Phone fee when you can't book online?

Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by ron-val-ron
Nope, didn't lie. And yup, I did agree to pay it. (But what choice did I have really?
No one likes these fees but you did have choices. Another airline? A train, bus, car? Not taking the trip?

You wanted a particular service offered by AA. AA charges a price for that service. The fact that there is no other way to book without paying the fee is irrelevant to a credit card company. The solution is to take your business elsewhere (and if you want to change things - let aa know about it!)
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by gemac
There are ways that OP could have gotten ticketed without paying the fees. I understand that OP doesn't know how to do that. In many areas of life, ignorance is more expensive than knowledge. This is yet another.
Precisely. This culture of chargebacks seems to be rapidly getting out of control. I dine with a vendor a few weeks back at a very upscale steakhouse. We had evening flights out so we were dining very early. After we ate our (probably $300 or so) meal, he noticed the steakhouse offered a early bird $55 prefix menu with limited items. Even though we didn't order items eligible for this promotion, he felt cheated by virtue of not knowing the $55 option existed. His solution? Request an AMEX chargeback for all but $110 of the final bill.

Needless to say I decided not to do business with this individual. Not only did his character allow him to make this decision, but he went a step further a told me, the customer he had just treated to dinner.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Lifetime PL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by idainc
On an international itinerary the web site does not present the ticketing ability if an agent has touched it.
So since the OP was booking a domestic itinerary would he have been able to reserve it on the phone and then ticket it online?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Xero
There are other threads here which talk about things such as "it's just $40, let it go". This is why I feel that consumers should not let companies keep money that should be theirs, and if a company is holding money that is rightfully yours, you should try to get it back. They obviously show no flexibility for us, even if it's 'just $20'.
But, if you know about the fee and agree to it, why should you be able to tell your credit card company it isn't valid?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:54 am

Good points all, thanks.

The non-stop was not sold out; aa.com simply would not surface it.

Which banks are levying $10 fees for failed chargebacks/disputes?

Did not know that the DOT had come down on AA for other fees. And complaining seems like a worthwhile idea.

Again, thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Good points all, thanks.

Did not know that the DOT had come down on AA for other fees. And complaining seems like a worthwhile idea.

Again, thanks.
Just my opinion, but your bank should charge the $10 fee here. You're disputing a charge you already agreed to. Not much of a leg to stand on here in you position. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll side with you, but, in at least my view, that'd be the wrong position to take. You had other options besides paying the fee but you accepted the fee, paid it, and are now deciding that you don't like it. If they refund the fee then I think AA would be withing their rights to fully cancel the itinerary. How would you feel if that happened?

I'm just very against disputing CC charges that are implicity or explicitly agreed to by both parties. You agreed to the charge in making the booking. Why are you disputing it now? What is your reasoning for the dispute? They delivered what they promised (phone support for completing the reservation). What is lacking here?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OP is joking right? Agreed that AA should cancel itin if you pull this nonsense. If you do not want to pay, look for some other way to get there.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:52 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mikelat
What is lacking here?
Good sense.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by DillMan
This culture of chargebacks seems to be rapidly getting out of control.
Excellent point. I rarely use the chargeback mechanism unless the charge is really fraudulent or if I believe that I have not received what I paid for and all other resolution avenues have failed. I am a merchant as well as a consumer so I can appreciate both points of view, but a chargeback is clearly not warranted in this case.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
Excellent point. I rarely use the chargeback mechanism unless the charge is really fraudulent or if I believe that I have not received what I paid for and all other resolution avenues have failed. I am a merchant as well as a consumer so I can appreciate both points of view, but a chargeback is clearly not warranted in this case.
+100
This kind of abuse makes it more difficult for those who have actual, legitimate, realistic credit card disputes. disgusting.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Good points all, thanks.

Again, thanks.
If it is an itinerary you can't normally book with AA, that is one thing.

If there was something not visible due to an error, that is another story.
If that happened with me, I would NOT call reservations, I would call Web Services. I have found them to be very helpful, especially when I have accidently canceled reservations. Now, I no longer us the reservation listing to cancel, as after you select it, you don't know exactly what is being canceled. I recommend people cancel only when actually viewing the reservation, if they have more than one.

If you call resevations and agree to the fee, you have NO right to cancel it.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:56 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
If it is an itinerary you can't normally book with AA, that is one thing.

If there was something not visible due to an error, that is another story.
If that happened with me, I would NOT call reservations, I would call Web Services. I have found them to be very helpful, especially when I have accidently canceled reservations. Now, I no longer us the reservation listing to cancel, as after you select it, you don't know exactly what is being canceled. I recommend people cancel only when actually viewing the reservation, if they have more than one.

If you call resevations and agree to the fee, you have NO right to cancel it.
Regular readers of this forum on ft know the secrets of avoiding fees, but the "average" flyer might not. In other instances where aa charges fees where you have no other way of completing an itn except to use phone (or airport) agents, in those instances isn't aa being deceptive? [Redeeming certain vouchers is one of these--yes, you can mail the voucher to FL, and risk it being lost--when making these electronic would solve the fee problem.]
PS: Re OP, suppose the conversation went: "Since I have NO other choice but to pay the fee, I am doing so under protest", he might have a stronger case when requesting a chargeback from cc company?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nrr
PS: Re OP, suppose the conversation went: "Since I have NO other choice but to pay the fee, I am doing so under protest", he might have a stronger case when requesting a chargeback from cc company?
Not at all. What does protest have to do with this? You are paying for a service. If you don't want to pay for it, don't. If you agree to it, there is no grounds for dispute, despite all the protests in the world.

"Waiter, I want to order the carpaccio. However, I think that $17 is too high, so I'm paying that price under protest."

I don't think so.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:37 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Not at all. What does protest have to do with this? You are paying for a service. If you don't want to pay for it, don't. If you agree to it, there is no grounds for dispute, despite all the protests in the world.

"Waiter, I want to order the carpaccio. However, I think that $17 is too high, so I'm paying that price under protest."

I don't think so.

Cheers.
While I didn't say that OP was justified in expecting a chargeback, the "protest" word might have more standing. The example with the waiter and the carpaccio is not good, since it is a consumable commodity once consumed it can't be undone--the fee can be reversed.
PS: Once I was working without a contract (for several years), the union advised us o sign every payroll check and add the words "under protest".
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:47 pm

To the OP.
Now you know how we feel here in Australia when QF screws us for bookings that can't be made online and we get slugged fees (or points), usually award flights or vouchers that can't be redeemed online.

To make matters worse, QF has known about these issues for years and still doesn't give a rats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.