Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is obsolete. The 2014 / 2015 status match challenges offered to flyers from United Airlines is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Elite Status EXP / Exec. Platinum Challenge/Exception (Executive Platinum

Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA

AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge/Exception (EXECUTIVE PLATINUM: XP/EXP/ExecP)

UPDATE: This exclusive program is NO longer being offered unfortunately. Folks interested may check with AA Customer Service if it is being offered again in the future. Congrats to all those who signed up. This thread will still benefit those who signed up and may need helpful info to complete the challenge. Cheers!

I am putting together this extensive guide for (1) Folks interested in obtaining and (2) successfully completing the Executive Platinum Challenge (or sometimes called "XP Exception"). This guide and the following is meant to be useful for all those wanting to obtain XP status through this opportunity. Please kindly note and respect the intention of this thread.

This program like other elite status challenges is an unpublished offer by AA. It appears to be intended to lure top tier elites in competing airlines (UA, DL, US, CO etc) to the dAArk side. But unlike other challenges this one is FREE. For example, 1K/GS members from United are matched to Platinum status for free AND are given 3 months (starting time of their choosing) to complete 25K EQPs (Elite Qualifying Points). Upon successful completion of 25K Points within 3 months, one is made a FULL Executive Platinum member. This (challenge/exception) status is good through February of the following year unless the challenge was started after June 15 in which cases the XP status will be valid for an additional year. For example if someone starts the challenge on or after June 16 in 2011 then upon successful completion of 25K EQPs will get XP status good until Feb 2013. Challenges started on or before June 15 will get EXP status good through February 2012.

Like all other challenge offers by AA, XP challenge/exception is a fastrack to XP status. You still have to qualify by regular methods if you want to maintain XP status beyond the gratis period. So if you are doing a challenge this year and start before June 16, then you will get XP for Feb. 2012. However if you want XP for 2013, you will still have to fly 100K EQPs/EQMs in 2011 OR start your challenge after June 16th.

The following is borrowed from a similar thread on status challenge for GOLD and PLATINUM status. Lots of useful information can be found in these threads:

Wiki: Elite Status Challenge
Has good general info on elite status match but only mentions gold and platinum status challenges.

FT: AA GLD & PLT Elite Status Challenges
FT's thread on Gold and Platinum status match.

FT: An excellent guide written by an EXP with 1K status on United.
The guide is somewhat dated but some of it may still be useful.

NOTE:
(1) Please kindly contact me via pm if you have suggestions, questions, criticisms etc. Also welcome additions and/or new information that I may have left out. Help me to make this an excellent and extensive guide for XP challenge. Thanks.

(2) This thread aims to be resourceful to eligible readers seeking and completing the XP Challenge.

(3) I'll be happy to respond to questions by PM only. But I will NOT respond to specific questions/inquiries posted in this thread.

(4) For reasons of literary aesthetics, I use the abbreviation "XP" for Executive Platinum. This may go against the conventional and more combersome "EXP". But in the meaning and its referent, "XP" and "EXP" remain the same. You are welcome to follow your own preference.

KEWORDS: American Airlines Status Match; Executive Platinum Free Status; AA Free Elite Status.

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; May 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm Reason: Revisions
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

How to get started!

UPDATE: This exclusive program is NO longer being offered unfortunately. Folks interested may check with AA Customer Service if it is being offered again in the future. Congrats to all those who signed up. This thread will still benefit those who signed up and may need helpful info to complete the challenge. Cheers!

It's easy as 1, 2, 3, 4.

(1) Call American Airlines on +1 800 433 7300, assuming you are a top tier elite in a competing airline. AA general reservations line is open 24 hours; however Customer Service and Executive Offices have limited opening hours. Ask to be transferred to AAdvantage Customer Service. Explain that you are seeking Executive Platinum Challenge/Exception. (Total time: 5-10mins)

(2) Wait to receive an e-mail requesting a copy of either your current elite card or online activity statement. (0 Wait time. E-mail is sent instantly whilst you are on the phone with AA Customer Service).

