Do any AA domestic planes have TV for each seat?

Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by hillrider
See http://news.delta.com/article_displa...ticle_id=10362 . DL began by investing in IFE with the Song retrofit (48 planes), as you pointed out, and then invested further in expanding IFE to all the fleet that does >4 hour domestic segments (100 planes) and upgrading it to on-demand.
Clearly DL reached a different ROI conclusion than did AA. Do we have any reason to believe that DL's investment is paying off in higher fares and/or increased loads? (I personally doubt it, but that's just a hunch and is not based on any data.)
Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by 777-DCA
The 777s have personal TVs in each seat, but don't know if AA is still running 777s domestically (they did MIA-LAX and DFW-MIA).
They had them when I flew DFW-ORD. FC was a sweet experience . I agree with a lot of posters and I prefer AA has more power ports than personal TV. As long as they have it on flights for people who don't bring IFE, I'm okay with it.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Yep, AA chose to invest in powerports which is a IMHO is a far better solution than IFE.

On the other hand, do you guys forsee AA upgrading those cigarette lighter powerports to normal AC electrical plugs ? I know some Asian carriers are installing them onto their Y seats complete with the universal type socket (those sockets that accept US three-prong, UK, Europlug, etc.). I was surprised on my recent SQ trip that I came all prepared with the cigarette DC power for my laptop when I realized that I didn't need one
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Yep, AA chose to invest in powerports which is a IMHO is a far better solution than IFE.

On the other hand, do you guys forsee AA upgrading those cigarette lighter powerports to normal AC electrical plugs ? I know some Asian carriers are installing them onto their Y seats complete with the universal type socket (those sockets that accept US three-prong, UK, Europlug, etc.). I was surprised on my recent SQ trip that I came all prepared with the cigarette DC power for my laptop when I realized that I didn't need one
If it was a normal AC plug powerport, I'd have no issue, but the DC plugs are a pain. I carry way to much stuff to also have to buy and carry an adapter/plug
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
We flew last year from JFK-LAX, LAX-KOA, & HNL-LGA through DFW and none of the planes had personal tv's. When I have flown on Delta they almost always have, so I was wondering if this has changed or will be changing anytime in the future. I am flying in August from JFK-LAX, LAX-OGG, & OGG-LGA through DFW. Any chance of them having personal tv's?

These are the flights:

1) Boeing 767-200 Passenger(762)
2) Boeing 757 Passenger(757)
3) Boeing 767-300 Passenger(763)
4) Boeing 737-800 Passenger(738)
AA is NOT B6. It is one of the many NO Service airlines.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by davidthomson
If it was a normal AC plug powerport, I'd have no issue, but the DC plugs are a pain. I carry way to much stuff to also have to buy and carry an adapter/plug
Virgin America has AC outlets.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:39 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by zman
AA is NOT B6. It is one of the many NO Service airlines.
B6 is one of those NO FIRST CLASS airlines.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:46 pm

That argument goes against: the bigger the fleet, the higher are volume economics and bargaining power leading to a lower cost/aircraft.
While a larger order of PTVs certainly has more bargaining power to drive the per unit cost down, the total cost of 665 PTVs would never be less than 141 or even 451 PTVs.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:48 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by bdemaria
On more than one occasion, people have assumed the "B" in my name stands for Blunt.
Well, now I feel silly. I thought it stood for Baudette!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuanners
While a larger order of PTVs certainly has more bargaining power to drive the per unit cost down, the total cost of 665 PTVs would never be less than 141 or even 451 PTVs.
And the total is relevant...why?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:05 pm

And the total is relevant...why?
By your logic, if total cost is irrelevant, then AA--with the largest passenger fleet size of any airline--has the most bargaining power when it comes to fleet improvements, due to volume economics.

That means that they can invest in aircraft renovations such as new upholstery, powerports and personal TVs at every seat, fully flat business class seats, and more cashews in the nut mix, as other airlines do.

So where are they?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuanners
By your logic, if total cost is irrelevant, then AA--with the largest passenger fleet size of any airline--has the most bargaining power when it comes to fleet improvements, due to volume economics.

That means that they can invest in aircraft renovations such as new upholstery, powerports and personal TVs at every seat, fully flat business class seats, and more cashews in the nut mix, as other airlines do.

So where are they?
Your guess is as good as mine (some point to having to fund pension plans since AA did not shed them through bankruptcy or maintaining one of the highest labor costs in the industry), but if you search google news for "airline consolidation" you will see that the tendency is to build bigger airlines to survive while the smaller ones close down (ATA, Skybus etc.) or struggle (AirTran). What's important is cost per unit of output, not the total cost!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
1)

3) Boeing 767-300 Passenger(763) Coach No; Biz/First Yes for SFO or LAX to JFK (passed out in flight by FAs), otherwise No
The 763 doesn't fly LAX-JFK. I think what you mean is SFO-JFK and LAX-MIA.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
I think AA should consider pay per view AVOD like LCC carriers Jet Star and Virgin Blue are doing in Australia. I must agree when flying long legs with AA as part of a rtw ticket it is annoying that there is no entertainment. I am not keen to take a laptop with me just for the AA legs.

AA is a good airline but they do tend to fall off the pace at times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.