Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Qualification Deadline / Loyalty Points / Credit Card Statement Closing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

So the deadline for elite qualification is coming up on February 28. Most of my Citi AA cards statements close early in the month - so early March for spending done from early February and such. Do we know if American Airlines will count credit card spending done in February but posts via a statement in March, or do statements need to close before February 28 for Loyalty Points to Count?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Adelphos
So the deadline for elite qualification is coming up on February 28. Most of my Citi AA cards statements close early in the month - so early March for spending done from early February and such. Do we know if American Airlines will count credit card spending done in February but posts via a statement in March, or do statements need to close before February 28 for Loyalty Points to Count?
Your statement needs to close before Feb 28th.

Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-status.jsp
"Purchases made with your AAdvantage® credit card will count based on the date the activity posts to your AAdvantage® account."
Adelphos likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, if your Citi statement closes on the 10th of the month then any charges you want to have count for this years' qualification need to be made before Feb. 10.

Lots more discussion here and in the big LP thread.

Citi Credit Card Loyalty Point Timing Question
Adelphos and MarkY123 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:25 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This article indicates that all transactions that posts to your credit card prior to March 1, counts in the 2023/2024 elite qualifying year.

With the latest change, all credit card spending that posts to your account before the end of February will count toward the current elite qualification year, so credit card statement closing dates no longer factor into this.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...-elite-status/
IzzyL likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:30 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
This article indicates that all transactions that posts to your credit card prior to March 1, counts in the 2023/2024 elite qualifying year.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...-elite-status/
This is a good update. I believe that this is a change vs prior years?

[Programs' handling of year ends are always a bit touch-and-go.]
IzzyL likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:41 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I found an email about this change. I received the email on December 6, 2023 from [email protected]

As an AAdvantage® credit cardmember, you earn Loyalty Points on everyday purchases, which is a great way to reach AAdvantage® status and Loyalty Point Rewards.

With a few months left in the status qualification year, we wanted to make you aware of a change we’ve made to reaching status with your AAdvantage® credit card.

What has changed?

The Loyalty Points you earn on AAdvantage® credit card* purchases between March 1 and the end of February of the following year count toward the current status qualification year.

This means you can earn Loyalty Points through February 29, 2024, instead of your last statement close date of the qualification year.

What will this look like?

As an example, if your monthly AAdvantage® credit card statement closes on March 5 (which includes purchases posted to your credit card account between February 6 and March 5), all the Loyalty Points earned from purchases made between February 6 through 29 will count toward 2024 status. All Loyalty Points earned between March 1 and 5 count toward the 2025 qualification year.

It may take up to 8 – 10 weeks after March 5 to post to your account, in this example.

What happens on March 1?

The new status qualification year begins and your Loyalty Point balance resets to zero. You can then begin earning toward status from March 1, 2024 – February 28, 2025

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.