Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Thread founder Blumie had the following dedicatory post to kick off the original thread in June of 2010 to guide us, so we will take our cues from that to continue this hallowed FT-AA|A tradition. (FT Rules still apply.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
What's FT if not a place to complain about the small stuff? After all, we've seen threads in which people have complained about virtually everything, from the ceiling height at JAX to the font, ink and paper used to print boarding passes. So I thought I'd start what I hope will become the one of the most valuable and important threads in the history of FT, one in which we consolidate all of our complaints about stuff that just doesn't matter and that validates AA's decision not to have an official presence on this board.

I'll go first: I find it really annoying the way the napkins are fanned before being put out at the Admirals Clubs. Is this supposed to make us feel like the place is uber-fancy? Why don't they just forget about the fanning and put out some real napkins instead of the flimsy cocktail napkins they use?
Older posts have been archived, and may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
So I’m sitting in 1B on a MSY-DFW flight. The guy in 1A seemed like a nice guy. He offered to put my jacket in the overhead for me, and then offered to lend me his iPhone plug when I discovered that there’s no USB port. But just now I’ve noticed that his book, which he has placed on the center console, is crossing the center line and invading my center console space. And the FA, while dutifully serving pre-departure drinks, is doing nothing about it. I don’t know why I fly this airline anymore.
Better a book than a big sweaty ham hock leg rubbing against yours from the huge person in the center seat, who is thoroughly unaware of the invisible vertical plane of demarcation that exists between where one seat ends, and the other begins....

I would rather have the book

Last edited by WannaTheater; Mar 13, 2024 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by pinniped
Little known bit of law, negotiated as part of international aviation treaties: the book is now legally yours.

Pick it up and begin reading it.
Off topic, but that reminds me of another lesser known law, the Mexican Condiment Disclosure Act of 2007, which requires Chipotle employees to advise you that the guac is $2 extra:

Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:30 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
I often dont know if the FA is going to place the drink on the napkin or is going to expect me to take it directly from them. I might need to start a new thread on this topic.
Blumie, same! Same thing at restaurants....sometimes the server doesn't want you to grab hold as they're balancing everything, other times they truly want you to take it as they're balancing everything! LOL.

As a pax, I sometimes will reach for the beverage as well, knowing that if I raise my hand, it could off balance the beverage and spill on someone. On the other hand, when I'm at the window, and I see them standing there with the beverage and not bending down or reaching...then I'll go in for the grab.

Always a tough decision...whether it's a glass, or tray. (Just don't reach out for the plates as they're often hot and you could burn yourself)

wow, such an off-topic that's so spot on! lol
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
wow, such an off-topic that's so spot on! lol
And yet the mods, in their infinite wisdom, decided this discussion is non-substantive!
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:59 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by stant
do you think a hoodlum is going to learn a less from that? 'offer' to open the window and toss it out of the plane.
I've found that if you pick up the item and lick it then place it back, the other person is so confused on a variety of levels that they almost immediately comply.
stant likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:36 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
The thing that 'grinds my gears' is when I do PDBs, or for that matter, initial beverage service, when I'm trying to place items on the console, like placing the napkin for the glass, pax expect me to just move their books, phones, wires, tablets, etc...however, after finally placing the napkin, the pax just move the napkin before I can finish placing the glass...especially when they've seen me come through and open up the little tray under the console, and as I place the napkins for the glasses on the center console, and before I can place any item, someone will move the napkins and place them in different spots, now making me try to refigure where I'm going to place everything.

I always put the glasses on the console, and the nuts on the pull out center tray. If you want to move everything for YOU, then just wait until I'm done placing everything.

LOL, you can put this into the least substantive pet- peeve thread if you'd like too!
You lovely man! I solved that years ago - you take the drinks out on a tray and hand them the tray to take, or Just hand them the drink if there are other people's drinks there. Let them sort their stupid drinks space out. I had other passengers with better manners than that to serve. I would serve PDBs (only ours were only Long Haul - short haul we were not allowed because of Customs regulations) only if there was a delay and the doors were shut as we were not allowed but I did so anyway because these were our guests.

My greatest trivial complaint is the Flight Attendant on LHR-LAX who constantly drenched herself in Opium by Yves St Laurent. Actually I suspect that she marinaded in it overnight. I am not complaining that she perfumed herself but had it been Rive Gauche I could have gone on breathing. I suspect that we were safe from any airbourne virus or insects. They would have chocked to death long before.
Antarius and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
My greatest trivial complaint is the Flight Attendant on LHR-LAX who constantly drenched herself in Opium by Yves St Laurent. Actually I suspect that she marinaded in it overnight. I am not complaining that she perfumed herself but had it been Rive Gauche I could have gone on breathing. I suspect that we were safe from any airbourne virus or insects. They would have chocked to death long before.
Perhaps that explains why on some international flights the crew must spray down the cabin after all passengers have been seated and the aircraft door closed.
catmndu and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I just used the last of the SWUs in my account, and under my account Rewards page it is still showing that I have EXPIRING SOON systemwide upgrades even though 0 are available!
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
At JFK Greenwich and MIA Flagship yesterday the Coke Freestyle machines didn't dispense regular Coke, probably because they had canned Coke in the refrigerator next to it. But I like the Coke out of the Freestyle machines better because I like the syrup ratio on it better but instead I had to drink it out of the can and it wasn't as good.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
At JFK Greenwich and MIA Flagship yesterday the Coke Freestyle machines didn't dispense regular Coke, probably because they had canned Coke in the refrigerator next to it. But I like the Coke out of the Freestyle machines better because I like the syrup ratio on it better but instead I had to drink it out of the can and it wasn't as good.
Funny, considering your FT handle
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:18 am
O62

When they do the safety presentation video, they never actually pull the red tab to inflate the life vest. Bear Grylls does it on the NZ video. Why can't we be like Bear Grylls?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by O62
When they do the safety presentation video, they never actually pull the red tab to inflate the life vest. Bear Grylls does it on the NZ video. Why can't we be like Bear Grylls?
While we're at it..Good 'ol Tommy Boy

hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:34 pm

We don't actually want you to pull the tab inside the aircraft on a real lifevest!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.