Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
This may be news to some of you.

I hope all of you who sign up for this also read the other thread of the 5K AA miles bonus on opening saving account - that the bonus from banking account is treated as Interest or Misc Income.

1099s have been sent out for those who have received the bonuses from banking products, and the miles are valued at a Retail price of 0.025 per mile...
Some people got them from savings accounts. Nobody has stated they received them from checking account bonuses. I really don't see any need to alarm everyone. What banking products are you refering to Happy? I've only read of savings accounts receiving 1099s.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swat16
Some people got them from savings accounts. Nobody has stated they received them from checking account bonuses. I really don't see any need to alarm everyone. What banking products are you refering to Happy? I've only read of savings accounts receiving 1099s.
Actually there are theories going on in that thread about why some receive 1099 Misc and some receive 1099 Int - that the checking account bonus triggered 1099 Misc but the saving account bonus triggered 1099 Int.

A few posters said their 1099 $ were more than the bonus miles they got from their Ultimate Saving Accounts, but they said they also had bonuses from other Citi bank accounts, including the checking.

Personally I do not bother with Citi banking account bonus because it is often a hassle to have them posted, and then the 1099 to deal with. Although honestly I was under the impression that only ThankYou Points would generate the 1099s as TYP has a well-defined value of 0.01 per point, while AA mile has no defined value... It looks like that the bank CAN use Fair Market Value, and it seems like it is using the price AA uses to sell the miles.

Just sayng, that it may generate a 1099 and then at 0.025 per mile cost, so you would have an idea how much $ in taxes MIGHT be to acquire those miles.

Say, 5K at 0.025 = $125, at a 25% bracket that is $31.25 tax - to acquire 5K miles and it is not without work... Whether it is worth it, of course is a YMMV thing as always.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHTFP
$50 for free - Referral Bonus

Hi,

I recently opened up a new "Citibank account" for the 25k AA miles.

A few days after getting my debit card, I received a bunch of referral papers that allow both me and the person that gets referred to earn $50 when opening up a checking account with the referral.

1) Has anyone else gotten this?

2) If you want a referral, send me a PM

If anyone is interested I am happy to mail one of these referrals to you, just PM me. The T&C state that you must go to a branch with one of the referral papers in hand, and that it is not combinable with any other offer. This likely means that you won't be able to get the miles and the $50 at the same time, but it might be worth a try. Has anyone attempted to get both the miles and the $50 referral bonus?

Full terms and conditions:

Here's how friends or family get $50:
  • Open a Citibank Account by visiting a Citibank branch
  • Fund the new Citibank Account with $1,000 and initiate 1 direct deposit or make 2 online electronic bill payments or 5 or more debit card purchases per month for 2 consecutive months.
  • Offer expires 04/21/11

New Checking Customer: To receive this offer, you must open a new to Citibank checking account in the Citibank Account. Or you can earn $25 for a new Citibank Basic Checking Account or $100 for a new Citigold Account relationship package. Within 60 days of account opening you must (1) fund the account with $1,000 or more (or $100 for a Citibank Basic Checking Account) and (2) complete one direct deposit, or two electronic bill payments or five or more debit card purchases for 2 consecutive months. Qualifying bill payments are those using Citibank(R) Online, Citi Mobile(R) or CitiPhone Banking(R). Alternatively, to receive this offer for Citigold, you can elect to bring your Citigold Account's combined monthly average balances - including eligible deposits, loans, securities, and retirement products up to at least $100,000 (or $250,000 - if you elect to include the outstanding amount of your Citibank first mortgage) within 2 months of opening an account. Regular account charges apply. Limit one offer per Citibank customer. Offer not available on account conversions and cannot be combined with other offers. Cash bonus will be credited to your account within 90 days of your satisfying the terms of this offer. All referees must open a new eligible checking account by the expiration date of the coupon. Existing consumer checking customers are not eligible to receive the offer. Your account must be open and in good standing when cash bonus is to be credited.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:16 pm

Does this work?

I just read all 7 pages of this and I've seen a lot of conflicting information. I do have a Citi AAdvantage Personal Credit Card from the 75k AAdvantage offer.

