Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Free Upgrade to Gold / GLD for Select AAdvantage Members (AANGL)

Targeted: Free Upgrade to Gold / GLD for Select AAdvantage Members (AANGL)

Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Targeted: AA Comp'ed Me to Gold

Based on what I flew last year -- 23,928 miles, w/ 4 Y segments -- I just assumed I would not get Gold. But, I received an email this morning, with an offer code, that allowed me to register and get Gold status through Feb/2011.

I'll take it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

See Post #10 below for the full text of the email.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Mar 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Sounds more like they rounded up instead of an outright comp.

These issues are discussed at length here:

2010 AAdvantage status renewal/requalification questions/issues (consolidated)

Last edited by videomaker; Mar 2, 2010 at 10:00 am
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by DallasBill
Based on what I flew last year -- 23,928 miles, w/ 4 Y segments -- I just assumed I would not get Gold. But, I received an email this morning, with an offer code, that allowed me to register and get Gold status through Feb/2011.

I'll take it...
Congrats
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by videomaker

A promo code sounds more like a targeted offer than rounding to me. I recall a number of posts of "I didn't think I'd make it, but then I logged in on 3/1 and saw $status still there." in the past.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by videomaker

I looked there before posting this. I had to register with the code, by March 25th, in order to get the status upgrade.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
DallasBill, congratulations! It indeed sounds like you were offered a promotional opportunity to sign up by March 25 to get your Gold status comped through this current status year (as opposed to a buyback or a comp based on being, say, 500 miles from 25,000 miles) - very nice!

Thanks for sharing this with us - I'd have expected an offer to repurchase; someone at AA has a heart? (This has been merged into the 2010 status renewal/renewal thread as it is related, and adds another possibility to those who were targeted).

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 5, 2010 at 7:29 pm Reason: typoe
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by DallasBill
I had to register with the code, by March 25th, in order to get the status upgrade.
Whatever happened, enjoy! ^
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Mrs Paint Horse and I just received the same offer. Of course we said sure sign us up.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Email Promotional Offer for Free Upgrade to Gold for Select AAdvantage Members

Apologies if thread is already started. I did not locate one. I wasnt sure if the Challenge thread would be appropriate.
This site has been very helpful. Hopefully this post will provide information or benefit to others.

Purpose of Post:
1 - provide information on Email Promotional Offer for Free Upgrade to Gold for Select AAdvantage Members
2 - get feedback on is it possible to negotiate getting to Platinum?

This morning I received an email Welcome to AAdvantage Gold Status. My initial thought was AA determined that I had met my Gold Challenge which I began 01/16, even though my calculations show I would not meet it until next week.

I called AA. Turns out the promotional offer had nothing to do with my challenge. I was told this offer was only sent to select AAdvantage members whether members had a current challenge underway was not a factor in their selection. (As far as me being selected, Im not sure why but I have earned 14,655 Qualifying Elite Points since 10/26/2009 (just over 4 months), but I still have no elite status (I didn't know about challenges until recently). My understanding is that the benefits of this offer and the benefits of my Gold Challenge were the same both would earn Gold status through Feb 2011. The promotion offer would take 2-3 weeks to process. Whereas my flight next Monday will complete my Gold Challenge, so my Gold status should be confirmed next week. So I am not planning on registering for the promotion.

I would think AA would be able to track and confirm what members were offered this and only process this for those members. It mentions that in the details.

Details and Information on the Promotion Offer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Email Title: Welcome to AAdvantage Gold Status
Email Date: 03/02/2010 10:00am

My Name, AAdvantage(R) Number: XXX9999

Dear My Name,

At American Airlines, we think you deserve to be rewarded for your travel. As a special thank you for your business, were turning your regular AAdvantage(R) card into gold, by giving you AAdvantage Gold(R) membership through February 2011.

