Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Upfared itinerary On Hold (with cleared SWUs / eVIPs) gets downfared upon purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upfared itinerary On Hold (with cleared SWUs / eVIPs) gets downfared upon purchase

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, DL Gold

So I did a search and didn't find anything similar to this, though i'm probably using the wrong terms, so please forgive me if there is another thread.

My situation, I had 2 tickets on hold to the UK in O, called to upgrade fare to N class and then apply EVIP's for the upgradeable portions to C class. (there is a regional jet flight in there as well, which is obviously not upgradable)
Everything went fine, overall cost went up due to the fare class and UK luxury tax, but not unreasonably so, upgrades cleared and the PNR was put back on hold with assigned seats.

Then, I went to purchase it this am, was downgraded back to O class for everything and lost my seat assignments during the purchase stage. I had already entered my credit card information and hit purchase, and the end result was two purchased tickets in O class, and a slightly cheaper price.

Called back up, was told I couldn't upgrade from O (duh) tried to explain I had done so yesterday by going to N etc. etc. Was told that the PNR clearly showed O, but we could go through the process again. Went up to N, cleared to C, (lost the exit row on the ERJ but whatever) but now the price is ~$100 more per person.

The agent, while cheerful and helpful made it clear she didn't get involved with the web and went so far as to say she didn't know what buttons I had pressed to cause the problem (sheesh, I would have thought pressing purchase was pretty self explanatory) so I just paid the difference.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I suspect that something in the AA web process didn't like what had been done to the PNR yesterday, no application of the UK luxury tax perhaps?

--------------------------------------------

For some advice on how to handle upfare/downfare problems with Itineraries ON HOLD, see Madison Guy's post here and my post here.

dstan

Last edited by dstan; Jul 15, 2009 at 8:52 pm Reason: updated title for searchability, addendum with links to key posts
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Originally Posted by dazza189
So I did a search and didn't find anything similar to this, though i'm probably using the wrong terms, so please forgive me if there is another thread.

My situation, I had 2 tickets on hold to the UK in O, called to upgrade fare to N class and then apply EVIP's for the upgradeable portions to C class. (there is a regional jet flight in there as well, which is obviously not upgradable)
Everything went fine, overall cost went up due to the fare class and UK luxury tax, but not unreasonably so, upgrades cleared and the PNR was put back on hold with assigned seats.

Then, I went to purchase it this am, was downgraded back to O class for everything and lost my seat assignments during the purchase stage. I had already entered my credit card information and hit purchase, and the end result was two purchased tickets in O class, and a slightly cheaper price.

Called back up, was told I couldn't upgrade from O (duh) tried to explain I had done so yesterday by going to N etc. etc. Was told that the PNR clearly showed O, but we could go through the process again. Went up to N, cleared to C, (lost the exit row on the ERJ but whatever) but now the price is ~$100 more per person.

The agent, while cheerful and helpful made it clear she didn't get involved with the web and went so far as to say she didn't know what buttons I had pressed to cause the problem (sheesh, I would have thought pressing purchase was pretty self explanatory) so I just paid the difference.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I suspect that something in the AA web process didn't like what had been done to the PNR yesterday, no application of the UK luxury tax perhaps?
The sabre system will cancel a duplicate reservation in the system, whether it's purchased or not. Additionaly, you cannot use an EVIP unless the tkt is actually purchased. The system recognizes these things. I'd suggest you call the EP desk if you want to do something like this in the future.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
The sabre system will cancel a duplicate reservation in the system, whether it's purchased or not. Additionaly, you cannot use an EVIP unless the tkt is actually purchased. The system recognizes these things. I'd suggest you call the EP desk if you want to do something like this in the future.
To be clear it wasn't a duplicate reservation, it was one, it stayed the same PNR throughout.

I did phone the EP desk, they upfared me to N and then upgraded me to C (by applying the EVIPs), and then placed the PNR back on hold. (So I could verify with the wife)

So clearly it was not ticketed and apparently the EVIP had been applied as I was in C. I even picked our business class seats in the held reservation on the web.

However when I went back to purchase the same PNR, it downgraded me to O during the purchase.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
Additionaly, you cannot use an EVIP unless the tkt is actually purchased.
You are wrong on this one. You can absolutely apply an EVIP to a reservation still on hold, and purchase it later (within the hold time).
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The mistake was involving the EXP desk and not involving AA Web Services from the get-go.

I've read conflicting reports here lately about whether upgrades can be applied to held tickets or whether they must be purchsed, but that doesn't change the fact that you should have called Web Services to upgrade from O to N.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by dazza189
To be clear it wasn't a duplicate reservation, it was one, it stayed the same PNR throughout.

I did phone the EP desk, they upfared me to N and then upgraded me to C (by applying the EVIPs), and then placed the PNR back on hold. (So I could verify with the wife)

So clearly it was not ticketed and apparently the EVIP had been applied as I was in C. I even picked our business class seats in the held reservation on the web.

