Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RBC Avion points and conversion to AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT

It is official: RBC announced that as of July 12, 2010 all RBC Avion credit card holders can transfer their RBC reward points to AA advantage miles on one to one basis with a minimum of 5k points per conversion.

AA has joined BA and CX in that program, who have been partners in that program for some long time.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
AA used to be a partner in the program and then dropped out a number of years ago. If my records are correct, it was Oct. 2006.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad they're back.

I wonder if this has any implications on the TD AAdv Visa.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: Used to be AA Platinum during/after DONE5 in '05/'06, now, just longing for the good ol' days!
This is amazing news. Thanks for the post. ^ ^
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 pm

Wow, that's a bit surprising, but great news. It certainly makes the Avion card a bit more flexible, but one would receive a better rate of conversion by using the Amex SPG card and converting 20,000 Starpoints to 25,000 AA miles.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
More discussion (in particular about comparisons to other credit cards in Canada) here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-aerogold.html
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FewMiles
I wonder if this has any implications on the TD AAdv Visa.
I think many AA loyalists will shift to RBC as it offers better rewarding program and also higher spending limit.

In addition, you can still transfer the points to other OW members like BA and CX so the choices of conversion are greater and not limited like TD AA visa card ^
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by LH/LX
I think many AA loyalists will shift to RBC as it offers better rewarding program and also higher spending limit.

In addition, you can still transfer the points to other OW members like BA and CX so the choices of conversion are greater and not limited like TD AA visa card ^
i hope RBC comes back with the AAdvantage card....that way my spouse can get another sign up bonus...funny, but we signed up for this card close to 8 years ago because i was BA and spouse was AA and we could convert to either program....this will probably cause her to shift all purchases away from the TD AA card she has back to our avion....
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
i hope RBC comes back with the AAdvantage card..
I think there is a great possibility that RBC doing that in the short run and adding AA to their reward program is a sign for what is coming in the near future.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just got some materials in the mail - one of the things mentioned is Avion -> AA is running a 1.25x promo from 15/Oct to 30/Nov.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 6:52 pm

And just checked ba.com/avion50, that BA 1.5x promo is on as well, 26/Oct to 31/Dec.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Just got some materials in the mail - one of the things mentioned is Avion -> AA is running a 1.25x promo from 15/Oct to 30/Nov.
hehe, you beat me. Just transferred some miles to AA to take advantage of some deals to central america!
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:58 pm

Just realized that AC/CO -> Esso -> Avion -> AA 1.25x comes in at around 1:0.83, in case anyone is interested.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Just a heads up, my transfer done last Friday has been posted on AA.com. But only 1:1.
Phoned RBC Visa and they agent told me AA should add the bonus, normally within a week. Let's hope so - BA has always deposited the miles with bonus as a single entry.

update: bonus miles did show up a few hours later as a separate entry.I guess I was too eager to burn the miles

Last edited by ericw; Oct 19, 2010 at 2:46 am
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Just realized that AC/CO -> Esso -> Avion -> AA 1.25x comes in at around 1:0.83, in case anyone is interested.
How long would this total process take should I start off with points in AC going through all the transfers?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dominick
How long would this total process take should I start off with points in AC going through all the transfers?
probably a week or max 10 days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.