Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.

Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:08 pm

Not sure about the AA Policy item...but I can comment on on the emotional support animals. Sounds like this does not apply to your fellow passengers on your flight.

Animals have been found to assist with emotional support with folks 'on the spectrum' (autism) and for cancer patients at stage 3 or higher. Also, it has been noted that young burn victims have shown more emotional stability in the presence of dogs.

Again...not relevant to your fellow passengers most likely.

cheers...
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
Not sure about the AA Policy item...but I can comment on on the emotional support animals. Sounds like this does not apply to your fellow passengers on your flight.

Animals have been found to assist with emotional support with folks 'on the spectrum' (autism) and for cancer patients at stage 3 or higher. Also, it has been noted that young burn victims have shown more emotional stability in the presence of dogs.

Again...not relevant to your fellow passengers most likely.

cheers...
I amend my previous attitude from "IMHO this is load of stinking BS" to: IMHO this is a load of BS a great deal of the time but not always.

Thank you Goin-2-AA for reminding me that animals can often do amazing things in a healthcare setting.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by thechosenuno
They appeared to be show dogs that this couple was masquerading as "emotional support animals."
Aren't you just guessing here?

There's a difference between 'service' dogs and 'therapy' dogs. Therapy dogs don't have the same rights under the ADA as service dogs, and people don't have to be blind to have a service dog...in addition, the dogs could have been 'in training' for service:
  • Guide Dog
  • Mobility Dog
  • Hearing Alert Dog
  • Seizure Alert Dog/Seizure Response Dog
  • Medical Alert Dog/Medical Response Dog
  • Autism Service Dog
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cheepneezy
Aren't you just guessing here?
[/LIST]
It's a guess, but it's a REALLY educated one based on visual observations and listening to these people talk about the animals during take-off, dinner, and landing.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:48 pm

Here is an interesting (and relevant) article my Property professor passed out:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...prod=permalink

I didn't know it had spread to airlines though...
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Remember a few years ago about the pig who was an emotional support animal?

Just because you may think it's a load of B.S., like others have said, there are dogs that can detect seizures before they happen. A few months ago I had a lady who appeared just fine. She looked normal, she talked normal, she ate everything on her plate like anyone else.

I inquired about her female Doberman at her feet and she then informed me that her dog was an Emotional Support Animal that detects her seizures. These animals are not listed on the FAs paperwork, which I really don't like because of instances such as the OPs.

I have written it up so many times that we need documentation for these animals incase they are to sit next to someone who is highly allergic. I did have one pax who was seated near a dog on a transcon. Fortunately, we found another seat for him and he was happy we has far from the animal.

I love animals, but we have people out there who don't pay the Animal fee and bring their pets onboard anyway...without thinking of those with possible allergies.

Sorry to hear about the rudeness of the FA in your case!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brp
I still haven't seen any (and I don't have any) suggestions as to how this could have been handled, aside from losing the 'tude.
I agree that the stated 'tude needs to be lost.

I've sat next to two service animals so I can offer a suggestion. Let sleeping service animals lie. After getting over my petty inconvenience, the animals made for interesting flights. The more memorable included a dog looking out the window as the owner slept.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
I love animals, but we have people out there who don't pay the Animal fee and bring their pets onboard anyway...without thinking of those with possible allergies.
Again, not to condone anyone who abuses AA's policies, but if they had paid a pet fee, that would not have made OP's allergic reaction any different.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by thechosenuno
I wrote AA customer service, and they said that it sounds like these were either emotional support animals or seeing eye dogs. Given that these two people were reading American Way during the flight, the dogs couldn't have been seeing eye dogs. They appeared to be show dogs that this couple was masquerading as "emotional support animals." What kind of crock of b*** s*** is the concept of an emotional support animal!? Mandated by the government, no less. The FAA (or whatever federal agency came up with that mandate) needs to take its head out of its a** and focus on more important things!

Passengers traveling with emptional support animals are required to provide written documentation to the carrier from a licensed mental health professional, so if they have that documentation then the airline has little choice but to accept them and accomodate them.

"Emotional Support animals are service animals shown to have the innate ability to assist a person with a disability in flight requiring emotional support. "

I assume that a mental health professional provided the relevant paperwork in this case and the animlas were accomodated as such.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:35 pm
chj

Programs: BA, UA, DL
Speaking as someone who holds a variety of prescriptions entirely for the purpose of controlling sleep patterns for more effective work and travel, the objectivity of 'mental health' is somewhat less than that of other medical disciplines.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been thinking of getting an emotional support horse. Anyone out there allergic to miniature horses?

http://www.guidehorse.org/news_emot_supt.htm

http://www.guidehorse.org/news_airli...rt_animals.htm

FAA Guidance on Service Animals (including emotional support animals):

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/20030509.pdf

As others have pointed out, the OP's allergic reaction would have been just as severe had the owners been blind. Against that, why all the ranting and raving?

From the FAA guidance:

What if an Airline Employee or Another Passenger on Board Is Allergic or Has an Adverse Reaction to a Passenger’s Service Animal?

Passengers who state they have allergies or other animal aversions should be located as far away from the service animal as practicable.
Sounds like that's what the FA suggested to the OP. Perhaps they could have said it less abruptly, but as usual, we're only getting one side of the story.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by swag
Again, not to condone anyone who abuses AA's policies, but if they had paid a pet fee, that would not have made OP's allergic reaction any different.
No it wouldn't, but at least we would know that there was an animal on board, or even if the person who had allergies checked in, asked if there was an animal onboard to be sure not to be seated near the animal.....could create less trouble onboard.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
No it wouldn't, but at least we would know that there was an animal on board, or even if the person who had allergies checked in, asked if there was an animal onboard to be sure not to be seated near the animal.....could create less trouble onboard.
That is the actually the fault of the GA or Ticket counter staff, they are supposed to put comments in the specials list that shows on the bottom of the ALL list that you get . A comment such as "tvl with emotional support animal" should appear on the paperwork.

The reason they set it up that way is ,if they put the PETC edit in it prevents assigning the bulkhead seats.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I will take my dog with me into the next conference as well because I'm not able to perform my job without him

Seriously folks, this is utter BS. While a blind person has no other choice than a "seeing eye dog" in my opinion the description "emotional support animals" are a step too far ! Wth is wrong with this country ??

The problem for the OP is: Many Airlines allow animals in the cabin as long as their measurements are reasonable and their cage (for cats etc) is a comfortable size for the animal. I once had a cat with me on a LH flight. No issue for me but I see the point.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an emotional support wife. Can she fly free and sit on my lap?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.