com and see if it shows up (not all discounted fares on other carriers shows up on aa.com). Calling the reservation may also help.
Not an expert at all on AA's site for non-AA carriers (I've used it to book a couple of non-AA flights, but that's it), but would choosing "All Carriers" in conjunction with forcing the routing via multi-city make it work?

OK, too curious to just let that question stand.

I just tested it for grins and giggles and it gave me the option for AA LAX-NRT and QF (flight 22) NRT-SYD (9 hours, 50 minutes), so it looks like it will let you book. Not sure how the fare will price out for you, though--it was pricing out with N class on the AA flights but Y on the QF flights, at least on the dates I was playing with (4/5-4/10).

Oh, I was searching by schedule under multi-city. Searching by price under multi-city, I couldn't get the flights you wanted to show up. I also couldn't get it to show up searching by schedule under round-trip--I could get the outbound (LAX-NRT-SYD on AA and QF), but on the return, the only option to NRT was JL. (And searching by price under round-trip, nothing via NRT was offered at all.)
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:55 pm

The QF segments NRT-SYD are pricing on a deep discount Y on the QF website. On AA.com I can get the flights to come up, but they price much more expensively. I can't book all in one place for a reasonable price. And I was seeing the return SYD-NRT occasionally disappearing from searches.

Interestingly, in my searching, I see a difference between searching "AA and OW" vs. "All Carriers". "All Carriers" seems to not return some low priced options that are a combination of OW carriers, say AA and QF. I should try that methodically to see what gets lost. But it appears that "All Carriers" does not include all possible results for AA only or AA+OW.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
The QF segments NRT-SYD are pricing on a deep discount Y on the QF website. On AA.com I can get the flights to come up, but they price much more expensively. I can't book all in one place for a reasonable price. And I was seeing the return SYD-NRT occasionally disappearing from searches.
It might be worth a call to the EXP desk to see if the agent can book what you see on the QF and on AA.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
AA suspends one DFW-NRT & JFK-HND

With DL and UA announcing cuts to Japan, it was only a matter of time before AA decided to follow suit. Suspended until April 26.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:33 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW, my refund was credited to my card today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.