However when I went back to purchase the same PNR, it downgraded me to O during the purchase.
That's what the folks at AA web services call a WAD, ie working as designed. One cannot purchase an upgraded itinerary on AA.com as the site will auto rebook into the lowest fare and reprice.
As an EXP using SWUs you can certainly hold the booking, but need to call back to the EXP desk to complete the transaction. Now ya know that.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA/BA
Originally Posted by edlin303
You are wrong on this one. You can absolutely apply an EVIP to a reservation still on hold, and purchase it later (within the hold time).
Have done this myself many times as well.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Ah… the joys of the new O and Q fares.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by edlin303
I just did this last week. Held the eVIP upgrade seats in a reservation and ticketed it later without any problem.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by pdog02
That's what the folks at AA web services call a WAD, ie working as designed. One cannot purchase an upgraded itinerary on AA.com as the site will auto rebook into the lowest fare and reprice.
As an EXP using SWUs you can certainly hold the booking, but need to call back to the EXP desk to complete the transaction. Now ya know that.
I do not believe the statement in bold is completely accurate. You can attach an eVIP to a held reservation without actually processing it. It holds the upgrade space in the reservation but online it still shows the originally booked class of service and allows you to purchase the reservation online. Once the reservation is purchased, obviously one has to call reservations to process the upgrade and select the seats in the upgraded cabin.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
I do this frequently and will have the phone agent take over and book the ticket for me right then and there - including the eVIP and the whole 9 yards. As EXP, you never pay booking fees on your own PNR so no harm having them do the whole thing for you.

I've noticed that me being in the record online while they are in the record causes some issues so I just leave it all to them. Drink a few more in J on the way over and back (and in the FL) to make up the difference - and chalk it up to experience.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Based on my experience, there is a LOT of correct, partly correct and downright wrong info here.
1. An SWU CAN be applied to a HELD res - even if others don't think so. The SWU is *NOT* pulled from the member until ticketed, but the class (generally 'C' for intl) IS decremented.
2. The held res DOES show "C" or "A" inventory - *NOT* the purchased fare class on AA.COM once the upgrade is applied (before purchase.)
3. Often the held ticket can *NOT* be purchased online - sometimes it can - it depends on how the agent stored the new info after applying the upgrade. I'm sure there is a reason - just have not located it yet.
4. IF AA.COM allows purchase of such an upgraded tkt - the purchase will compete at the econ level - but the tkt will have to be reissued after the SWU is actually pulled from the bank. Many times AA.COM cannot complete the purchase. When it has, I get a tkt showing the upgraded classes and the econ fare - and within 24 hours a reissued tkt showing certs pulled as an exchange tkt - with no iintervention on my part.
5. IF and only IF AA.COM has the purchase button showing, IF THERE IS ANY FARE CAHNGE SCREEN THAT POPS UP - STOP!!!! This is YOUR clue the lower inventory feature is active. ALWAYS SAFE TO TICKET A HELD SWU VIA AN AGENT.
** This post based on about 30 SWU upgraded flights over the past few years - ALWAYS initially held ECON in AA.COM - all INTL with domestic segments, ALL with SWU applied and RE-HELD and ALL purchased later, within the window - some on AA.COM and some (most) via agent.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdog02
OK, I like the TLA WAD, so I might just believe it.....
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ktakahashi
Drink a few more in J on the way over and back (and in the FL) to make up the difference - and chalk it up to experience.
I'd already planned to drink myself silly (being an EXP does indeed make you an alcoholic ) but good advice. I'll make sure to encourage the wife to "drink up"

Cheers.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Based on my experience, there is a LOT of correct, partly correct and downright wrong info here.
1. An SWU CAN be applied to a HELD res - even if others don't think so. The SWU is *NOT* pulled from the member until ticketed, but the class (generally 'C' for intl) IS decremented.
2. The held res DOES show "C" or "A" inventory - *NOT* the purchased fare class on AA.COM once the upgrade is applied (before purchase.)
3. Often the held ticket can *NOT* be purchased online - sometimes it can - it depends on how the agent stored the new info after applying the upgrade. I'm sure there is a reason - just have not located it yet.
4. IF AA.COM allows purchase of such an upgraded tkt - the purchase will compete at the econ level - but the tkt will have to be reissued after the SWU is actually pulled from the bank. Many times AA.COM cannot complete the purchase. When it has, I get a tkt showing the upgraded classes and the econ fare - and within 24 hours a reissued tkt showing certs pulled as an exchange tkt - with no iintervention on my part.
5. IF and only IF AA.COM has the purchase button showing, IF THERE IS ANY FARE CAHNGE SCREEN THAT POPS UP - STOP!!!! This is YOUR clue the lower inventory feature is active. ALWAYS SAFE TO TICKET A HELD SWU VIA AN AGENT.
This seems like the most complete information that accurately seems to cover this particular situation (Thanks Madison Guy and others). Perhaps we should add it to the FAQ, especially point 5 in bold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.