Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I didn't actually notice the damage until I checked into my hotel at LHR. I don't sleep on planes, so after a 9.5hr overnight flight, with about an hour of sleep total, I wasn't paying much attention until I got to my room. As I was flying out of T5 the next day on BA, I didn't want to go to the airport an extra hour early just so I could go to T3, file a report and then go back to T5. The glass of scotch I got to enjoy with breakfast in the BA F lounge was worth almost as much as the bag .

As for not using aa.com on my phone, I'd have done just that, or found a coffee shop with wifi if I'd known that the 7 day mark was the special cutoff (had no idea and wasn't particularly focused on it). I just figured since my request was for such minor compensation, and I had pictures if they wanted them, they'd probably say sorry, throw me a few miles and be done with it (as they've done over even lesser issues in the past).
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Originally Posted by JumboD
I didn't actually notice the damage until I checked into my hotel at LHR. I don't sleep on planes, so after a 9.5hr overnight flight, with about an hour of sleep total, I wasn't paying much attention until I got to my room. As I was flying out of T5 the next day on BA, I didn't want to go to the airport an extra hour early just so I could go to T3, file a report and then go back to T5. The glass of scotch I got to enjoy with breakfast in the BA F lounge was worth almost as much as the bag .

As for not using aa.com on my phone, I'd have done just that, or found a coffee shop with wifi if I'd known that the 7 day mark was the special cutoff (had no idea and wasn't particularly focused on it). I just figured since my request was for such minor compensation, and I had pictures if they wanted them, they'd probably say sorry, throw me a few miles and be done with it (as they've done over even lesser issues in the past).
For the future, there's free wifi and computers in the BA lounge. You can send the email while you enjoy your scotch.

Having said that, I agree that it's pretty much like pulling teeth getting AA CS to treat you like an individual and show any empathy.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:52 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
My personal opinion is that the AA "rules" are reasonable. Even after 14 hour flights I take enough time to at least ensure my bags are intact.

To put a claim in ten days later (regardless of if you didn't realize the damage immediately or you didn't want to pay to contact AA) is unreasonable.

Especially when you admit the bag was a cheap piece of luggage.

Greg
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by GregL
My personal opinion is that the AA "rules" are reasonable. Even after 14 hour flights I take enough time to at least ensure my bags are intact.

To put a claim in ten days later (regardless of if you didn't realize the damage immediately or you didn't want to pay to contact AA) is unreasonable.

Especially when you admit the bag was a cheap piece of luggage.

Greg

But in the end, a conciliatory note with maybe 5K miles, would have probably prevented this thread and helped keep a customer of what seems to be a carrier in decline. Like I said, they are totally tone deaf.

IMHO, they seem to be regularly presented with opportunities to improve their perceived image and with remarkable regularity hide behind a rule book as an excuse to handle themselves the way they do. All too common in CS now.

As an aside, I placed an on line order for $47 with Old Navy and called to question how long it was taking to get it out the door. Their answer - You're right, this is slow and here's a $25 cert to encourage you to order with us again.

I have a WN flight on Tuesday. Point made.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JumboD
On a recent LAX-LHR my checked bag was damaged fairly badly, an entire seam was ripped along the back. This was a cheap piece of luggage I bought for the trip since I don't like risking my good luggage getting lost in transit when all it's being used for is socks, running clothes and snacks. Never the less, I found this bag in very poor shape when I got to my hotel at LHR.

To make a long story short, I contacted AA about ten days later to let them know and request compensation (I said either money or miles would suffice). I took a while because in Russia, where I was, hotel wifi is very expensive and I had data via my phone, though AA's app doesn't allow one to email customer relations. Hence I waited until I got to France and had free internet to email through AA.com. I received an email back saying that if I didn't see an airport rep in person within 24 hours or email within seven days, there was nothing to be done.

First things first, I get it, if those are the rules, those are the rules. What upset me, though, is this: 4-5k miles as a "we're sorry" would have left me feeling just fine over the whole thing, after all, it was a $45 bag and none of the stuff inside was lost or damaged. I just felt it was poor customer service to just quote the arbitrary rule book and tell someone who'd spent A LOT on their ticket (plus another 25k miles to upgrade the segment to F) that they were SOL when all they wanted were some miles as an apology. I let them know this in a subsequent email, but I'm wondering if I'm being unreasonable here?
You got 20K miles for a $45 suitcase which was damaged, but not destroyed. And that, after you had left the airport and flown at least 2 further segments (LHR-Russia and Russia-France). Other carriers might have better CS but nobody would give you better or close to that in comp.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You got 20K miles for a $45 suitcase which was damaged, but not destroyed. And that, after you had left the airport and flown at least 2 further segments (LHR-Russia and Russia-France). Other carriers might have better CS but nobody would give you better or close to that in comp.
Where on earth does it say that the OP got 20K miles ? Now, say sorry.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:09 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
(emphasis mine)

Sorry, I may be a little dense right now...but I'm not sure I see where the OP said that he got 20K miles comp?

