Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Good luck with that one. AA eliminated the downfaring a while back, so I doubt they will do it on awards now.
You could cancel your trip, redeposit the miles for a fee and rebook yourself. Of course that means you lose your seat, availability might be an issue, etc...
Yeah, thought about that. As an EP, redeposit fee might be waived, but there is no availability currently available and I'm not sure if my cancelled award seats would be returned to an award bucket...can't run the risk.
Old May 10, 2009, 7:02 am

I'm not saying, but just last night, I was also able to purchase a one way ticket on American for exactly half the round trip fare. Is this now system wide pricing policy, no penalty for buying just one way tickets, besides the AA one way award availability?? Did I miss this announcement somehow?

Last edited by tele; May 10, 2009 at 7:27 am
Old May 10, 2009, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by portflyer
so let's see if i understand the new rules: planning to use award for travel from JFK to DPS over HKG (AA/Cathay pacific). had been planning to stop two days in HKG since connection is overnight there anyway. now will have to sleep on a bench overnight at HKG or scramble back from hotel to pick up flight to DPS??????
I'll be curious what you find out for this (in part due I'm going to DPS as well this summer). I confirmed with BA yesterday that stopovers are still very much permitted on OW itineraries, even when including AA. So if BA were booking the ticket, you could avoid sleeping on the bench in HKG. Hence it seems odd that booking through AA would mean the bench.

BTW, I had no difficulty finding ample J inventory on CX this summer, but it usually does force a HKG overnight in at least one direction. The schedule on JL is better, but summer inventory hasn't been released save for drips and drabs. But in theory, JFKNRT/NRTDPS in both direction can be done with just a few hours in NRT each time.
Old May 10, 2009, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'll be curious what you find out for this (in part due I'm going to DPS as well this summer). I confirmed with BA yesterday that stopovers are still very much permitted on OW itineraries, even when including AA. So if BA were booking the ticket, you could avoid sleeping on the bench in HKG. Hence it seems odd that booking through AA would mean the bench.

BTW, I had no difficulty finding ample J inventory on CX this summer, but it usually does force a HKG overnight in at least one direction. The schedule on JL is better, but summer inventory hasn't been released save for drips and drabs. But in theory, JFKNRT/NRTDPS in both direction can be done with just a few hours in NRT each time.
Booking on BA means using BA miles ( plus the attendant higher fuel charges)
but we are talking here about AA awards using AA miles... no?

mike
Old May 10, 2009, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MIKESILV

mike
Of course. I was simply pointing out that it seems odd that oneworld stopovers could be determined based on the currency one books with.
Old May 10, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Another benefit of the changes:

I was wondering about the fact that the multi-city award page allows for 4 parts, and then it hit me - by pricing a r/t as two 1-ways, that means that where stopovers are still allowed (gateway city), you can now get two free stopovers, one in each direction.
Old May 10, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dammit, why didn't they do this last month?

I would have been all over the FCO-BKK for 50 Euros combo-ed with the KUL-YVR in C for $600 if I had just been able to get a cheap flight one-way to FCO!
Old May 10, 2009, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by swag
Another benefit of the changes:

I was wondering about the fact that the multi-city award page allows for 4 parts, and then it hit me - by pricing a r/t as two 1-ways, that means that where stopovers are still allowed (gateway city), you can now get two free stopovers, one in each direction.
This is correct and for those of us living in "gateway" cities... is like 2 free 1/2 round trips. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Newark - Jackson Hole ($219 in Y / Purchased Ticket)
[Stop]
Jackson Hole - Newark (F Award Ticket #1)
[Stop]
New York - Hong Kong (F Award Ticket #1)
[Stop]
Hong Kong - New York (F Award Ticket #2)
[Stop]
New York (LaGuardia) - Eagle, CO (F Award Ticket #2)
[Stop]
Eagle, CO - New York ($219 in Y / Purchased Ticket)

^
Old May 10, 2009, 8:31 am

BA miles used for CX LAX-HKG-SIN in J recently required only USD39 in taxes/charges for a one-way.

Originally Posted by MIKESILV

mike
Old May 10, 2009, 8:32 am
Suspended

Of course. I was simply pointing out that it seems odd that oneworld stopovers could be determined based on the currency one books with.
Well yes.... but BA's awards are sort of the equivalent of AA All partners awards but there is no milage based ( so named ' Oneworld award' by AA) in their repertoire.. now ask me which one I prefer?
Viva le diference.

mike
Old May 10, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Colin
BA miles used for CX LAX-HKG-SIN in J recently required only USD39 in taxes/charges for a one-way.
Taxes quite reasonable on JFKNRT (AA) booked through BA. I think it is only on BA metal that you really get walloped with taxes.
Old May 10, 2009, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Colin
Fine and while its quite possible/likely that BA has recently reduced their fuel charges but in Dec I looked at a F award HKG/YYZ on CX using BA mile and the charges were about $165.00 for that one leg.

I eventually booked a OW F award on AA TPA/MIA/LHR/NRT/PEK/HKG/YYZ/ORD/TPA and the charges for the entire itin came up to $157 ( it includes the same HKG/YYZ CX leg)
I am pretty certain if I booked the above on BA it would have been substantially higher.

mike
Old May 10, 2009, 9:04 am

i will be using AA miles and wish to stop in hkg (as opposed to making a quicker connection thru another city) hence CX [up to yesterday] being the perfect solution. will not be booking this december trip until mid fall so by then the dust will have settled and we will know better how the changes pan out. however, this will not be helpful to you in planning your dps trip.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by mygirlsmom
The definition of a stopover is now different on the one way awards. A stopover is defined as more than 4 hours for itineraries using an award within/between the U.S./Canada/PR/U.S. VI and more than 24 hours for Mexico, Carribean or other international awards. They have seperated SJU and Carribean for the pupose of stopover rules. So I interpret this to mean SJU is an acceptable stopover for EIS.
Do you have a source for that?
Old May 10, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've scanned this thread, and I'm confused. Is the belief that international stopovers are disappearing based on a single agent's statement? Is there anything else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.