Telephone Ticketing Fee --> Increased to $25 --> now more

Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Class action for what?

There is no entitlement to being able to book online and there are plenty of other portals for making bookings
Well, if we're on the subject of entitlements, are you suggesting that mrcase100 is not entitled to try to initiate a class action suit against AA?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Well, if we're on the subject of entitlements, are you suggesting that mrcase100 is not entitled to try to initiate a class action suit against AA?
I am suggesting that it is one of the more inane suggestions that I have seen on the forum

I am not suggesting that he is not allowed to try, just that it seems risible to try and sue AA for charging the telephone booking fee to someone who booked using a telephone
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:22 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am suggesting that it is one of the more inane suggestions that I have seen on the forum

I am not suggesting that he is not allowed to try, just that it seems risible to try and sue AA for charging the telephone booking fee to someone who booked using a telephone
No, not really. If they offer no other alternative, then the risible part is AA actually charging the fee in those cases.

I have a feeling that the suit would not fare well since the fee is disclosed, but it is clearly unreasonable for AA to charge a fee due to the inadequacies of their website. Even the "AA can do no wrong" crowd has to be disappointed with the website.

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On what legal basis is the suit? Good luck with that!

Nobody likes what the airlines do, especially now that a goodly percentage of their income is from all the add-on and "a la carte" fees. But I am curious on what basis the attorneys believe this will hold up in a court of law.

Originally Posted by mrcase100
Was forced to call AA due to their website not being able to process DEN-->BKK, and got hit with a $25 "telephone ticketing service" fee. If there's anyone out there in CA, OR, or WA who had this happen to them, let me know if you're interested in hitting AA with a class action...who knows...maybe it will force them to get off their butts and upgrade their website ticketing.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
On what legal basis is the suit? Good luck with that!

Nobody likes what the airlines do, especially now that a goodly percentage of their income is from all the add-on and "a la carte" fees. But I am curious on what basis the attorneys believe this will hold up in a court of law.
I don't see a basis for the lawsuit.
There is no law restricting airlines from charging fees.
Booking by phone means they have to have agents to answer the phone.
Who should pay the cost of this service, other than those people who book by phone?
The other option would be for the airline to include phone fees in the price and give $25 discounts to people who book online.
On the other hand, WN does something similar with web only fares.
You only get the discount if booking online for this discounted fare.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
You only get the discount if booking online for this discounted fare.
What about if inadequacies of AA's website don't allow booking online, even if one wants to?

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Class action for what?

There is no entitlement to being able to book online and there are plenty of other portals for making bookings
Which free portal would you use to book an AAdvantage Award for travel to BKK?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by brp
What about if inadequacies of AA's website don't allow booking online, even if one wants to?

Cheers.
The fee is for the telephone service. If the service is used, then valid for AA to charge it. That some bookings cannot be done online is annoying, like how booking Qantas award flights used to incur a fee .

Look on the plus side, the $25 fee is better than the booking fee for AA in Australia of AUD60 (USD62.5) and AA in NZ of NZD45 ( USD37 )

The telephone booking fee may be a pain, but I don't see anything that would jutify a lawuit
Old May 21, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Has this fee gone up to $35? I called yesterday and put a reservation on hold and when she read off the price I think she said it will be $35 to book by phone. It's on hold now, but I can't seem to pay for it online to avoid the fee, is that common? The routing is LAS-PHX-ORD-DOH one way.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Has this fee gone up to $35? I called yesterday and put a reservation on hold and when she read off the price I think she said it will be $35 to book by phone. It's on hold now, but I can't seem to pay for it online to avoid the fee, is that common? The routing is LAS-PHX-ORD-DOH one way.
The fee went up to $35 for international itineraries. Wholly domestic itineraries are still charged the $25 fee.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Any reason why I shouldn't be able to book it online?
Old May 21, 2014, 7:13 pm

Any reason why I shouldn't be able to book it online?
Assuming this isn't an award booking , in which case it will depend upon the airlines in question, then no particular reason why LAS-DOH could not be booked online. Have just tried making a dummy LAS-DOH booking online with no issues

If you phoned and held it with an agent, then it is not iirc going to be able to purchase it online
Old May 21, 2014, 8:34 pm

It's an award booking. LAS-PHX-ORD on AA and then ORD-DOH on QR. No online booking?
Old May 21, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It's an award booking. LAS-PHX-ORD on AA and then ORD-DOH on QR. No online booking?
Nope: aa.com does not (currently) support award bookings on QR.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:48 pm

Then you are up for the $35 telephone booking fee .. or call another country if it has a lower ticketing fee

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.