We know you'll appreciate the privileges of AAdvantage Gold(R) status, including:
- waived checked baggage charges
- preferred seating and priority boarding
- same day standby privileges
- complimentary upgrades when flying on eligible full-fare tickets*
- mileage bonuses for qualifying flights
- exclusive access to a dedicated phone line
- discounts on Admirals Club(R) memberships

For complete details on all AAdvantage Gold(R) status benefits, visit aa.com

This is an exclusive offer only for members who receive this email, and you must register online to participate.

Simply register for this promotion using Promotion Code AANGL by March 25, 2010.

Had link to Register which converted to:
http://www.aa.com/AAdvantage/viewBonusOffers.do

Promotional Terms & Conditions:

Offer is valid for recipients of this email only.
Registration for the promotion is required by midnight on March 25, 2010.
AAdvantage Gold membership obtained through this special offer will be valid through February 28, 2011. The benefits of AAdvantage Gold membership will take effect within 2 weeks of registering for this promotion. Your new AAdvantage Gold membership credentials will be mailed to you at the address on your AAdvantage account within 6 weeks after registration. You must re-qualify for AAdvantage Gold membership annually. Normal qualification criteria requires that you earn 25,000 elite-qualifying points or miles or fly 30 elite-qualifying segments annually.

For details regarding the AAdvantage program, visit www.aa.com/aadvantage

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

** Question 1 Do have I any hopes of negotiating to get to Platinum? I will not have enough (10,000) Qualifying Elite Points during my (Gold) Challenge Period which began 01/16. My case is

Point 1
I didnt know about challenges until late January. If I would have known I would have enrolled earlier and I would have met a Platinum Challenge in 3 out of the last 4 periods. My Qualifying Elite Points for the following periods:
11/01-01/31 10,599 points
11/16-02/15 12,159 points
12/01-02/28 9,479 points
12/16-03/15 10,103 points (based upon flights already booked)
01/01-03/31 9,791 points (based upon current plans)
01/16-04/15 8,736 points (based upon current plans) **My Challenge Period**

Point 2
I paid $80 for a Gold Challenge which I have met, but now upgrade to Gold is available to me for free.

Point 3
Im willing to pay the Upgrade Gold Challenge in Progress to a Platinum Challenge of $100, if AAdvantage will make be Platinum.

Do I have any chance??

** Question 2 If I do have a chance to negotiate to Platinum, any strategy on timing or what to say? My thought was to do this after my status has been upgrade to Gold (I would still have about 1 month left in my Challenge period) and I would iterate the above points.

Thanks for any feedback, suggestions, or comments.

Last edited by dstan; Mar 2, 2010 at 7:26 pm
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:26 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As the reports from multiple members indicate that this is a special offer, not related to 'rounding up' of 2009 EQMs, the above posts have now been split out from the Year-end Requal thread to a separate thread.

/Moderator

Edited to add: Welcome to FlyerTalk, bshawn, and thanks for posting!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by bshawn
Do have I any hopes of negotiating to get to Platinum?
You won't know unless you call and ask. Others have had success in changing GLD challenges to PLT.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I didn't receive this offer but at the same time I didn't receive an error message when signing up at the link. Has anybody else tried doing this without being targeted and been successful? I was ready to sign up for a challenge (unsure Gold or Plat yet) but I guess now I'll wait and see if my status upgrades anytime soon...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
I didn't receive this offer but at the same time I didn't receive an error message when signing up at the link. Has anybody else tried doing this without being targeted and been successful?
I know AA's IT system isn't exactly leading edge. But I find it hard to believe they would allow thousands of people (anyone without status, basically) not targeted for this promotion to get GLD free.

But let us know how it works out for you.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I didn't receive this offer but at the same time I didn't receive an error message when signing up at the link. Has anybody else tried doing this without being targeted and been successful? I was ready to sign up for a challenge (unsure Gold or Plat yet) but I guess now I'll wait and see if my status upgrades anytime soon...
I did the same thing, so we'll see. In 2009 I only flew 4 segments totalling like 5,000 M/EQM
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
I was bored so I registered for it as well. Now let's just hope that my EXP doesn't become Gold!

In reality I did register my sisters and mother for the promo... Hopefully it goes through!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.