Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by cotter77
not worth the hassle. The 6k balance makes it not worth it. Carrying CC balance outside of emergency is completely ignorant. And 6-50k sitting in a savings or chacking account is a waste too. The chase checking for CO was easier and even THAT ONE was a complete Pain in the A**. I think i will stick to ordering coins. in 5 months time (150 days one with standard US mint account can get 15,000 miles or SPG points and at 1.25 conversion = 18,750 miles)...and with a little creativity can do even better. I going to apply for 3rd AA card, the AMEX and try to get that one for 75k more sign up bonus instead of dealing with checking accts.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you that the balance (+ CSR hassle + timeframe) doesn't make it worth it.

But I'm confused on the coins comment ...

Spanning 5 months + putting in multiple orders + conversion of gift cards to coins + time & fuel for multiple trips to the bank, errr, wherever it is spent ... that's worth 18,750 miles to you?

... Maybe I'm just too lazy these days, or I am missing something very fundamental about the coins operation.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
For those who received this offer directly - did it come via e-mail? I would fee more confident in the ensuing haggling with Citi if I had something tangible to prove the offer.

Mrs User Name and I have both had Citi AA cards since October but neither of us have received promotional e-mails - I'm wondering whether we opted out while signing up.

I see the hassle some have had in the past. In my mind the simplest way of executing this would be to deposit $6k in the checking account and then just make sure I use the account to pay my CC bills for a couple of months, topping up as necessary (therefore no buggering about with debit cards). I know I may end up trading secure messages with Citi for a while but surely the miles will come?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by k02sc02
i signed up for this at end of october shortly after getting a 75k personal aa citi amex and 100k citi biz visa. it took citi 3 weeks to get me the debit card...
i need to do 5 debit trnx this month to fulfill the terms (no debit purchases in november) (2nd month in a row of 5 non pin debit purch a month), then i get to keep 6k rolling in and out of citi in deposit or balance on the personal amex linked to this checking for 90 more days (this takes me to end of April) untill the miles post. if they aren't in there by the end of April, the battle with Citi for the miles will begin.
this has been a PITA so far, but if i get the 25k miles, i will call it worth it.
balance on the citi biz cards does not count towards th 6k required to waive monthly fee on checking.
oh citi... how well you rhyme with something i dont want under my shoe.
Interesting, so it's only the personal cards?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Interesting, so it's only the personal cards?
Yes.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL FO
I think I am going to call tomorrow and apply for this account. Is Citi really that bad about paying miles?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Comment and Question

First a comment: Last summer, I opened up "The Citibank Account" and an "Ultimate Savings account" for a combined 25k. The first 10k on the Citibank Account and 5k on the USA came in right on time with no hassle. Still waiting on the 2nd 10k but I won't be eligible for that for some time. In my case, things are working perfectly.

Second: Since I'm already maintaining over $6k at Citi in my name in a USA, it'd be nice to just add my wife as a joint on that account and then have her get The Citibank Account for 25k. Then I wouldn't really be tying up more cash and the other requirements are easy to satisfy. Anyone done this?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by msp2msy
First a comment: Last summer, I opened up "The Citibank Account" and an "Ultimate Savings account" for a combined 25k. The first 10k on the Citibank Account and 5k on the USA came in right on time with no hassle. Still waiting on the 2nd 10k but I won't be eligible for that for some time. In my case, things are working perfectly.

Second: Since I'm already maintaining over $6k at Citi in my name in a USA, it'd be nice to just add my wife as a joint on that account and then have her get The Citibank Account for 25k. Then I wouldn't really be tying up more cash and the other requirements are easy to satisfy. Anyone done this?
Yes, I linked my wife's and my son's account so we each would not need to maintain a $6K balance.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
Yes, I linked my wife's and my son's account so we each would not need to maintain a $6K balance.
Beautiful. That makes this so easy. And a perfect replacement for her Chase CO account. I think her and my accounts will both complete their account opening bonus about the same time so it'll be easy to shut them down.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:30 pm

customer service rep said that one can keep the gold for 2 months then downgrade to regular checking after the fees start.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by lisajuly
customer service rep said that one can keep the gold for 2 months then downgrade to regular checking after the fees start.
but are you still good to get the miles?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:16 pm

I opened an account last week and have already gotten my ATM/debit card. However, I am still awaiting the initial deposit to go through to fund the account. It was made on the 6th, my other bank shows it posting on the 10th and Citi still shows nothing.

Is it always this slow to move money into these accounts ? I move money often, especially when making market moves, so 2-3 days is out of the question for me.

I would just like to get a feel for how long transfers usually take into/out of these accounts. I may be best served leaving most of my cash in my primary accounts that are more easily accessible.

Also, does anyone else have to provide their ATM card # and PIN or last 4 of the SS# each time you log in ? I am on Firefox on a MAC and it makes me do this every time.......very very annoying.

--wes
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:32 pm

I tried to open a citibank account through last year's promo, and ended up not going through with the funding. I wonder if I can use the same account information for this specific promotion.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Necessity to keep Citicard accounts open to obtain bonus.

Help me here.

Currently, I have both a single Citicard Business Aadvantage card and a single Citicard Personal Aadvantage card. Last week, I opened a The Citibank account to get 25,000 AA miles. I understand that in order to qualify I needed a Citicard Personal Aadvantage card. Now, both my Citicards have the second year annual fee due. Normally, I close the accounts to avoid the fee.

If I close the Citicard accounts, will I become ineligible for the Citibank 25,000 bonus?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by whynotgo
Help me here.

Currently, I have both a single Citicard Business Aadvantage card and a single Citicard Personal Aadvantage card. Last week, I opened a The Citibank account to get 25,000 AA miles. I understand that in order to qualify I needed a Citicard Personal Aadvantage card. Now, both my Citicards have the second year annual fee due. Normally, I close the accounts to avoid the fee.

If I close the Citicard accounts, will I become ineligible for the Citibank 25,000 bonus?
The requirement to have a Citi credit card is new. Previous offers that were similar did not require this. So, I doubt anyone here knows for sure. You will probably need to read the terms and conditions carefully and then contact Citi for an answer.
But please understand that Citi is notorious for being inconsistent. One CSR may tell you one thing, another may tell you something quite different. If you get an answer that you like, get it in writing (if you can).
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: aa
On the citigold account webpage, I see that the fees are waived for the first two months. Does anyone see something similar for the citibank account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.