Wiki Posts
Search

Help in planning for RTW Trip in July

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold, Amex Plat
Post Help in planning for RTW Trip in July

I am planning a trip to China (PEK) with my mother and sister. I have enough miles for all 3 of us to travel Business class (even though I might decide to sit coach).

Now for the dates that I have, from MIA, the award charts on AA shows that in the lowest available business class I can book 3 seats for 122.5K miles each.

Since I will be spending that many miles anyways, I was thinking that I might as well transform it to a RTW trip spending 150K for 25K miles traveled.

Now what itineray would you guys suggest?

Once ready, how do I actually book such trip? Can I do it online or do I have to call AA?

How likely it is that I can book all three of us in business using RTW award fares?

Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Since this is specific to using AA miles you should ask a moderator to move your question to the AA forum. They will be able to assist you much better than the more general oneworld forum.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:53 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'll move this to AA.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:03 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
when you say RTW is using the one world award chart ?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sweet-kom
I am planning a trip to China (PEK) with my mother and sister. I have enough miles for all 3 of us to travel Business class (even though I might decide to sit coach).

Now for the dates that I have, from MIA, the award charts on AA shows that in the lowest available business class I can book 3 seats for 122.5K miles each.

Since I will be spending that many miles anyways, I was thinking that I might as well transform it to a RTW trip spending 150K for 25K miles traveled.

Once ready, how do I actually book such trip? Can I do it online or do I have to call AA?

How likely it is that I can book all three of us in business using RTW award fares?

Thanks a lot!
A MileSAAver RT between the U.S. and China is 110K miles; 122.5K miles would be one way in Business (55K miles), and one way in First (67.5K miles). Are you sure that Business Class was available in each direction?

As to booking a oneworld award instead, that is certainly possible, but you might have difficulty finding three Business Class award seats on the same TATL flight in July/August, if you decide to return via Europe. What parts of the world do you want to visit?

To book a oneworld award, you will need to call AA and include at least two oneworld partners on your itinerary. Avoid flights on BA unless you are willing to pay high fuel surcharges.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
To book a oneworld award, you will need to ... include at least two oneworld partners on your itinerary.
Two other than AA.

That's an impossibly vague question.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
I think the OP is going to have trouble finding 3 business seats on BA/JL/QF and CX this summer to make his one world award work and it will be much cheaper to just go to PEK.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Avoid flights on BA unless you are willing to pay high fuel surcharges.
Consider BA if you want TATL award availability. You have to pay a fuel surcharge, but chances are you can get the flight you want (or something very close to it).
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

Thanks a lot!
Depends on your exact dates, but it's getting pretty late to be trying to book award travel for this summer. I'd say count on it being fairly unlikely that you can easily get everyone on the same flights in business on a RTW award at this point.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Call the Around the World Desk. 800-247-3247
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by BulaRae
Call the Around the World Desk. 800-247-3247
No, the ATW desk only handles the Oneworld explorer, circle trip, visit Australia and New Zealand etc. They cannot book Oneworld awards, only PAID tickets.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:58 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber

For a OW150D you can fly 16 sectors and 25,000 miles.

So decide where you want or need to visit, then comes the hard part of finding 3 Business Class seats, so I would suggest that perhaps you defer the travel until Summer 2012 and start to look and book earlier.

It will also give you time to read through the numerous threads on this forum how the AAward works and the various complex rules. Also perhaps you could look at an SPG Amex card spending 15K with them getting the 25000 SPG Points and using them for the Great value SPG Points and Cash hotel rooms.

Getting the Best Value Travel is all about Forward Planing and Knowledge.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: 1MM UA

Now what itinerary would you guys suggest?
When you go around the world, everyplace is on the way.
I am guessing that you were asking about AA specific routings that
might work. But if you are asking for random tourism advice, I'll
just list my favorite 4 spots, for what its worth:

1. Taj Mahal, Agra India near Dehli
2. Angkor Wat, Siem Reap Cambodia, near Bangkok
3. Santorini Island Greece, near Athens
4. Valley of the Kings, Egypt, near Luxor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.