(3) Send the requested info by e-mail/fax. (1-2 mins or longer if you need)

(4) Wait to receive a phone call from someone from the AA Executive Offices and welcome you to the program. You will be offered instant Platinum status and asked to choose when you would like your EXP challenge period to start. (1-5 business days)

It is really that simple! And best of all it is FREE!

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; May 4, 2011 at 6:14 pm Reason: Clarified nomenclature.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

FAQS

Some Frequently Asked Questions:

(1) Does AA offer status match/challenge/exception to its published top tier elite program?
YES. AA offers Executive Platinum Challenge to top tier elites in competing airlines. Folks starting the challenge are given instant Platinum status for FREE and are given 3 months (start time of their choosing) to earn 25K EQPs.

(2) How much does it cost?
FREE. See (1)

(3) Am I eligible?
So far we have confirmed reports from the following elites in successfully enrolling into the XP challenge: Global Services and 1K members from United and Diamond Medallion Members from Delta. (Elites from other airlines who have been able to successfully obtain EXP Challenge are welcome to contact me and I will update this section accordingly. Thanks!)

(4) How do I sign up?
See post #2.

(5) How do I earn 25K EQPs?
Great Question! You earn 25K Elite Qualifying Points by flying AA or AA codeshare partners (with AA flight numbers) within a period of 3 months.

First class (A, F, P) earn 1.5 EQP/mile
Business class (D, I, J) earn 1.5 EQP/mile
Full Economy (B, Y) earn 1.5 EQP/mile
Discount Economy (H, M, K, L, W, V) earn 1 EQP/mile
Heavily Discounted Economy (G, Q, N, O*, S) earn 0.5 EQP/mile.

*Please note that O fares from anywhere in North America to Latin America earns 0 EQPs.

So completing this challenge is easiest if you fly First/Business and somewhat challenging if you are on heavily discounted fares. However, keep a watch for post#4, where you may find some very attractive deals including very affordable business and first class fares.

(6) What is the difference between EQPs and EQMs and why do they both matter?
EQPs = Elite Qualifying Points. EQMs = Elite Qualifying Miles. To complete this challenge, you want to focus on getting 25K EQPs. However, when you are done with the challenge, then you may shift your attention to EQMs as it might be more economical to maximize EQMs vis a vis EQPs.

(7) How much will it cost me to earn 25K EQPs?
This depends on how much you spend on your qualifying flights of course. Please be mindful of the fare classes listed in (5). Sometimes it pays to "upfare" to a class that earns 1EQP/mile or 1.5EQP/mile. If you are doing EQP runs to earn 25K points, then budget somewhere between $1500 to $2000 to meet the challenge. And all this while sipping your cocktail in First/Business, flying to an exotic location for a holiday and earning RDMS towards your next *O (One World) award travel.

(8) What are the benefits of this offer?
Instant Platinum status, which is equivalent to 1P on United. You get 100% RDMs; priority seating, exit rows, extra luggage, lounge (One World Sapphire) access. Then XP, which is equivalent to 1K on United if you complete the challenge. Great way to start flying AA. You also get 8 SWU vouchers good until Feb 2011.

(9) Isn't 3 months a very short time to do this challenge?
Not if you ask these AA flyers who have earned 100 EQMs in two months or less. I am not endorsing this. You know what is best for you.

(10) When will this program be offered again?
No idea. Keep calling AA to find out. Good luck.

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Apr 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

List of Good EQP/EQM runs for XP Challenge

This space will offer links to some attractive EQP/EQM runs for completing the XP Challenge. For now look at the MILEAGE RUN FORUM for some neat ideas. Feel free to PM me if you know of any great EQP runs. Thanks!

LIST A (1.5 EQP Deals)
1. LAX-JFK-SJU-SKB-MIA-SFO-LAX, with ALL segments booked in B so 1.5 EQPs. Total cost was a little over 1K with 10% discount voucher. About 13,400 EQPs with complimentary upgrades to business/first and a fully flexible fare. Two of these and you are done.

2. ~ 20K EQPs for 1300 r/ai after 10% discount. All segments on A (First) or I (Business). In fact the prices for First and Business fares come out cheaper (YES, indeed cheaper) than the coach prices. You will have to PM me for hints/additional info.

