Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 250,000 AA miles considered a lot????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by maddjake
Brilliant question. That's EXACTLY the issue that's often missed when people ponder the riddle of "how much are miles worth?"

The worth of your miles is determined by your willingness to pay -- in cash -- for the services redeemed with those miles. Not the actual price of those services as charged by the airlines.
this is so true, tired so seeing FTers who normally would not pay for C seats gloat of the value of the savings they have when booking premium awards.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by discoboy
I have to use the miles to purchase 4 tickets at a time for the family so I was thinking of doing 4 rt on Alaska to Vancouver from SFO for the olympics and then 4 rt. to Hawaii.
Would that be a good value for the miles?
What is the required miles to travel to London in coach?
D.
See the chart at http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...p#travelawards

There are offpeak Y awards to Europe at 40k per...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
To the OP's original question - I was once in the FRA AC, and the gentleman using the computer at the next desk had his current AAdvantage balance of 13,000,000 miles showing on the screen
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Brilliant question. That's EXACTLY the issue that's often missed when people ponder the riddle of "how much are miles worth?"

The worth of your miles is determined by your willingness to pay -- in cash -- for the services redeemed with those miles. Not the actual price of those services as charged by the airlines.
Indeed. I myself have 250k+ miles banked. I plan on using them for Y tickets for my gf and myself. I'm sure many here would say that's a bad use of miles, and I agree to an extent. But I would rather take a trip to Hawaii, a trip to Europe, and a trip to Asia on those miles rather than take one F trip somewhere. They're worth more to me to go more places rather than taking one trip in F. The only way I'd use them for a premium class trip is on a Oneworld award.

I wouldn't be purchasing F or even J anyway, so I'm not really saving that money as I wouldn't be spending it. I'm blissfully unaware of what I'm missing out on.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
To the OP's original question - I was once in the FRA AC, and the gentleman using the computer at the next desk had his current AAdvantage balance of 13,000,000 miles showing on the screen
Didn't the investment banker on the CNBC documentary have something like 31,000,000 miles.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
wow did he live in a plane?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
wow did he live in a plane?
Essentially, yes. I don't recall the exact details but it seems like he flies ORD-LHR in paid F twice a week or something insane.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Essentially, yes. I don't recall the exact details but it seems like he flies ORD-LHR in paid F twice a week or something insane.

I thought it was LAX-JFK....
Old Oct 26, 2008, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I thought it was LAX-JFK....
There's a thread about him somewhere but I can't find it.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
this is so true, tired so seeing FTers who normally would not pay for C seats gloat of the value of the savings they have when booking premium awards.
Don't hold your breath on getting through on this very valid point- like banging your head against a wall.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AP, QF, Marriott Silver
I have enjoyed this thread and the discussion that the op created. Thanks.
I have about 230,000 miles since joining AAAdvantage in April from a combination of travel on CX to Asia on business and using an AA affinity visa.

I will continue to be traveling to Asia for the next couple of years so my plan is to use the points for my wife to be able to accompany me on some trips. The 230K will take care of one or two trips depending on the intra Asia travel involved. But I will need to continue to accumulate points at about the same rate to "fund" future trips, which is part of the deal with my wife that allowed me to take the job . So for me 250K is not a lot.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Indeed. I myself have 250k+ miles banked. I plan on using them for Y tickets for my gf and myself. I'm sure many here would say that's a bad use of miles, and I agree to an extent. But I would rather take a trip to Hawaii, a trip to Europe, and a trip to Asia on those miles rather than take one F trip somewhere. They're worth more to me to go more places rather than taking one trip in F. The only way I'd use them for a premium class trip is on a Oneworld award.

I wouldn't be purchasing F or even J anyway, so I'm not really saving that money as I wouldn't be spending it. I'm blissfully unaware of what I'm missing out on.
To each his own, and I undertand that perspective. I don't bother doing long hauls myself if I'm not in the very least J. Just not worth the pain to me. Getting there is half the fun, or at the very least being not being a wreck from a an 8 hour-15 hour flight in econmy.

If I don't have the money or miles, I stay home. But, I'm fortute to have a bit of both, so I can usually go where where I want.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Don't hold your breath on getting through on this very valid point- like banging your head against a wall.
Wall? It's more like banging your head against the Himalayas...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:28 am

i think its kind of a lot. If you don't have use for them let me know and i'll purchase some off of you.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP

Actually, I think it's the opposite. The value of miles is that I can do things I wouldn't otherwise be able or willing to do, like fly F to Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.