Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:14 am

FWIW, my story about Citi is completely different from others posting here. I posted this in the 40K AAdvantage checking thread.

I wrote:
"I previously posted that I was giving up on this checking account and the prospect of getting 20,000 miles because of all the talk about Citi not paying up and this was a targeted offer for which I was never targeted. I originally opened the account in Oct - I think. I funded it with two direct deposits, and made one purchase with the debit card (basic card too - not an AA debit card) before calling Citi and canceling the account in the beginning of Dec. I logged in today and noticed a 20,000 mile deposit from Citi as of 12/30! It came in after Saturday because I last checked my account on Sat and the miles weren't there."

To sum it up I bought in to everyone saying Citi would never give the miles because I wasn't targeted and Citi in general just doesn't give out miles unless you fight hard enough. I never even completed the requirements for the bonus miles and closed my account and I STILL got the 20K miles for the offer. So now I'm opening an account for my wife under this 25K offer! I do tend to have insanely good luck with things like this but I'll roll the dice again. I'm thinking of opening a new account for myself and see if I can get another 25K miles.

Does anyone think Citi will figure this out and take back the 20K miles?

Update:
After looking into it more, Citibank never closed my account after all. I did get miles when I wasn't targeted. It took exactly 60 days from the day I opened it for the bonus miles.

Last edited by Milezjunkie; Jan 13, 2011 at 6:55 pm
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:30 pm

I just opened an account on the phone...and the agent informed me that if you were to open a gold account, and apply for the Citibank /AA Advantage Premium debit card, there is a one time 4,000 AAdvantage bonus miles. So this deal technically gives 30,000 miles (for opening gold account) + 4,000 miles (for enrolling in AAdvantage debit card) for a total of 34,000 miles. Aint bad!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by cuetan
I just opened an account on the phone...and the agent informed me that if you were to open a gold account, and apply for the Citibank /AA Advantage Premium debit card, there is a one time 4,000 AAdvantage bonus miles. So this deal technically gives 30,000 miles (for opening gold account) + 4,000 miles (for enrolling in AAdvantage debit card) for a total of 34,000 miles. Aint bad!
You can get the AA debit card with the regular account as well, it's 2000 miles.

The catch is for the basic it's a $25 annual fee, $65 for the premium

--wes
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by wesmanz
You can get the AA debit card with the regular account as well, it's 2000 miles.

The catch is for the basic it's a $25 annual fee, $65 for the premium

--wes
Try getting the $65 premium for the Premium Debit Card waived for the first year. I've had this done with several family members (all CitiGold). Then downgrade the card before the next year's premium is due. Been 3 outta 3 with that.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
Try getting the $65 premium for the Premium Debit Card waived for the first year. I've had this done with several family members (all CitiGold). Then downgrade the card before the next year's premium is due. Been 3 outta 3 with that.
That's what I would do as well, but I opted not to get one at all. I run all my debit/credit card spend through my AA Citi card so I won't need the debit card for anything really. This is like a slush fund account, just to get the bonus miles.

--wes
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by wesmanz
That's what I would do as well, but I opted not to get one at all. I run all my debit/credit card spend through my AA Citi card so I won't need the debit card for anything really. This is like a slush fund account, just to get the bonus miles.

--wes
You dont even have to try to waive the annual fee...The $65 annual fee is waived for Citigold customers.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by cuetan
You dont even have to try to waive the annual fee...The $65 annual fee is waived for Citigold customers.
Ah, I see - and thanks for the info. When I set the accounts up (a couple of years ago), I was told the fee was only waived for the first year. Is it waived every year?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone tried applying w/o having a Citi AAdvantage card? I have a CitiBusiness Visa, but no personal card right now (canceled a while ago and haven't been able to get approved for one since I'm "blacklisted" right now).

If a CitiBusiness card works, I will try to open the checking account... but if not, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Thx
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I just signed up for "The Citibank Account", and during the application, I did not see any place to enter my AA number.. Should it have been online?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I just signed up for "The Citibank Account", and during the application, I did not see any place to enter my AA number.. Should it have been online?
No, they get your number from your AA credit card since you have to have one to be targeted for this offer.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by swat16
No, they get your number from your AA credit card since you have to have one to be targeted for this offer.
So the people that responsed that they got the miles without a citi card were wrong?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:48 am

So the people that responsed that they got the miles without a citi card were wrong?
Citi would assign a AA#'s if none is tagged with the account. Or you can call in and have your existing AA# attached to this promo.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:00 pm

You would have to ask those people. When I called and sent a secure message to CS they refused to take my AA number and told me they would match it with my Citi AA credit card. They did end up doing that and I got the miles without any issues.

Does anyone know if the checking account offers are churnable each year like Chase offers were?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:09 pm

Smile Hard pull on credit? Bonus eligibility after account "downgrades"?

Sorry, newbie here. I've read up to Page 5 of this thread and noticed that someone asked if Citi does a hard pull on one's credit report to open a checking account or the Citigold account. However, no responses yet. Have I missed it? Will it be a hard pull?

Also, what's the possibility of promo mile forfeiture if one "downgrades" Citigold account into an account with lessor requirements or from a larger-AF debit card (4K bonus miles) to a lower-AF debit card (2K bonus miles)? TIA!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: US PP, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Dia, ICH Plat
funding

can these still be funded w/ a visa/mc from another bank?

TIA

Foy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.