Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 29, 11, 1:27 pm   #1

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Ridiculous Baggage Tag Question (how to attach to bag)

When I passed the 1mm mark on American they sent me 2 luggage tags. I also have my Admiral's club luggage tags.

The tags come with a piece of plastic, and for the life of me I cannot figure how to securely fasten these tags to my bags. I tried the simple method of putting one end through the handle, putting the other end of the plastic through the first end and pulling snugly. However, this lasted for a few flights but then came loose.

Thanks for entertaining my absurdity.
jefftf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 11, 1:34 pm   #2
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
OK, I was looking for a picture and didn't find what I wanted, so here goes:

Put the strap through the tag. Open the end of the strap and feed the other end through the opening in thne strap. This should now firmly attach the strap to the tag.

Put the loose end through the luggage handle. Open that loose end. Feed the end with the attached tag through the open loop and pull tight (basically the same thing you did on the other end, just that you now have the tag attached.)

I hope that came across the way I intended it

Cheers.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 11, 1:35 pm   #3

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
First attach the strap to the tag. Do this by putting the strap through the slot, then taking one end of the strap and passing it through/between the other side of the strap. Pull and it will snug up to the tag.

Now, repeat on your tag handle, this time instead of having two ends of a strap though, one end is a strap and one end has the tag, you pass the tag through the other end of the strap. You will have to apply some force to stretch the strap enough to get the tag through. It won't ever wiggle itself free.

I tried to find some pictures online but couldn't. It's the same as attaching a camera strap though, just you end up doing it twice.
Azulcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 11, 1:37 pm   #4

Programs: AA-EXP-CK 2.5mm, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
OK, I was looking for a picture and didn't find what I wanted, so here goes:

Put the strap through the tag. Open the end of the strap and feed the other end through the opening in thne strap. This should now firmly attach the strap to the tag.

Put the loose end through the luggage handle. Open that loose end. Feed the end with the attached tag through the open loop and pull tight (basically the same thing you did on the other end, just that you now have the tag attached.)

I hope that came across the way I intended it

Cheers.
Well done, BRP... though when I read the "put the loose end through..." I began thinking of the FA safety demo... "Attach the loose end of the belt..."
goldengate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 11, 1:45 pm   #5

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Thanks BRP. I was missing the first part of securing the tag first. Every once in a while I start to think I'm fairly bright, and then I can't figure out a luggage tag, or I'll lock myself out of the house.

It's great practice in humility.
jefftf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 11, 2:04 pm   #6

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
If you want sturdiness, a zip tie from any Home Depot pretty much does the trick. I still have my PLT luggage tags from five years ago attached to my travel bag which has taken serious beatings across the world, yet the luggage tag is still intact
Old Jan 29, 11, 2:11 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftf1 View Post
Thanks BRP. I was missing the first part of securing the tag first. Every once in a while I start to think I'm fairly bright, and then I can't figure out a luggage tag, or I'll lock myself out of the house.

It's great practice in humility.
Don't feel bad, you aren't the only one. Check Dumbest EXP luggage tag question!from a year ago, when somebody else asked the exact same question, and got the exact same answer. I found that by searching for "luggage tags" in titles only. This thread is first, and that one is third, had you searched before starting the thread that one would have been second.
gemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 11, 2:14 pm   #8

Programs: AA EXP - 2.7MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Intercontinental Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
If you want sturdiness, a zip tie from any Home Depot pretty much does the trick. I still have my PLT luggage tags from five years ago attached to my travel bag which has taken serious beatings across the world, yet the luggage tag is still intact
A little OT, but... sadly, just lost my Admirals Club tag from about 5 years ago on a gate checked (Eagle) MSN-ORD leg. "Strap" still intact - just the tag gone. Considering what I witnessed the ORD ground crew do to bags (many times), I'm amazed it lasted that long!
Madison Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 11, 2:41 pm   #9

Programs: AA-EXP (1.6MM), HP-Gold, UA-2P, AS-MVP, BA-Slvr, VS-Slvr, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold, IC-Plat, BW-Platinum
Here are the instructions I pasted in the other thread.

How to install Luggage Tags with Clear Plastic Loops
Old Jan 29, 11, 4:59 pm   #10

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
LOL> I just did this 5 minutes ago in my kitchen and now see this thread. I posit it is not an intuitive process.
phil_flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 11, 3:26 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Gold, DL/UA/CO/AS Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post
A little OT, but... sadly, just lost my Admirals Club tag from about 5 years ago on a gate checked (Eagle) MSN-ORD leg. "Strap" still intact - just the tag gone. Considering what I witnessed the ORD ground crew do to bags (many times), I'm amazed it lasted that long!
Maybe that is why EXPs get new tags every year..
mvoight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 11, 6:01 pm   #12

Programs: AA EXP - 2.7MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Intercontinental Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Maybe that is why EXPs get new tags every year..
You mean I should actually USE 1 from the large stack I have??
Madison Guy is offline   Reply With Quote