3. Lots of deals from some cities in North America to Central America and Ecuador. These fares were posted by izzik on March 5 on Good Deal Premium thread. See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...2011-a-23.html. Some fares are ~$700 ai for Business/First class. Two of these and you are done with 25K EQPs.

4. Fares to Europe. See some of these threads for cheap Business fares by AA to Europe:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...biz-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ess-class.html

RTW Deals
1. LONE3 fares from some places are under $2500 (taxes excluded). L fare earns 1 EQP/mile so not bad. I've read folks maximizing their EQMs upto 66K in one LONE3!

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Mar 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm Reason: Updated offers
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Top tier elites on competing airlines can call American Airlines on +1 8004337300. AA general reservations line is open 24 hours; however Customer Solutions and Executive Desk have limited opening hours.

Ask to be transferred to either AAdvantage Customer Solutions or AA Executive Desk. ...

Hmmm...... I've never heard of "AAdvantage Customer Solutions" or "AA Executive Desk."

I have heard of AAdvantage Customer Service and AA Executive Platinum Desk and AA Executive Offices.

Perhaps we could clarify our nomenclature for the posterity of this thread?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Perhaps we could clarify our nomenclature for the posterity of this thread?
Thank you.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold
This would have been valuable about 6 months ago prior to my OTW trip...
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Plat, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Mr. Bingham
This would have been valuable about 6 months ago prior to my OTW trip...
From what I have read, it doesn't seem like this was known to be offered 6 months ago....so don't feel too bad.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bobtray
From what I have read, it doesn't seem like this was known to be offered 6 months ago....so don't feel too bad.
Ah gotcha...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Also, I thought the cutoff date for determining challenge expiry date was June 16 not July 16. Am I wrong?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I continue to say that I think it is insane for AA to hand out EXP status to someone based on:

- one trip US-Asia in Discount J
- a spend of $2000

And to add insult to injury, the flying doesn't even have to be on AA metal...only issued on AA ticket stock.

That's neither a big investment of time or money for anyone who flies reasonably often. If AA really want to capture these high value fliers, why not at least require them to commit more than one rt Asia trip or two mileage runs.

I consider myself a middle of the road EXP with an annual spend of about $20k. How is it that "high value flyers" can earn EXP with a spend one tenth of my piker spend?

This new policy will have unintended consequences.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
- one trip US-Asia in Discount J
- a spend of $2000
Just so everyone is clear there is NO (as yet) US-Asia deal in Discount J for $2000. It would indeed be great if it were!

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Mar 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
If someone has more details on this amazing deal, PM me so I can add it to post#4. Thanks!
Maybe I should have added "or" between the two bullet points, but it doesn't change the facts. AUS-BKK can be had for about $6k in J and get someone to EXP in one trip. If you don't think that's an extremely cheap way to get EXP for getting to BKK in style, then I am not sure what to say. And again...there;s no requirement to fly AA metal...only that AA issue the ticket on their ticket stock. That means JL and CX are perfectly possible airlines to fly....
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:28 am

[redacted off topic comment]

Just to clarify one thing I was told, it has to be an AA flight, or an AA codeshare on CX or BA ONLY, no other codeshares count.

And, IMO, given that one must demonstrate they are actually a high volume flyer to even be eligible, I don't think you will see too many unintended consequences or real dilution. I think it will be a good thing for AA if it brings over just a few high revenue people from other airlines. I personally would have made EXP by the middle of the year anyway, so it's not a real game changer in my case, but it is nice.

Last edited by magic111; Mar 3, 2011 at 9:59 am Reason: off topic comment redacted
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:34 am

[redacted deleted quote and response]

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Just to clarify one thing I was told, it has to be an AA flight, or an AA codeshare on CX or BA ONLY, no other codeshares count.
How about JL and IB? Are those codeshares not included? Would seem crazy given they are ATI/JV partners (or in JLs case will soon be).

Last edited by magic111; Mar 3, 2011 at 10:00 am Reason: redacted deleted quote and response

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.