One segment short of next elite status

Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

One segment short of next elite status

Hi,
I am AAdvantage Gold member and have flown so far 59 segments and now just 1 segment short for the next elite status Platinum. Unfortunately, I don't foresee anymore travel for this year and my next travel starts only on the second of week Jan 2014.
I tried calling AA and was politely declined my request for a complimentary upgrade to next level.
AA however offers an option to purchase elite status for 600$, which I feel is a total rip-off.
My only other option is to purchase a low air-fare to any place, which I am willing to do as long as the airfare is within reasonable limits.

Any suggestions from experts out there who may have been in a situation like me.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

javid
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat / OW Sapphire / Hyatt Diamond / Hilton Diamond
Not sure how close you are on miles, but there are a few ways to get PQM by joining the club or something else. My advice if you just need 1 segment is to use the Kayak Explore map to find the cheapest 1 segment and do a quick mile run before the end of the year.

http://www.kayak.com/explore/

Not sure where you are based out of, but I'm almost sure you can find something to do cheaper than the $600 to buy up. Good luck!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold
It would be helpful to know what airport you're flying out of. Regardless, I'm sure 1 segment will be cheaper than $600.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
One segement short of next elite status

I would venture a guess that the OP will have to do 2 segments...figured he will want to get home as well...
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

I found a cheaper airfare (140$) from Chicago to Minneapolis and going to do a one day trip

Regards,
Javid
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
google.com/flights is another great way to search for these types of things
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Welcome to FT! You did the right thing. PLT status is well worth $140!

Don't feel bad, I did four trips like this to retain my EXP status this year. Unfortunately mine were further.

Originally Posted by jalimohideen
Thanks everyone for your suggestions

I found a cheaper airfare (140$) from Chicago to Minneapolis and going to do a one day trip

Regards,
Javid
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jalimohideen
Hi,
I am AAdvantage Gold member and have flown so far 59 segments and now just 1 segment short for the next elite status Platinum. Unfortunately, I don't foresee anymore travel for this year and my next travel starts only on the second of week Jan 2014.
I tried calling AA and was politely declined my request for a complimentary upgrade to next level.
AA however offers an option to purchase elite status for 600$, which I feel is a total rip-off.
My only other option is to purchase a low air-fare to any place, which I am willing to do as long as the airfare is within reasonable limits.

Any suggestions from experts out there who may have been in a situation like me.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

javid
I don't know why you would say it is a total ripoff. It is an offer that you are free to accept or reject. AA is under no obligation to even make such an offer. And FWIW, it is $699; not $600.

Want the status? Fly the miles.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC
I would venture a guess that the OP will have to do 2 segments...figured he will want to get home as well...
Depends on where the OP is. Could be cheaper to rent a car back, take the train, fly WN, etc?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by tdb27
Depends on where the OP is. Could be cheaper to rent a car back, take the train, fly WN, etc?
You can do something like ORD-MKE and just take the train back from the airport. Been there done that before.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
I was just under 3600 miles short this year. I did a weekend round trip to LAX, which is just over 3600 miles. I haven't seen the final numbers, but the cost vs. buying it up would have been just about a wash.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:32 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Probably not a clever question but I still don't know all the details of AAdvantage: I'm 241 EQM short of reaching my final elite rewards stage. I'd love to have the extra SWU's. Is there a way short of flying (I'm abroad until new years) to get EQM?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by c_d
Probably not a clever question but I still don't know all the details of AAdvantage: I'm 241 EQM short of reaching my final elite rewards stage. I'd love to have the extra SWU's. Is there a way short of flying (I'm abroad until new years) to get EQM?
Citi Executive AAdvantage credit card, but you need to hit a $40k spend threshold to get 10k EQM's. Otherwise, you need to fly.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by c_d
Plenty of ways to earn EQM while abroad. Not sure where you are, but hop on a oneworld carrier and you'll be fine (mind your fare classes, though...some earn, some only earn partially, and some don't earn at all).

Cheers,
Cameron

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.