Will this offer give me the miles or will it not? Should I open online or on the phone?

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
There is always conflicting info around any Citibank offer. You have to decide for yourself.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold ,BA, SPG
When I applied by phone it took FOREVER (45 minutes or so). Mostly because the CSR had to keep repeating after me what I'd just said, and half the time she'd got it wrong. So, we'd have to start all over again with the number or info I'd given her.

After I hung up, I thought, "this would have taken half the time if I'd done it online." Don't know for sure if that's true, but given the chance to do it over again, I'd apply online. Good luck, and I hope it goes faster than my experience applying by phone!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Ceiba
When I applied by phone it took FOREVER (45 minutes or so). Mostly because the CSR had to keep repeating after me what I'd just said, and half the time she'd got it wrong. So, we'd have to start all over again with the number or info I'd given her.

After I hung up, I thought, "this would have taken half the time if I'd done it online." Don't know for sure if that's true, but given the chance to do it over again, I'd apply online. Good luck, and I hope it goes faster than my experience applying by phone!
YES!! definitely do everything you can ONLINE. and avoid speaking to a CSR! All of them are from foreign countries and cannot understand you, nor can you understand them. I had to repeat the state I was from 3 times because I dont think the CSR guy knew that Colorado was a state! Seriously??!!

The customer service is awful at Citi! Chase is so much better. As soon as my miles post I'm closing this Citi acct. for sure!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:55 am

Oh, and BTW, if you do a TRANSFER from another bank into Citibank, don't plan on seeing your money for at least a week. It has been taken out of my other bank since Monday (ie not accessible at all), but Citi says it still won't be available to use in my Citi account until at least Friday.
Good thing I dont need it to pay bills this week...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:52 pm

i just received the debit card and confirmed that the promotion is valid for my acc (didn't receive any emails from citi regarding this). i am pretty sure i did an institutional transfer from bofa but they told me "it failed". guess i will go to a branch to try again.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Citi and Chase use foreign call centers in the Philippines.

DOubt the bank matters just the customer service rep.

Originally Posted by mymyles
YES!! definitely do everything you can ONLINE. and avoid speaking to a CSR! All of them are from foreign countries and cannot understand you, nor can you understand them. I had to repeat the state I was from 3 times because I dont think the CSR guy knew that Colorado was a state! Seriously??!!

The customer service is awful at Citi! Chase is so much better. As soon as my miles post I'm closing this Citi acct. for sure!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by mymyles
Interestingly enough, the CSR I spoke with was a lady named Judy, with a distinctive Southern accent, who said she was in Kentucky! So, I guess my call wasn't transferred overseas. On the other hand, she said I'd receive a "Welcome Package" from Citi within 5-7 days, and after 8 days I'm still waiting...

Not exactly sure what that means. Maybe nothing other than a slower-than-promised delivery of the "package". However, without the package there's no deal. It has to be signed (a signature card) and either mailed or faxed back to Citi.

Here's hoping the thing actually goes through and I get the 25K miles!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:35 pm

Also waiting

I'm also still waiting (but I don't believe it's been quite 7 days).

I originally tried to fund the account with a bank transfer via the online application. A CSR called to inform me that the transfer had failed. I asked if we could do a debit card deposit instead, and she said that would work. She took the needed info and we disconnected. Now, a few days later, I called in to see why the money hadn't yet appeared and another CSR let me know that the debit card transfer had failed as well.

At this point, I'm just going to wait for my account number and initiate a direct deposit from my end. We'll see how it goes.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Has anyone does this offer without the AAvantage CC?

I dont have one but would like to grab a quick 25K
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
I went through the online application, but it never asked for the AAdvantage number. How will they know what the account is to deposit the miles?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by stallion114
Has anyone does this offer without the AAvantage CC?

I dont have one but would like to grab a quick 25K
When I applied by phone, the CSR said the promotion required that the applicant have both a Citi Aadvantage CC and an active Aadvantage account. But, it's worth a shot. You could call and ask (1-800-374-9500). If they say Yes, hang up and apply online. It'll take you a lot less time. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.