Middle East to Asia 2 award travel using AA miles ?

Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Middle East to Asia 2 award travel using AA miles ?

Hey AA crowd. First time in "your" forum as I'm a UA guy. Question about redemption. I know very little about AA program and one world, thus I have a feeling this maybe easy, but I think it is a little more complex than that.

I would like to go from Bahrain (BAH) to Manila (MNL) on Gulf Air or other one world airline. I have looked at AA award chart and although it seems confusing I believe it looks like the following each way:

Y- 22.5
C- 30
F- 45

I know you guys book each way awards (which I wish UA did).

Ideally I would like to fly with a stopover in Bangkok or other destination.

1. How many miles do I need to request a round trip on Gulf Air and / or other one world partner?

2. With a one world award (which Gulf air wouldn't be) are stopovers allowed?

3. What other airlines etc do you guys recommend for the above?

Gracias.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
schley,

I'm no expert, but I'd like to help you out as much as I can. Here's what I know:

Originally Posted by schley
1. How many miles do I need to request a round trip on Gulf Air and / or other one world partner?
A partner award would allow you to travel BAH>MNL for the miles you quoted (45k/60k/90k total). Going to BKK wouldn't really be a stopover because BKK is not the hub for any partner carrier (BKK becomes a side trip).

oneworld awards work on a mileage system, not a zone system. Either of your proposed trips would fall into the Distance Zone 5 for 90k/115k/150k miles. Chart here. Since oneworld awards require two oneworld airlines to be flown, your routing could be BAH-AMM-BKK-HKG-MNL-HKG-BAH, though other possibilities can be imagined.

Alternately, you could redeem an open jaw on Gulf Air BAH-BKK-x-MNL-BAH for 45k/60k/90k total miles and buy a ticket BKK-MNL which should work out to be rather inexpensive (priced a random Saturday in February at $182).

Gracias.
De nada.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hey AA crowd. First time in "your" forum as I'm a UA guy. Question about redemption. I know very little about AA program and one world, thus I have a feeling this maybe easy, but I think it is a little more complex than that.

I would like to go from Bahrain (BAH) to Manila (MNL) on Gulf Air or other one world airline. I have looked at AA award chart and although it seems confusing I believe it looks like the following each way:

Y- 22.5
C- 30
F- 45

I know you guys book each way awards (which I wish UA did).

Ideally I would like to fly with a stopover in Bangkok or other destination.

Gracias.
1. For a one-way award, you would need the miles you listed. For round trip, twice that many. Stopovers would not be permitted. If you want to stopover, you would need two awards, one Middle East-Asia 2, and one Asia 2 - Asia 2.

2.One world awards allow stopovers. They are based on the actual miles flown, not on the point-to-point distance between stopovers as they used to be. For example, BAH-LHR-BKK(X)-NRT-MNL one-way would involve flying 13,909 miles, and would require an award that permitted 14,000 miles of flying,

3. For BAH-BKK, you might consider RJ or BA, for BKK-MNL, JL or CX.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Good information. So I could book an open jaw on Gulf with AA miles

bah-bkk and then mnl-bah

this is only 45k AA miles?

I think the one world is out since that requires to one world carriers and is twice as many miles it seems.

Comments on the above? Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.