Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines and US Airways > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation)
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 15, 8:34 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Quote:
Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~[b]magic111
Older posts have been archived to this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-thread.html

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jun 10, 12, 2:19 am   #751
Suspended

DFW -> FRA mileSAAver nonstop award availability in Y on AA for 1 person in April 2013
April 2, 30

DFW -> FRA mileSAAver award availability in Y on AA/BA for 1 person in April 2013
April 2, 4, 7, 11, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

DFW -> FRA mileSAAver award availability in J on AA/BA for 1 person in April 2013
April 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29

DFW -> FRA mileSAAver award availability in F on AA/BA for 1 person in April 2013
April 2, 7, 9, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

SEA -> DFW mileSAAver award availability in Y on AA/AS for 1 person in April 2013
April 15

SEA -> DFW mileSAAver award availability in J/F on AA/AS for 1 person in April 2013
April 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jun 10, 12 at 2:36 am.
Old Jun 10, 12, 5:10 am   #752

Programs: AA LT PLT 2 .75 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
DFW -> FRA mileSAAver nonstop award availability in Y on AA for 1 person in April 2013
April 2, 30

DFW -> FRA mileSAAver award availability in Y on AA/BA for 1 person in April 2013
April 2, 4, 7, 11, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

DFW -> FRA mileSAAver award availability in J on AA/BA for 1 person in April 2013

DFW -> FRA mileSAAver award availability in F on AA/BA for 1 person in April 2013

SEA -> DFW mileSAAver award availability in Y on AA/AS for 1 person in April 2013
April 15

SEA -> DFW mileSAAver award availability in J/F on AA/AS for 1 person in April 2013
April 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
How does this compare for availability for 2 people (especially In premium international cabins on AA metal)?
For example, on DFW - FRA, I see 0 J's and a single Y sAAver for the entire April 2013 - a far cry from the numbers you posted for that route (for 1 person and including BA)
It is widely acknowledged and accepted here that BA award availability is there (though shunned by most). Also AA metal for 1 person can be found; what is lacking, when compared to the previous years, is AA metal availability for long haul premium saaver awards for more that 1 person.

Last edited by Paulchili; Jun 10, 12 at 6:05 am.
Old Jun 10, 12, 7:44 am   #753

Programs: AA LT Gold
What's the point?

Quote:
April 2, 30

April 15

My post dealt with current availability of saver awards not being available as in the past for SEA to FRA. The above is not helpful unless you are suggesting one could get SEA to FRA by calling. I was already aware of the above SEA to DFW and DFW to FRA and SEA to ORD and ORD to FRA. My disappointment is the current lack of SEA to FRA saverawards.
Old Jun 10, 12, 1:16 pm   #754
Suspended

Call AA to see if you can book SEA - FRA by segment. Might or might not work.

Paulchili, please do your own research and make your own points. I'm not your advocate or lawyer. OK?
Old Jun 10, 12, 1:29 pm   #755
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattEarp View Post
I think there is a deluge of anectodal evidence here that strongly suggests 2012 will be a terrible year for AAdvantage members.
I think it depends, though, on what kind of AAdvantage member you are. Not all AAdvantage members are even trying to outright redeem miles on AA flights this year. (Though, of course, that is what this specific thread is about.)

AAdvantage members who want to redeem on partner airlines are not necessarily finding the same thing. It depends in that case on the partner, not on AA. And most of the parnters are not in bankrupcy. So AAdvantage members who try to upgrade on partners may have a quite different view of AA than AAdvantage members who only try to redeem on AA itself.

AAdvantage members who want to upgrade (with 500-mile upgrades, mlies upgrades, or SWU aka eVIP upgrades) are in entirely different boat. It could well be that if premium cabin seats are going unsold without being available for miles redemption, they become more available for upgrades. Since people who upgrades actually paid money for some kind of seat already, keeping them happy (so that they'll very soon buy more paid seats) by upgrading them is in AA's short-term intereest, even as giving away award seats may not be. So AAdvantage members who try to upgrade may have a quite different view of AA than AAdvatnage members who tro do outright award redemptions (on AA).

It's thus not clear to me that you can take one issue (outright redemption on AA metal) that is causing problems for some AAdvantage members and extrapolate that to all AAdvantage members souring on AA because of this.
Old Jun 10, 12, 10:31 pm   #756

Programs: AA LT Gold
calling would not work

Quote:
Call AA to see if you can book SEA - FRA by segment. Might or might not work.
Actually, I am looking for saver Y, so nothing really works on AA metal even if SEA DFW and DFW FRA availability were combined into one award. Glad I had no trouble booking Oct flight last Nov.
Old Jun 11, 12, 9:09 am   #757

Programs: AA since 1988 (lost status); DL nobody; bailed on UA in the 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkh29 View Post
My post dealt with current availability of saver awards not being available as in the past for SEA to FRA. The above is not helpful unless you are suggesting one could get SEA to FRA by calling. I was already aware of the above SEA to DFW and DFW to FRA and SEA to ORD and ORD to FRA. My disappointment is the current lack of SEA to FRA saverawards.
If you don't mind me adding, the availability posted in response to your issue was for ONE person, not two and many people have been having problems getting two awards. (Not to mention one of the "answers" to your post was Y awards on April 2 and 30 for one leg and 15 April for the other... huh?!?!)

