Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:50 pm

Unhappy Lost/Delayed Baggage on AA/Qatar Airways

Hi,

I flew from San Francisco to Bombay (Mumbai) via New York and Doha on the 1st of September and Landed in Bombay on the 3rd of September.

My flights were as follows:
American Airlines: AA178 from SFO to New York (JFK) on September 1st at 1.40 pm
Qatar Airways: QR84 from NY to Doha
Qatar Airways: QR200 from Doha to Bombay. on September 3rd at 3 am

My bags were checked in at SFO with American Airlines, almost 2 and a half hours before departure. The agent there said that the bags would arrive in Bombay and gave me a tag with 2 separate codes for each of my baggage with the airport codes JFK, DOH, BOM.

When I landed in Bombay, only one of the bags had reached. I immediately filed a PIR with the Qatar Airways staff at the Mishandled/Lost baggage counter and got a copy of the PIR.

The guy at the counter said that I could get more information on the missing baggage by calling a number he gave me at around 9 am. Despite repeated calls, no one took the call till around 9.30am.

I was then given a file reference code(after finding out that there was such a thing as world tracer and asking for a reference code). The person on call told me that the information would be updated only after 24 hours. Apart from that the number that she gave me was a 13 digit character code and not a 10 character code as the site specifies.

It has now been more than 24 hours and the file is still not updated and gives the error 'The system cannot locate a valid file for your entry. Please check your entry and try again, or contact your airline for more information'.

I tried different 10 character combinations with the 5 alphabets first and the 5 numerals later.

I even emailed customer support and hope to get a reply soon, but i really don't have much hope that that will happen.

Needless to say, I am very upset as my bags contained most of my office clothes from my trip, including 2 very expensive suits and articles that have a high sentimental value. I would like to know how I can find out where my bags are and what process i should go through to escalate this matter.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Franz
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:49 pm

Deleting old posts

Last edited by Redakai; Apr 14, 2012 at 1:35 am Reason: Deleting old posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:52 pm

Help--lost items in baggage

I traveled on AA and had a checked in bag with a number of expensive items (an SLR camera, suits, glasses). The bag arrived in a later flight and was delivered to me ... but it is missing most of the said items.

What is the best recourse--are certain items excluded? I realize I shouldnt have checked in the bag, but am trying to figure out how best to recoup the over $2,000 of lost items.

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
esvee212 welcome to FT and I'm sorry to hear it's in such bad circumstances.

I'm going to move this over to the dedicated AA forum, where the guys and gals will be able to assist.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by esvee212
I traveled on AA and had a checked in bag with a number of expensive items (an SLR camera, suits, glasses). The bag arrived in a later flight and was delivered to me ... but it is missing most of the said items.
Welcome to FT!

First, I can't believe an SLR camera and expensive glasses would be left in checked luggage. That's just asking for them to disappear.

Have you filed a claim with AA? You should also check their website to see the exceptions to what they will cover.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Any airline, AA included, limits their liability for any lost items. If you have valuable items in checked luggage, then you fill out an excess valuation form at checkin and pay for the excess valuation insurance.

You can't just check in without any advance declaration of valuable items in checked luggage, then later complain about your missing Tiffany jewelry, Rolex watch and full length mink coat, then expect to be fully compensated
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the best recourse--are certain items excluded? I realize I shouldnt have checked in the bag, but am trying to figure out how best to recoup the over $2,000 of lost items.

Thanks.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You have just learned an expensive lesson. AA isn't going to give you anything for your camera and glasses. The suits? Maybe. But the cameras and glasses? You'll get nothing and like it.

From the AA C of C:

Liability
American's liability for loss, damage or delayed delivery of checked baggage, including transfer baggage, is limited to the actual value of the baggage or $3,300, whichever is less, unless the passenger declares a higher value for loss of baggage, not to exceed $5000.00 including the $3,300 standard liability per passenger and pays American a sum of $2.00 per $100.00 (or any portion thereof) of excess value. Excess valuation coverage is not available for and does not apply to items excluded in our liability below. See Additional Insurance.

American does not accept in or as checked baggage any of the following items: antiques, artifacts, artwork, books and documents, china, computers and other electronic equipment, computer software, fragile items (including child/infant restraint devices such as strollers and car seats), eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, non-prescription sunglasses and all other eyewear and eye/vision devices whether lenses are glass, plastic, or some other material, furs, heirlooms, keys, liquids, medicines, money, orthotics, surgical supports, perishable items, photographic, video and optical equipment, precious metals, stones or jewelry, securities and negotiable papers, silverware, samples, unique or irreplaceable items or any other similar valuable items.

American does not accept these items in or as checked baggage and assumes no responsibility or liability for such items, regardless of whether American knew or should have known of the presence of such items in checked or transferred baggage. If any such items are lost, damaged or delayed, you will not be entitled to any reimbursement under American's standard baggage liability, or under any declared excess valuation. Do not attempt to check these items. Carry them with you in the passenger cabin (subject to carry-on baggage limitations).
Never check anything you can't afford to lose. Me? On the rare times I check a bag, I only check ordinary clothing and other non-valuables.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
American is not unique in this regard - you'll find pretty much the same policies at any U.S. airline. Carryons are for those expensive items.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Any airline, AA included, limits their liability for any lost items. If you have valuable items in checked luggage, then you fill out an excess valuation form at checkin and pay for the excess valuation insurance.

You can't just check in without any advance declaration of valuable items in checked luggage, then later complain about your missing Tiffany jewelry, Rolex watch and full length mink coat, then expect to be fully compensated
Actually, you can't get protection against loss of excluded items (such as cameras and glasses) even if you declare them in advance and pay for excess coverage. The "excess coverage" that you buy only covers NON-EXCLUDED items that are above the default coverage amount.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:16 pm

esvee212, I'm sorry to hear about this, and understand it can be very frustrating to be taken advantage of in this manner. I think a lot of the advice will be of the "going forward" type, which may help you if not others reading this in the future.

Insurance is your best bet here. If you travel a lot with valuables, get a rider on your insurance policy to cover them (on your renter's or home insurance). I do a lot of photography and travel with my camera gear everywhere, and everything is covered for full replacement value. I pay about 1% of the replacement value per year.

Again, very sorry to hear about this, but please file complaints not only with AA, but with the TSA and if possible the airports in question. Hopefully there's some major sting going on and you'll get everything back.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
You've made some luggage handler/screener very happy, it seems.

If you have homeowner/renters insurance, it may cover it. Also some credit cards provide coverage too.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
You made a really poor decision to put valuable items in a checked bag. You won't get anything from any airline.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Actually, you can't get protection against loss of excluded items (such as cameras and glasses) even if you declare them in advance and pay for excess coverage.
I stand corrected. Thank you.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

What is the best recourse--are certain items excluded? I realize I shouldnt have checked in the bag, but am trying to figure out how best to recoup the over $2,000 of lost items. ...
Was your flight Domestic USA or International?

If domestic you are SOL.

However, if International, the Montreal convention applies and AA cannot avoid responsibility. However, there are two caveats:
Specifically, if an international routing including a signatory country to the Montreal Convention and items in checked luggage go missing then:
  • There is a one week time limit to make a claim in writing, and,
  • The carriers liability is limited to 1000XDR's (Currently ~USD1550)

Last edited by serfty; Oct 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: EXP- finally
GA Gate checks bags complimentary groups 3,4,5

A smart GA at FLL asked early for groups 3,4,5 etc to have their bags checked complimentary on this full flight. First I have seen that, hope it spreads. Will improve on time departures hopefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.