FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Energy Plus AA Bonus Offers (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/939182-energy-plus-aa-bonus-offers-consolidated.html)

jczinn Apr 2, 2009 8:53 am

Energy Plus offer--4000 miles (NY State)

I got a mailing this week offering 4000 AA miles as well as 2 miles for every dollar spent if I switch my electric over to Energy Plus. (This offer is probably NY State only). My inclination is to try it--you can cancel and switch back to (Con Ed in my case) at any time. Since your bonus miles are deposited after the 2nd month of service, it seems low-risk. From what I've researched, it may turn out that the monthly bill is a bit higher but if I just keep it a few months it may be worth getting the 4000 miles.

on the other hand I am always a little nervous with these switcheroos as I always seem to get caught up in something that loses me money (like everytime Verizon offers me a package) :rolleyes: But this seems a pretty safe bet to earn quite a few miles at a low cost.

Anyone else get this offer and have some thoughts on this?

You can see the full offer here:

http://www.EnergyPlusRewards.com/AA4000

747 Apr 2, 2009 9:30 am

Trying it.....why not.

Just applied. Thanks!

yellow77 Apr 2, 2009 10:54 am

Energy Plus is not a good deal

It's more than a bit higher: in the ROC area in February their rate was 12.5 c/kWh, when the local legacy utility, RG&E, was charging around 6 c/kWh. Steer clear unless you use almost no electricity (eg second house not occupied).

dayone Apr 2, 2009 11:04 am

Yes, you should definitely shop the rate. Historically, Energy Plus has not been competitive.

jczinn Apr 2, 2009 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 11517207)
Yes, you should definitely shop the rate. Historically, Energy Plus has not been competitive.

but is it worth it just for two or three months until I get credited the 4000 miles, and then switch back? Currently I am paying 11.4 cents Kwh to ConEd. My electric bill is around $100 a month of which about $45 is the actual energy portion.

I guess the question is how much is 4000 miles worth?

jczinn Apr 2, 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jczinn (Post 11517420)
I guess the question is how much is 4000 miles worth?

to answer my own question, 4000 miles would cost $140 to buy

I did find a rate online for Energy Plus in my area which was 12.9 cents/Kwh. So even if it cost me $10 more or so a month for three or even four months, its still worth it, I think.

exitrow Apr 2, 2009 1:00 pm

The traditional answer is 4000 miles are worth about $80 or $.02 per mile.

virmaior Apr 2, 2009 1:15 pm

they offered me 5K. I will post the link later today.

I actually had taken them up on earlier 3K offer...

I can post the link this weekend when I am back at home.

jczinn Apr 2, 2009 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by virmaior (Post 11517902)
they offered me 5K. I will post the link later today.

I actually had taken them up on earlier 3K offer...

I can post the link this weekend when I am back at home.

oh yeah I'd really like that 5000 mile link! Please post it...I'll hold off on the 4000 mile offer.

virmaior Apr 2, 2009 5:30 pm

www.EnergyPlusRewards.com/AA05

but negatively you have to hold on for 6 months to get the final 2K.

jczinn Apr 2, 2009 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by virmaior (Post 11519259)
www.EnergyPlusRewards.com/AA05

but negatively you have to hold on for 6 months to get the final 2K.

thanks for the link... actually I think the 4k is a better deal as I don't think I'd want to risk having to pay their rate for six months. I'm gonna go with the original offer.

rtom Nov 11, 2009 4:47 am

How long to get your miles?

I signed up a few weeks ago. How long after your first bill from Energy Plus did you get your miles?

And can anyone verify that you can switch back to your old provider just a few months later without penalty?

jczinn Nov 11, 2009 7:28 am

Originally Posted by rtom (Post 12804822)
I signed up a few weeks ago. How long after your first bill from Energy Plus did you get your miles?

And can anyone verify that you can switch back to your old provider just a few months later without penalty?

I did get my miles quite quickly..within days I think of receiving a bill, the miles were posted on my AA account. And as soon as I got the bonus 4000 I switched back, with no problem--it did take one cycle to switch back. In the end, I am not sure what it cost me for those miles--my bills were definitely higher but its hard to tell by how much, and very stupidly I joined up just in time to hit the summer high peak electric season :( If you are joining now (fall/winter) you should take less of a hit. I don't think I'd bother doing it again if they made the offer again.

demkr Nov 11, 2009 7:40 am

The offer for me was 3K miles, not 4K ? and I have only received a total of.....26....bonus miles from them so far. Apparently, AA says they will post at the end of the 2nd bill cycle which happened last week, so we'll see.

sbagdon Nov 11, 2009 8:03 am

Originally Posted by jczinn (Post 11516354)
Anyone else get this offer and have some thoughts on this?

Do we have had to have gotten this offer to share our thoughts on this? :)

If you can get the miles and get out quickly, go for it. Intersting to see if they'll let you repeat it!

Yet every time I've seen an attempt at offering alternatives to a regulated industry, it's never turned out well (in the long run). The PSC is there for a reason, and it would be interesting to see how an alternative energy providor fits into the PSC model.