Edit to add:
And now the thread is merged with the de facto luggage advice/"help desk" thread. /Moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm Reason: edit to add mod note
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
I had an experience with AA baggage at SFO that was ultimately resolved satisfactorily, but had some speed bumps along the way.

I had a steel-framed bag where the steel was bent enough that several welds had broken (in addition to the wheels being ripped off, the cover being ripped, an interior wooden panel being broken in half, etc.). It was sort of funny--in fact, I'd seen the baggage loaders laughing when they saw it.

At SFO, AA agreed compensation was appropriate. We agreed on a mix of miles and a limit on what they'd pay for a new bag (together, they approximated the cost of a new bag). However, AA wanted to take the old bag. This was a problem, since they didn't have a substitute and I didn't want to carry a bunch of loose items home on BART with my other luggage. Finally, they let me hold onto the broken bag so I could get home.

Also, AA wouldn't cut a check until I provided proof of getting a new bag. No problem--could I mail them the receipt? No. I had to return in person and show them the new bag. Okay--except the right people were never available when I went back to SFO baggage with my new bag to get the check.

Finally, the right person is available, but now it is maybe 60 days later. "You had to come back within 30 days," he tells me. This is the first I've heard of this requirement, which is surprising to me, because you'd think they would have mentioned it on one of the occasions when I was there in person, speaking with them. In any event, I'd been back within 30 days--luckily, one of his co-workers remembered me from a few of my visits, and they cut the check.

I could see where most folks would give up on getting compensation--and my discussions led me to believe that a non-elite flyer would have received nothing, anyway. The whole process seemed arbitrary.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:39 pm

Yes, it does seem like an arbitrary process and at best they seem to try to conceal some of their "policies". Like for example, for a pilfered bag, you have to appear in person within 24 hours of the loss. OK, I asked the clerks the next day, how do I documet this ? Will you give me a reciept for my visit ? No!

My point is that they need to be dealt with in a like manner. I have had to mail two pieces of correspondence for which I was certain they would deny recieving so I have to send them certified mail.

Any more hondling and attempted abuse and they can say hello to my little friend. AA is awful and in our case is really attempting to drive away business. After 1.8 million miles.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by idainc
Where on earth does it say that the OP got 20K miles ? Now, say sorry.
Even 2k miles might have prevented this thread, lol. I got zilch as compensation, I don't even think I got 20k in earned miles for the whole trip. What irked me was the fact that nobody seemed to step back and look at what this situation was really about:

-frequent flyer by most standards (GLD now, maybe PLT later this year)
-expensive business class ticket (which could have been purchased on any carrier, only bought on AA to upgrade to F which is a luxury, not a necessity)
-p!ssed off that AA wasn't more careful with his luggage
-just wanted a bit more than a form letter apology

That's not the time to break out the rule book. Had I told them an antique vase worth $45k was in the bag and had been broken, I could see them trying to shield themselves from liability in any conceivable way.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by execplatscum
While at MSY last night bemoaning my continued delay I bumped into a couple who had one of the most complicated baggage issues I had heard. The folks at the airport were unable to help so was wondering what the right advise would be.

Flying MSY to DCA overnight then continuing IAD to Kenya (Ethiopian Air) next day. The DCA flight had problems so they stood by for a BWI flight (checked baggage).. Bag made it to BWI they did not. Now flying to ORD then DCA and wondering how to get their bag from BWI in time for their flight to Kenya out of IAD.

Will AA shuttle the bag to IAD for them? If they don't connect with the bag will AA arrange to get it to Kenya?
I suspect AA will say they got the bag to the intended destination and are not responsible for shuttling to a different airport. They may surprise me though and be willing to do that.

But, if the bag misses the Kenya flight then I really doubt AA would do anything to ensure the bag gets there. What carrier is doing the DCA-Kenya flight? Is it a OneWorld carrier? If so then they may have more luck in requesting the transfer to DCA and get on a later Kenya flight.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JY1024
(emphasis mine)

Sorry, I may be a little dense right now...but I'm not sure I see where the OP said that he got 20K miles comp?

Edit to add:
And now the thread is merged with the de facto luggage advice/"help desk" thread. /Moderator
I read it as 4 x 5 thousand miles, but did bad math. Should have read it as 20K miles. But, point is that bag was damaged either by AA or taxi in London and not reported for 10 days until after 2 further segments (UK to Russia and Russia to France). That equates to no compensation except as a matter of goodwill. Even 5K miles is a lot because while miles do not translate into actual cash, they have a significant cost (carriers take reserves on their balance sheet for average value of outstanding awards), capacity is down, purchased fares are up and thus on other threads, lots of complaining about lack of award avail. One way to control award avail (among others) is not to hand out miles as in the past. Only enhances the problem on the other side of the equation: the guy complaining that he's got a million miles and can't use them.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikelat
I suspect AA will say they got the bag to the intended destination and are not responsible for shuttling to a different airport. They may surprise me though and be willing to do that.

