Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm not saying anything. The poster didn't indicate what his final destination was so I asked.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Ive had problems a few times with UA eg flew into SAN but was staying that night by ONT. I asked they call SFO where the bags were (flew JFK-SFO-SAN) and to be flown 1st thing next day to ONT and delivered to my hotel by Noon as I was only by ONT for that 1 night.

Well good old COUA sent my bags down to SAN the next day, since ONT was too far for their delievry serivce it was sent back to SFO then onto ONT. By the time it got to ONT I was long gone and told if I wanted my bag I had to get myself to the hotel I slept at since my bag was dropped off there even thou I had already checked out and was 1/2 way to LAS

Its not only AA they are all the same, the worst is they all contact with the lowest bidder to delivery the bags, so at times in NY my delayed bag arrives 6-7am but isnt dropped off till close to midnight , as the service wants to send out as few drivers as they can , so they wait till all or most of that days bags have arrived. For the record I live apx 30 mins from JFK and 15 from EWR but the bags still dont get dropped off till around midnight
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Enough on the snark and unfriendliness, already!

Post summarily deleted; bow warning shot issued. /Moderator
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
So weeks later, I still received a BS reply from CS.. Telling me that they are still trying to locate my bag?! I couldn't believe it.. Seems that they just don't read messages. It's all automated.. I sent it to my contact at the DOT.. Talked with someone at baggage, and was finally offered for my bag to be picked up and delivered.. Now who knows if this would work out... Nonetheless it's too late, I have already bought replacement clothes... Even the women I spoke to couldn't believe what happened. I was told to send in receipts etc. I'm just not happy with the whole situation.. Also with the fact that AA shuts off communication, and doesn't allow customers to access customer service with out the BS web form which just sends out canned responses.. I hope the DOT hammers them hard. I'd prefer AA get large fines than me getting compensation...
Off to Lima soon, I am carrying on
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ryan754
I hope the DOT hammers them hard. I'd prefer AA get large fines than me getting compensation...
I can't say that I've noticed a history on this forum about bags going missing and not being properly delivered to have an end result in DOT fines. Have you talked with others with similar issues with AA? I know with the $350,000 UA fine, for not promptly dealing with refunds, there were a lot of complaints on the UA forum about that, and we're starting to see a similar pattern on that particular issue on the AA forum. Can't say I've noticed the same pattern of complaints here with lost or misdelivered bags.

Keep us updated on how DOT responds.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Compensation for lost luggage on AA

Hi guys! A week ago AA lost my luggage, which thankfully was already delivered to me in Europe in 3 days.
According to a phone call with AA support center, they will compensate me some expenses (toiletries, clothes etc.) in the amount of 150usd.
For this, i shpuld provide
◾Your 6-letter file locator ID
◾A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
◾Your original, dated, itemized, verifiable receipts documenting the authorized expenditures

Could you pls help me.. 1) What is a "ticket receipt"? 2) How are they going to compensate the money? Nothing is stated on whether i shall provide my credit card number, a bank account number, or maybe it is going to be compensated in form a flight voucher...

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've merged your query into the existing thread in the "Pre-Consolidation" forum, as AA and US haven't combined many airline operations, including baggage loss. /Moderator

Your receipt is usually available online from your booking information; it contains the ticket number. You might have also had an emailed receipt as well.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
If you have an e-ticket number, you can also find the receipt on the refunds page (no idea why there) - simply click on "request a receipt" instead of "request a refund".

https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Thanks. And what about the way to receive this compensation (credit card, bank account etc.)?
Old May 1, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
They sent me a check.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. In November 2014 I was on US Air PHL - BCN - DUS, last leg on AB, all went well. My flight back, however, didn't. DUS to MUC on AB, MUC to PHL on US. Somehow my baggage got misplaced in MUC. I was in Central Jersey for work for the next four days, then flying to Canada. After three days without my luggage, I ended up spending ~$550 to replace my essentials (work clothes, new luggage, boots, etc.) On my flight back to PHL from Canada, US called and said my bag had been located, would be arriving the next day, and I could go pick it up then.

