Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

shareAAmiles - Transfer / share AA miles for fee (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

shareAAmiles - Transfer / share AA miles for fee (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
There is absolutely nothing wrong w/booking a ticket for someone else using your miles. You can do it online or over the phone, it doesn't matter.
And if he does it by June 10th for travel from Sept 7-Nov 8 he can do it for 30% less.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/flightAwardDiscount.jsp
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
To do this, select the flights off of AA.com. On the "enter passenger details" screen, make sure your name is in there and your AAdvantage number, if any, is listed. That's it...
At first I was confused but now I understand. As long as I am logged in under the AAdvantage account that contains the miles I want to use, it doesn't matter that I take that account number out of the passenger details info. I was thinking doing that wouldn't allow me to use the miles for my reservation. If that makes sense.

Reservation made. Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by odom4president
so ur saying i should book the ticket for my family member, but will AA care since the first name is different from the name on my account? how do i make sure that it doesn't look like i am selling my miles to a total stranger, i don't want to be accused of doing any fraud, should i just book over the phone and say its a family member for better security?
AA allows you to book a ticket in any name so long as you are not selling the mileage. For instance, my daughter has 150K miles in her name. She just booked 2 mileage tickets online in my name and in my wife's name. No problem, perfectly within the rules and regulations specified by AA.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I've booked numerous for friends, no problems.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by gemac
Of course you can. With the many millions of AAdvantage members that AA has, this is done every day. The way that you do this is:
1. In your will, specify that the family member who you want to transfer the miles to is to receive all your miles upon your death.
2. Die.
Voila. The executor of your estate contacts AA, and your miles are transfered.
Are you sure miles are inheritable? When my mother died in 2003, both her BAEC miles and Amex points died with her.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is a thread stating that AA allows this under specific conditions.

Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors and assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. Mileage credit is transferable between AAdvantage accounts when offered by AA online, with the shareAAmilesSM program. The member must adhere to the rules and limitations of the shareAAmiles program. link

(Further discussion about this specific issue should be carried out in the thread linked to.)

Originally Posted by billgrates3
Are you sure miles are inheritable? When my mother died in 2003, both her BAEC miles and Amex points died with her.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
AA miles are inheritable and there is a sliding fee--smaller than the transfer fee. Takes about one week, a will, and a death certificate. The heir of the miles may be one of one or one of many heirs in the will. Please consult the other thread.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
"At least one Adult or one Senior passenger type must be selected when a Child passenger is traveling."

How can I book a ticket from my son's account just for him who is a minor? I get the message above when I try.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by riteshraja
"At least one Adult or one Senior passenger type must be selected when a Child passenger is traveling."

How can I book a ticket from my son's account just for him who is a minor? I get the message above when I try.
You have to call AA in my experience. I did this a couple of times when my sons were younger. You will have to have the PNR of an adult travelling with him to link his reservation to.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RachelG
You have to call AA in my experience. I did this a couple of times when my sons were younger. You will have to have the PNR of an adult travelling with him to link his reservation to.
Yes, or pay the unaccompanied minor fee if he is under 12.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by riteshraja

Never mind. Called AA - they say just book all 3 tickets under 1 account for now and then call and they can divide up the tickets to come out of individual AAdvantage accounts.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by fastflyer
AA miles are inheritable and there is a sliding fee--smaller than the transfer fee. Takes about one week, a will, and a death certificate. The heir of the miles may be one of one or one of many heirs in the will. Please consult the other thread.
Sorry to bother but - what other thread? The only ones I've found are more than a year old. Are those the ones you refer to?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Can I Transfer AA Miles Between Accounts?

Is it possible to transfer AA Miles between accounts? I'd like to transfer miles from my account to my significant other so that we can combine the miles.

**I can do this on United for a fee. Can it be done with American Airlines? If so, how?

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Is it possible to transfer AA Miles between accounts? I'd like to transfer miles from my account to my significant other so that we can combine the miles.

**I can do this on United for a fee. Can it be done with American Airlines? If so, how?

Thanks!
Yes, you can. It is called Shaaremiles.
Go to aa.com.
Under the tab for "Aadvantage", you will see "Buy and Share Miles"
AA awards are one way awards, so you can use 2 different accounts to book a round trip.
IMHO, it might even be a better deal to buy miles, rather then pay to transfer them... or simply fly somewhere and earn them.
There are often bonus specials, so unless this is an emergency, watch out for them.

Again, this is also good when there is a bonus going on for earning miles. Many of us have earned miles at lower rates than what AA charges for transferring miles.

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:38 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by cslovacek

Thanks!
Yes, for a fee - ShareAAMiles - note that AA Awards can be booked for other parties using miles from your account or (vice versa), so no need to combine unless you are short of the necessary miles for an Award.

-----------------------------------
This thread will now be merged into the consolidated thread on this topic.
/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.