But, if the bag misses the Kenya flight then I really doubt AA would do anything to ensure the bag gets there. What carrier is doing the DCA-Kenya flight? Is it a OneWorld carrier? If so then they may have more luck in requesting the transfer to DCA and get on a later Kenya flight.
I have never heard of any carrier which does either inline or interline luggage transfers between DCA, IAD & BWI. When the carriers do local delivery (missed bag, etc), they use one of a couple of local DC delivery companies which make a fortune off this. Very doubtful that intl carrier would accept (or be allowed by TSA) to accept luggage from a delivery van guy, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, the easiest and likely best thing to do is grin and bear the cost of getting a car service to pick me up at DCA, take me to BWI and then on to IAD. Likely cost in the $300 range + tip. I would then do a non-snarky letter to AA with the receipt and asked to be reimbursed. I strongly suspect that AA would deny the request and possibly provide a very small voucher, but it never hurts to ask and see. AA undertook to get the bags to BWI (w. the pax permission switch from DCA) and that's what it did.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Some posts above are on the money with this one. Airlines are generally sticklers about these issues, and as I am sure I have said previously, airlines have written the rules to be as one-sided and onerous to customers as possible - from their Conditions of Carriage to the Warsaw and Montreal conventions. These greedy spurii have, since the day they started carrying passengers, written the rules to benefit themselves, and only grudgingly make concessions to their self-loading freight, er, passengers.

So, ten days late filing a claim, there is no likely mercy for the OP in this issue. Admittedly cheap luggage with torn seam? They would likely have said "it's normal wear and tear, caused by overpacking cheap luggage". Items lost? They will require receipts to pay more than a nominal amount (hint: as you pack take a dated digital photo or two - this is what I do to document my dive gear). The approach is nearly Napoleonic - it's your fault, unless you can absolutely prove it is theirs; the passenger has the presumption of guilt, if not chumpdom. (I suspect this explains in part the popularity of sites that enable passengers to learn how they can gain a better hand in the game.)

This is all pretty much regardless of status, unless you are a much more frequent flyer than merely Executive Platinum by miles, and hopefully also have status in your life with the ability to influence others' travel. IMO, they really just do not care, and the airlines are pretty much siloed as far as management concerns, so baggage losses are not something other departments really care about.

What to do? Buy cheap luggage (also a good theft preventive) and move on when it is damaged; buy some of the luggage out there with lifetime warranty, like some TravelPro, Eagle Creek, Stahlsac, etc. and have it repaired / replaced properly by the manufacturer. If you want to spend some time and receive some token miles or the like, formalize a snailmail complaint with a copy to DOT.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Some posts above are on the money with this one. Airlines are generally sticklers about these issues, and as I am sure I have said previously, airlines have written the rules to be as one-sided and onerous to customers as possible - from their Conditions of Carriage to the Warsaw and Montreal conventions. These greedy spurii have, since the day they started carrying passengers, written the rules to benefit themselves, and only grudgingly make concessions to their self-loading freight, er, passengers.

So, ten days late filing a claim, there is no likely mercy for the OP in this issue. Admittedly cheap luggage with torn seam? They would likely have said "it's normal wear and tear, caused by overpacking cheap luggage". Items lost? They will require receipts to pay more than a nominal amount (hint: as you pack take a dated digital photo or two - this is what I do to document my dive gear). The approach is nearly Napoleonic - it's your fault, unless you can absolutely prove it is theirs; the passenger has the presumption of guilt, if not chumpdom. (I suspect this explains in part the popularity of sites that enable passengers to learn how they can gain a better hand in the game.)

This is all pretty much regardless of status, unless you are a much more frequent flyer than merely Executive Platinum by miles, and hopefully also have status in your life with the ability to influence others' travel. IMO, they really just do not care, and the airlines are pretty much siloed as far as management concerns, so baggage losses are not something other departments really care about.

What to do? Buy cheap luggage (also a good theft preventive) and move on when it is damaged; buy some of the luggage out there with lifetime warranty, like some TravelPro, Eagle Creek, Stahlsac, etc. and have it repaired / replaced properly by the manufacturer. If you want to spend some time and receive some token miles or the like, formalize a snailmail complaint with a copy to DOT.
This is probably, unfortunately, dead on . It's not worth a letter to the DOT, etc as this is really just about AA taking a minor annoyance and making it worse.

What they need to understand about me is this: Flying J is a necessity, flying F is a luxury. Now that I don't worry so much about buying Y and upgrading to J and instead base my travel partly on buying J and upgrading to F (transoceanic flights) the commitment to a given frequent flyer program doesn't have to be nearly what it was a few years ago. Not happy with buying AA J and upgrading to F? I can always just buy VS J and try something else entirely. Will I bail over this? No, that would be almost as silly as them throwing the rules in my face when all I wanted were some miles, but I don't consider myself nearly as tied down (especially since I'll hit 1mm this summer and always have the ability to get exit rows and request upgrades on discount tix for domestic travel).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.