Long story short, it took 5 days for them to locate my bag, but it arrived safe and sound. US Air ended up sending me a check for the full amount as reimbursement for my expenses, so I ended up with a few new clothes and new work boots for my trouble.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Hi guys,

I have a dilemma. On April 4th i did a CCS-MIA flight. My baggage got damaged, more or less a bit badly. It seems they tried to open it up at Caracas, Venezuela but thankfully no items were subtracted. I didn't follow a complaint immediately as i needed the bag for my connection the next day and pretty much when i arrived at MIA i was already exhausted and in a hurry.

I forgot the baggage issue, the cloth of the Samsonite got teared apart and they just broke all layers of cloth on a corner. I continued doing my trip for about another week, and on the return MIA-CCS April 15th the bag also suffered additional damage.

I missed to follow a complaint despite taking pictures of the incident and recording it for my mail to CS. I know i should have reacted sooner but was in the middle of other issues.

Today is May 6th, i'm aware of that, but wanted to ask what has been your experience or what you think if i mail CS and explain the situation along with the bag/airport photos despite of it being happened almost a month ago.

I may send my mail, i don't lose anything.. but liked to have some opinions.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by mvtm
Hi guys,

I have a dilemma. On April 4th i did a CCS-MIA flight. My baggage got damaged, more or less a bit badly. It seems they tried to open it up at Caracas, Venezuela but thankfully no items were subtracted. I didn't follow a complaint immediately as i needed the bag for my connection the next day and pretty much when i arrived at MIA i was already exhausted and in a hurry.

I forgot the baggage issue, the cloth of the Samsonite got teared apart and they just broke all layers of cloth on a corner. I continued doing my trip for about another week, and on the return MIA-CCS April 15th the bag also suffered additional damage.

I missed to follow a complaint despite taking pictures of the incident and recording it for my mail to CS. I know i should have reacted sooner but was in the middle of other issues.

Today is May 6th, i'm aware of that, but wanted to ask what has been your experience or what you think if i mail CS and explain the situation along with the bag/airport photos despite of it being happened almost a month ago.

I may send my mail, i don't lose anything.. but liked to have some opinions.
You've missed your chance, IMO. I cannot imagine them honoring this.

Put yourself in their shoes- would you believe it?

Id simply use this as a learning experience to not procrastinate. (I mean you checked in at MIA on 4/15 and could have filed right then and there.)
Old May 6, 2015, 12:55 am

It is good to know the compensation amount for the delay or loss before we decided which credit card should be used for the purchase of the travel ticket. It is huge difference in benefit of the compensation.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by ritesa
I called and said that I'm on Kauai without any suitable clothing for the climate. When I called again the next day they told me that anything "reasonable" will be reimbursed, although we still argued whether sunscreen is "reasonable" (on Kauai - what do they expect me to do? Not leave the house during the day?). I actually bought two sets of clothing, one pair of shoes and some toiletries (and sunscreen!) for ~$250 as my bag was delayed for over 4 days in the end, hope they consider this "resonable".

Here's what happened:

My bag was "delayed/lost" until April 2, that's 3 days, then they located it and said that it will arrive at LIH on April 3. I actually drove to the airport to see if my bag is on the afternoon flight, as I wanted my hiking gear and other stuff I needed for the holiday asap. It wasn't, but I was told that it will be on the evening flight - which already showed as delayed until 4am!

Well, we only had two more days on Kauai, so I decided to pick the bag up myself at 4am instead of waiting for it to be delivered who-knows-when the next day so as not to kind of lose another day of our holidays.

I got reunited with my bag at 4:28am - that's a delay of 4 days and 8 hours.

The "expedite baggage" tag showed AA216 to LAX as the first flight, so my bag had actually been sent to Sao Paolo! I saw a lot of bags to GRU being loaded on our flight to LAX at SFO, so this basically explains what happened. Still, why did it take them 3 days to even locate it? All the tags were still on the bag.

Another point is that every bag got scanned before being loaded at SFO - don't they do the same at LAX? How come no one noticed the bag being loaded on the wrong flight?

I was actually quite relieved that I got the bag back at all. We still enjoyed our holidays on Kauai, but the whole issue did impair our plans quite heavily and cost us some valuable time.
Just got an e-mail from AA at FRA that they will reimburse all expenses (~$260). This will be handled by their London office via bank transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.