Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.

Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:59 am

Programs: 1MM, AA Plat, IC Gold Ambassador, HHonors, etc.
I've posted before that I have traveled the world with my show dogs both under the plane and in carriers under the seat.

I met my first emotional support dog a few years ago. One was a yellow lab owned by someone who had lost their parents in a horrible accident and this dog just kept her together. Another was an Irish Setter owned by a Lyme's patient. This dog could sense when the owner was weak in the knees and would prop itself against the person so they wouldn't fall. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed the type of support that they give. It is truly amazing and a blessing. Another friend has a Newfie as an emotional support animal. I'm not sure how an airline would handle that. Other than the drool, the dog is one big moosh.

With that in mind, there are many pax who see an animal and immediately go into a hissy fit. I have paid the insane fees to fly my show dogs. After traveling using a sherpa bag for years, I had to switch to a Tutto Pet On Wheels because it looks just like carry on luggage. Since switching to the Tutto, there hasn't been ONE complaint or comment from anyone about a dog in the cabin. My dogs sleep the entire way and don't say boo. With the Tutto, you can't even see them turn around as you can with a sherpa bag.

I gave up my FC seat assignment last month on a DFW-LGA flight to a man with a dog in a sherpa because he was assigned the bulkhead seat. No one would switch with him, so I did since no one else cared to be "nice".

And for the uninformed, there are over 1500 dog shows in the US every year. With the exception of the week before Christmas, there's a dog show somewhere in the US. And for those of us who have small enough dogs to fit in the cabin is because of the abuse and trouble that the baggage handlers can inflict on some very well behaved, innocent dog. It has gotten to the point where, if the dog has to travel under the plane, that we do everything but put a padlock on the crate so the door can't open. The stories are common and uncalled for.

I have great respect for people with allergies. They should know ahead of time that airlines allow two dogs per cabin as a general rule and should be prepared. And, yes, I'd rather sit next next to an animal rather than a screaming kid with a filled diaper and an uncaring parent or the liquored up pax who smells of scotch or the guy who spits his chaw into an empty glass or soda can and then leaves it in the seatback.

Just a counterpoint and a little extra information for the uninformed. Emotional Support Animals DO exist and they serve a purpose.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 2:10 am

Op need to ride on a private jet. Problem solved!
Old Nov 21, 2008, 2:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travelwithpet
^^^^^^^
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by AAir_head
... you won't know it's a therapy dog because she's very small and usually crated--not much inconvenience to anyone, really.
If she's keeping it contained in a carrier, I don't think anyone would have any problem with that. She can put the carrier on her lap and reach in to pet it (except during take-off and landing), and we are still happy.

It's roaming the cabin, rubbing up against other pax and spreading it's dander around, and urinating and defecating on the carpeting that people have (IMHO) a legitimate problem with.

Steve
Old Nov 21, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Deleted-not worth the time.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Nov 21, 2008 at 6:18 am Reason: Thought better of it
Old Nov 21, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Based on the different kind of rants I read in this forum, a lot of people should be better off flying private jets !

I can understand a child needing an emotional support dog. But an adult? Can these people relate and interact with other human beings for support? I am not discounting the use of service dogs here. That's a different story.

--J
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jcf27
Based on the different kind of rants I read in this forum, a lot of people should be better off flying private jets !

I can understand a child needing an emotional support dog. But an adult? Can these people relate and interact with other human beings for support? I am not discounting the use of service dogs here. That's a different story.

--J
Did you by perchance happen to read post # 106 or are you still confused?

mike
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Perhaps if people with a mental health-related disability would all agree to wear large large Star symbols on their garments , we could easily identify them, and show some compassion.

OP , your star is in the mail.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife
Perhaps if people with a mental health-related disability would all agree to wear large large Star symbols on their garments , we could easily identify them, and show some compassion.

If I had an emotional support dog, I'd just wear sunglasses and pretend to be blind. That might help keep the whiners at bay.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by steve32
...planeloads of pax who will have to put up with dog hair, dander, urine and feces (smell as well as associated potential germs) on the upholstry, carpeting, etc.
Originally Posted by steve32
It's roaming the cabin, rubbing up against other pax and spreading it's dander around, and urinating and defecating on the carpeting that people have (IMHO) a legitimate problem with.
You seem to be the only one claiming dogs have been roaming the cabin, relieving themselves on the carpet. Did something occur of which we're not aware or are you simply exaggerating in an attempt to make your case against pets stronger?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by dayone
After 100 posts, we finally have our answer: Blame the animals.
My little brother used to try that; it never worked.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
My little brother used to try that; it never worked.

RUSTY! Get over here before............
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife

IHO-Based on many different posts, including a phone call from AA to OP (see Post 102), this a situation that is a combination of 2 totally self absorbed individuals taking full advantage (flaunting) the Americans with Disabilities Act to bring their dogs on board, and a (totally) unsympathetic FA who could just not be bothered to do even something. Result, OP, with severe allergies to animals, who did nothing wrong except show up, once again IMO, is the victim. The 2 passengers and the FA appear to be villians in this piece.

No comment on the star.

Have a nice weekend.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
You seem to be the only one claiming dogs have been roaming the cabin, relieving themselves on the carpet. Did something occur of which we're not aware or are you simply exaggerating in an attempt to make your case against pets stronger?
I was referring to the dog that had pictures posted about it's urinating and defecating in the cabin.

There was an FA there, but not the owner. If the owner does not need to be accompanied by the dog at all times, then it can go into a travel container (still in the passenger cabin) with it's food and sanitary needs provided for in there. That would in fact keep the animal closer to the owner than was the case.

Steve
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
IHO-Based on many different posts, including a phone call from AA to OP (see Post 102), this a situation that is a combination of 2 totally self absorbed individuals taking full advantage (flaunting) the Americans with Disabilities Act to bring their dogs on board, and a (totally) unsympathetic FA who could just not be bothered to do even something. Result, OP, with severe allergies to animals, who did nothing wrong except show up, once again IMO, is the victim. The 2 passengers and the FA appear to be villians in this piece.
Thank you, Dallas49er. At least someone was actually able to read what I said as opposed to assume I hate dogs and people with disabilities.

I finally spoke to the very kind woman who called from the AA Executive Office, and she apologized for the whole situation. She explained that AA has no choice but to allow the animals on board if the people have a letter from an MD, which these people did. However, she said that, while they can't control whether or not these people could fly with the animals, AA staff can make adjustments and accomodations when it comes to seating. She apologized again that the FA live up to the standards AA hopes for and she offered me 5k miles for the situation. I thanked her and told her I understand AA's predicament. She said that the FA would be spoken to about the incident.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.