Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan earthquake related AA events / flight diversions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by pdog02
The last parenthetical part of your post should give you a clue as to why AA is not allowing reroutes over the Atlantic. On MPM fares one is not permitted to change the global indicator on a fare for a voluntary reroute. An involuntary reroute day of departure might be a different beast. For a little primer on MPM fares and global indicators this nifty little PDF may come in handy.
Interesting. Thanks.

I wonder at what point it becomes "involuntary." Having warnings from a gov't advising people to evacuate Tokyo seems pretty borderline to me.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Interesting. Thanks.

I wonder at what point it becomes "involuntary." Having warnings from a gov't advising people to evacuate Tokyo seems pretty borderline to me.
It becomes "involuntary" when the governing carrier (AA) cancels the flight. Until then and despite gov't warnings, it is still your choice; IE voluntary. And by the way I could find no news articles or references anywhere online to any GOVT ordering evacuations of Tokyo. I mean really after all you're transiting NRT for a few hours at most its not like your relocating there.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by pdog02
It becomes "involuntary" when the governing carrier (AA) cancels the flight. Until then and despite gov't warnings, it is still your choice; IE voluntary. And by the way I could find no news articles or references anywhere online to any GOVT ordering evacuations of Tokyo. I mean really after all your transiting NRT for a few hours at most its not like your relocating there.
I'm not surprised you could not find those news articles/references. I didn't say "ordering." I said advising.

As of this point, both the French (Link) and UK (Link) governments have advised their citizens to leave Tokyo.

We also know several airlines (e.g., Luftansa, KLM, EVA, China Air) have canceled flights to/from NRT and several others are making alternative arrangements (e.g., QF and BA are stopping in HKG on way to NRT).
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:39 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Well, the official word from AA is that, if I change my flight dates, I will lose my eVIP and my upgrade. And if I cancel the flight, there is no refund.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
Well, the official word from AA is that, if I change my flight dates, I will lose my eVIP and my upgrade. And if I cancel the flight, there is no refund.
I've had AAgents offer to cancel my flights for a full-refund, including no $250 cancellation charge. You may want to call back, if cancellation is your desired course of action.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:47 pm

I'm not surprised you could not find those news articles/references. I didn't say "ordering." I said advising.

As of this point, both the French (Link) and UK (Link) governments have advised their citizens to leave Tokyo.

We also know several airlines (e.g., Luftansa, KLM, EVA, China Air) have canceled flights to/from NRT and several others are making alternative arrangements (e.g., QF and BA are stopping in HKG on way to NRT).
Fair enough, and if you decide to travel as ticketed at no additional cost you also will be leaving Tokyo in short order.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had AAgents offer to cancel my flights for a full-refund, including no $250 cancellation charge. You may want to call back, if cancellation is your desired course of action.
Happy to report, that last night an understanding agent cancelled an NRT award ticket and refunded the miles with the redeposit fee waived. Thx AA!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:07 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
OK, I'll try again.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, CO, UA, HHonors
Just an update on the situation, the US Ambasador to Japan has issued the following...

"As radiation levels in the air above the Fukushima Daiichi plant spiked dangerously for the second consecutive day, the U.S. ambassador to Japan, John V. Roos, issued a recommendation based on a review of “the deteriorating situation” at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant by experts from the NRC and Energy Department.

“Consistent with the NRC guidelines that apply to such a situation in the United States, we are recommending, as a precaution, that American citizens who live within 50 miles (80 kilometers) of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant evacuate the area or to take shelter indoors if safe evacuation is not practical,” Roos said in a statement."

(From Washingtonpost.com)
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
Tomorrow I am flying HKG-NRT-ORD-STL so I'll report how things are at Narita.

I called the EXP desk 2 days ago to try to reroute through Shanghai (PVG) and was told the only way to do that was to pay a rebooking fee and the fare difference unless AA cancelled NRT flights.

On my flights over, the ORD-NRT leg was cancelled so I ended up losing my business class seat (VIP upgrade) and flew in economy from LAX-HKG. It's been a long time since I had to sit 15 hours in the back....my old body isn't made for that anymore. So my choice for tomorrow was to give up my upgrade and pay more to eliminate Japan and end up sitting in the back again or take my chances. Wife will kill me but I'm sticking to my original itinerary.

The news in Southern China is somewhat limited. But things look ok in Tokyo and Narita airport. Interestingly, a week ago there were only 4 seats showing available in business class on the NRT-ORD flight. Today it shows 24 seats available so I guess quite a few people bailed.

I'll post from Japan for an update. God bless the Japanese people!

Last edited by chiproos; Mar 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:22 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
No penalty for cancelling, but I only got a voucher = to what I paid.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
I had a DFW-NRT-SIN route on the 26th with a confirmed eVIP, switched to DFW-LAX-HKG-SIN primarily on CX, unfortunately all coach then but got the eVIP redeposited and no change fee (but did have to pay a fare diff, luckily it was a company paid ticket).

Definitely not looking forward to the LAX-HKG 15.5 hour flight in Y, but seems like the safer bet and certainly nothing compared to what our friends in Japan are going through right now...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:10 pm

I'm still surprised there have been no cancellations/changes to flights to Tokyo by the US carriers. It is quite baffling to me, esp. in light of today's developments and the head of the US NRC's statements.

I'm also surprised we have not been hearing more stories like this . I've been wondering about crews on these flights and have to imagine AA has seen a lot of crew members attempting to get off the flights to NRT.

Last edited by Ross0; Mar 16, 2011 at 7:15 pm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frankly, I am not sure how those crews can get any sleep in Tokyo between the aftershocks and the stress from the nuclear emergency; they obviously can't take a sleeping pill as they need to be alert in case of a sudden evacuation. They must be wrecks by the time they're back at the airport for the flight back.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I'm still surprised there have been no cancellations/changes to flights to Tokyo by the US carriers. It is quite baffling to me, esp. in light of today's developments and the head of the US NRC's statements.

I'm also surprised we have not been hearing more stories like this . I've been wondering about crews on these flights and have to imagine AA has seen a lot of crew members attempting to get off the flights to NRT.
I was thinking the same thing. European airlines have cancelled flights entirely, Qantas is making a stop in HKG so flight crews can overnight there. Really surprised that the American carriers haven't adjusted schedules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.