Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
One blogger suggested opening the account in a branch. I confess, I have not read the entire 65 pages of this thread, but his suggestion resonates with my "distrust big banks" sensibilities. I wonder, though, is this really necessary? Can't one keep a copy of the landing page as proof?
Although Citi deposited 100k into my AA account this morning, I still don't trust them since I've never received the 100k from the first CC I opened back in 2008 or 2009. Document everything. Citi ain't the brightest bank around..
Old May 19, 2014, 7:10 am

Data point:
opened on 2/25
requirements met on 3/3
miles posted 5/16
No fees yet. Will downgrade to no fee account.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
50K for Citi Gold Checking?

Some folks have mentioned on other threads in the past 2 days that they're getting offers of 50K for Citi Gold.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...lidated-9.html

Can someone pls confirm? Since I see the regular 30K offer here.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:16 am

Here is a code for 50000 AA miles for Citigold after $1000 spend.

1DBXBGF11F

expires 6/30
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ttonev
Here is a code for 50000 AA miles for Citigold after $1000 spend.

1DBXBGF11F

expires 6/30
Any more details on thsi offer - like minimum account opening time etc?

Edit: Nevermind it shows under Promotion Disclosures at offer.citibank.com:

$1k of debit purchases (gosh that's going to be hard work at WM lol) AND 1 or more bill pay for two consecutive months

"This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who receive this communication. One offer per customer and account only.Regular account charges apply. All accounts subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Existing checking customers are not eligible for this offer. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, expires 06/30/14, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. Persons under 18 years of age are not eligible. Limit of one offer per customer and account. If you have received a bonus reward for opening a new Citibank consumer checking account within the past two years, you will not be eligible to receive a bonus associated with this offer. "

Not sure how well these T&Cs will be enforced - going to give it a try and find out...

Last edited by ma91pmh; Jun 29, 2014 at 8:12 am
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:55 pm

Can anyone confirm if, IN RECENT TIME (ie 2014), Chase CC (specifically CSP) funding of account posted as CA or purchase.

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:08 am

any new codes?

I meant to sign up last month but never got around to it. Are there any new codes floating around that haven't expired yet?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I signed go but I do not have any code? Is there any code that I can apply now? The branch said I can downgrade in a month and that just passed.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: Arrival Points, M-Life, Hyatt, ULTIMATE REWARDS, AA, UAL, SOUTHWEST
I would also appreciate a code for 50k miles

Originally Posted by sfera
I meant to sign up last month but never got around to it. Are there any new codes floating around that haven't expired yet?
I just got an offer for only 30k and would rather wait for a 50k miles offer.
30k offer code = DR5MG904XE
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:33 am

So I'm a LONG-time lurker/reader/learner/traveler (could have sworn I made an account years ago) who mostly traveled on the cheap because of combing the Internet for price mistakes and promotions that only last a few hours. Until now, I had not played the miles game. My fiancee and I have traveled to more than 40 countries together and most of the US. Next year, we're getting married and planning to take 2-3 months off to travel for our honeymoon (very flexible jobs). I recently got the Citi AA card (50k sign-up bonus) and the Barclay's US Airways (in the hopes that the 40k bonus turns into AA miles early next year). I also got the Amex SPG because of the ability to convert those points to miles if necessary (another 25k bonus...with the minimum spend, it turns into about 35k miles if I converted it all). I'd certainly like more miles if I can get them :-).

In that regard, I stumbled on the BankDirect account that looks like it could net 22k....but it might be difficult because of a super non-traditional employment situation. DD might be awkward and I read that they are sticklers. And then I stumbled on this thread. How often does Citi do this promo? I'd obviously rather wait for 50k if I can get them...but could I even still get the 30k now? I've only had the CC for about 2 weeks. Should I wait it out for an offer? We're looking to travel next July/August/September, so I have some time to play with -- but I'd want an offer like this by like January at the latest so I have enough time to collect the points and put them to use. I've read a lot of (but not all of) this thread and other sites, so I understand the fees associated with the Gold acct if you're under 50k and I can live with those long enough to get the bonus and close. Really just wondering how often this comes around?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA/AA
The T&C for the targeted Citi gold checking account state that you are not eligible if you have had such account within the last two years. I have not seen an offer for 50k ,except for their credit card. Have a nice HoneyHoliday!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
Datapoint:

Applied: 5/13/2014
Satisfied Requirements: 6/2/2014
Points Posted: 8/28/2014

It wasn't quite that easy though. I called up to verify the promotional code was associated with my account after signing up. I called up again to verify I had satisfied the requirements. All good.

Fast forward to this week and I get a $300 bonus instead of the 30K AA posting. They had me under the wrong promotion. That took several days to rectify, but the miles have now deposited.

What a painful bank to work with. The sheer number of secure messages, chats, and time spent on the phone to verify and correct this promotion was absurd. They are the Comcast of the banking institutions apparently.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by CRUISINGFLYING4LIFE
I just got an offer for only 30k and would rather wait for a 50k miles offer.
30k offer code = DR5MG904XE

Does it say when this code expires? Thanks for posting it!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
offer expires on 9/30/14
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Does anyone know if 30,000 AA miles incur a 1099K form?

I've been checking online (and this thread) for the past 2 weeks, and I'm seeing mixed answers everywhere =/

*Edit* nevermind, seems like the case is from 2009 when Citi was still issuing 1099K for checking account bonuses.

Links:

Doctorofcredit:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/target...irect-deposit/

Viewfromthewing:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....cking-account/

Datapoint of ThankPoints (not AA miles) counting as income:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....tions-taxable/

Last edited by jazzmailman; Sep 17, 2014 at 8:30 pm Reason: added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.