Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Flights Showing on AA.com Prior to Trip

BA Flights Showing on AA.com Prior to Trip

Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Question BA Flights Showing on AA.com Prior to Trip

I recall back in the pre-merger days that if I booked a flight on a Lufthansa operated and ticketed flight using my US DM#, the upcoming flight would show up on my USAirways.com profile page.

I have a World Traveler+ ticket that I just booked through my corporate travel desk. BA operated and ticketed. AA# in the BA booking. I'm wondering if this will show up too.

I'd like to cash in some AAdvantage miles to get a J upgrade but am getting the feeling that AA is not going to do it since i didnt buy the BA flight through them.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by dubstyle311
I recall back in the pre-merger days that if I booked a flight on a Lufthansa operated and ticketed flight using my US DM#, the upcoming flight would show up on my USAirways.com profile page.

I have a World Traveler+ ticket that I just booked through my corporate travel desk. BA operated and ticketed. AA# in the BA booking. I'm wondering if this will show up too.

I'd like to cash in some AAdvantage miles to get a J upgrade but am getting the feeling that AA is not going to do it since i didnt buy the BA flight through them.

Thoughts?
You can upgrade from WT+ to CW on BA, regardless of whether you bought it through AA or BA, but you have to be flying in the highest fare bucket (W, in this case).

Last edited by Djokison; Jul 13, 2015 at 4:41 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by Djokison
You can upgrade from WT+ to CW on BA, regardless of whether you bought it through AA or BA, but you have to be flying in the highest fare bucket (W, in this case).
Is there anyway to force the W bucket while booking online? Or would i just have to call
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by akelkar
Is there anyway to force the W bucket while booking online? Or would i just have to call
If you select Premium Economy and then Flexible on the BA site, you should be presented with W fares. You can verify that by clicking the flight number and it will say the fare class.

Note that you can't book premium economy at all via aa.com, so this only applies to BA.com.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks guys. I do have a BA W fare. Honestly I tried the AA Platinum line earlier and got perhaps the worst agent in my flying carrier. Eastern European accent. Very elderly. And nearly impossible to understand. Unusual since I've had nothing but great experiences before.

Also. Dear lord what has happened to the AAdvantage call in line. the robo operator is worse than ever and I'm getting a 45 min hold time even though I'm being recognized as platinum. Did a tornado take out Dallas or something?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Djokison
I thought AA required that tickets are purchased directly with AA if you want to upgrade BA/IB flights? I doubt that AA will want to re-issue a 125 ticket on its own stock.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-faqs.jsp
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
If you select Premium Economy and then Flexible on the BA site, you should be presented with W fares. You can verify that by clicking the flight number and it will say the fare class.

Note that you can't book premium economy at all via aa.com, so this only applies to BA.com.
Thanks! And turns out you can book WT+ via AA.com but holy crAAp it's expensive (I think now that they were all W fares and not showing the non-refundable ones)
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by akelkar
Thanks! And turns out you can book WT+ via AA.com but holy crAAp it's expensive (I think now that they were all W fares and not showing the non-refundable ones)
If you select all oneworld airlines in the search criteria, you will see other WT+ fare classes.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I thought AA required that tickets are purchased directly with AA if you want to upgrade BA/IB flights? I doubt that AA will want to re-issue a 125 ticket on its own stock.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-faqs.jsp
You're right, my mistake.

Last edited by Djokison; Jul 17, 2015 at 6:56 am
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I am going to London in the winter LAX-LHR and only have 1 SWU left and decided no matter what to fly Y out then upgrade back in J on AA. I was shocked that it was only $30 more on the total itinerary to fly WT+ on BA than Y (MCE on AA). I have heard all these horror stories on how much more WT+ costs - often more than CW.

I have the bulkhead WT+ seat and am now debating if I want to attempt to upgrade to CW. Is it worth 12.5k AA miles and is there a copay/fuel surcharge like regular awards?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by uscjeff
I have heard all these horror stories on how much more WT+ costs - often more than CW.

I have the bulkhead WT+ seat and am now debating if I want to attempt to upgrade to CW. Is it worth 12.5k AA miles and is there a copay/fuel surcharge like regular awards?
You can only upgrade a WT+ seat to CW if the WT+ seat is booked in the fare class "W"

The horror stories you hear about WT+ pricing is regarding these "W" fares which are substantially higher than the cheaper WT+ fares.

There would probably be some sort of UK imposed copay (I think I paid somewhere around $200 to upgrade a US Airways flight out of the UK once)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.