On the other hand, I'm going to back you up to say that my problem also - looking only for ONE seat - has not ever been the int'l portion of the flight, but the domestic portion. If you have trouble from SEA to FRA, it's exactly like my issue. I could get BOS-LHR but wanted SFO-BOS with it and that was almost impossible. I had a June or July option for int'l and after months I settled on the 2nd leg happening in December.

In fact currently there are no Saavers at all in July for one seat on my route, no Saavers in August, but suddenly Sept has a lot more availability than it used to. I got lucky checking every day and back in May one seat finally opened when I could go (BOS>ORD>LAX>SFO!!!). But I have kept checking (out of interest and due to this thread), and from January thru May the availability was so slim it was simply laughable. Now they seem to have dumped in a bunch of September seats. [shrug]

Last edited by bostonoski; Jun 11, 12 at 9:16 am. Reason: clarification
Old Jun 11, 12, 1:57 pm   #758
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonoski View Post
Now they seem to have dumped in a bunch of September seats. [shrug]
Yeah, that's just wrong of AA to make a bunch of award seats available in September. Isn't there a law against dumping?
Old Jun 11, 12, 5:13 pm   #759

Quote:
Now they seem to have dumped in a bunch of September seats. [shrug]
Periodic dumping of inventory is a many years old tradition
Old Jun 13, 12, 1:43 am   #760

Programs: American, United
IMHO Bankruptcy Does Matter

Quote:
How does your post relate to your one-and-only previous one, here: ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

The similar subject matter was noted on Traveling Better, here: http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...&postcount=140
Yes, I am a new member/poster, but I don't think anything in my two posts contradict each other. After my first post which shared a concern about current award availability, I had a chance to follow some of the other members comments about the bankruptcy. I do not claim to have any experience with airline bankrupcties nor am I an AA insider, but rather was responding to Mountain Trader's posting based on my experience with two bankruptcy proceedings in two other industries. I hope I don't have to start every comment with IMHO.

I actually find Austinrunner's previous postings about quantitative stats publicly released by AA to be very enlightening. When the 2012 Aadvantage program is discussed publicly by AA in 2013, we will be able to see if quant stats will be offered.

Hopefully, AA will open up more International award seats as the year progresses and they see the light at the end of the BK.
Old Jun 13, 12, 7:39 am   #761

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Quote:
In fact currently there are no Saavers at all in July for one seat on my route, no Saavers in August, but suddenly Sept has a lot more availability than it used to.
Makes sense - paying fares will have decreased in Sept since summer vacation travel is effectively over.
The more I read, the more depressed I get, since I'll be looking for 5 intl business next summer (while avoiding BA's fees) and it seems like a huge long shot.
Old Jun 17, 12, 8:34 pm   #762

PHX to FLL January 24th return Feb 2, 2013

Looking to book two tickets. Trying to get economy Milesaaver. I am flexible on the outbound by a day or two and also I can return on the 3rd. I'm looking for non stop but will do one stop preferably ohare or fort worth. Nothing is available now what are my chances and when should more options open up.

Thx
Old Jun 17, 12, 8:40 pm   #763

Just ended up booking F from DFW-LHR for 3 people on BA. The YQ was $347, which is fine with me. Two of the people I travel with are very obese and J or F is our only option...and getting three seats on an AA Saaver award is near impossible (we don't have flexibility).

It's still cheaper than buying an econ ticket (even moreso for the one companion who would need 2 tix).

The only way I could get AA to pop up was to limit it to 1 person and that just wasn't going to work for our plans.
Old Jun 17, 12, 8:51 pm   #764
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
Just ended up booking F from DFW-LHR for 3 people on BA. The YQ was $347....
Are you sure? Been ticketed yet? The YQ should be $427 per person, one way.
Old Jun 17, 12, 8:51 pm   #765

Programs: AA LT PLT 2 .75 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
Just ended up booking F from DFW-LHR for 3 people on BA. The YQ was $347, which is fine with me. Two of the people I travel with are very obese and J or F is our only option...and getting three seats on an AA Saaver award is near impossible (we don't have flexibility).

It's still cheaper than buying an econ ticket (even moreso for the one companion who would need 2 tix).

The only way I could get AA to pop up was to limit it to 1 person and that just wasn't going to work for our plans.
Your experience mirrors mine - one saaver award is often possible; 2 or more next to impossible these days.
Of course, there is always the BA option - plenty of availability there.

Closed Thread