Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Underseat Storage Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Underseat Storage Dimensions

What are the underseat storage dimensions of various AA aircraft? With the increase in passengers with carry-on baggage, I assume this space will be utilized more often, but the size of the area isn't available.

I assume this varies by aircraft type, and even by seat within a plane. (I would personally like to know about the M80, rows 25 and 27 on the DEF side) Thanks!
Old May 7, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

I don't know of any detailed data on underseat storage, but if you go to http://seatguru.com, it will give you warnings on the seats that have no storage (bulkheads) and those that have limited storage due to a box or other hardware protruding down from the seat.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
A not too fat computer bag may fit, while any traditional luggage like wheeled won't even get part way under. Then your feet go a straddle or on the seat like a monkey. If there is an AV box you have 1/2 of nothing vs. nothing.

767 in J is OK as your feet won't make it all the way to the seat in front of you.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
767 in J is OK as your feet won't make it all the way to the seat in front of you.
On a 767-200 (OGBC), yes. On a 763 (NGBC), you can only use the underseat storage if you don't plan to fold the seat flat. It seems that whenever I fly on a 763, I am wiped and just want to sleep, but recently I've been doing a lot of JFK-SFO on AA 85 when returning from Europe.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sshsearching
What are the underseat storage dimensions of various AA aircraft? ... I would personally like to know about the M80, rows 25 and 27 on the DEF side
What is the size of the bag/object you hope to stow?
Old May 7, 2008, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I have looked at SeatGuru, and in general, I won't have to worry about power boxes being underneath the row ahead of me in row 27, but I will in row 25. However, there are 3 different versions of the M80. SeatExpert doesn't say which rows have power ports and which don't. I'll keep looking.
Old May 7, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
What are the underseat storage dimensions of various AA aircraft?
I did a lot of searching for a bag that would fit under the seat of just about any AA plane and let me carry a laptop, digital still camera, and other goodies like a GPS, travel router, cables, extra lens, flash, extra batteries, iPod and earbuds, etc.

What I finally settled on was the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D550AW. It's a well-made bag and, IME, fits under the seats in the MD80, 757, 777, RJs and even the (ugh) Saab SF340. I haven't had any problems with it fitting on Airbus planes, either.

The bag is approximately 11 inches deep (I put it under the seat on its side, sometimes it's a little snug) by 11 inches high by 15 inches wide. The manufacturer actually lists the outside dimensions as 16.1W X 11D X 11.8H in.

Even if you get a different bag, those dimensions should work.

Last edited by videomaker; May 7, 2008 at 6:31 pm
Old May 7, 2008, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
SeatExpert doesn't say which rows have power ports and which don't. I'll keep looking.
SeatGuru does indicate which rows have power ports, but doesn't distinguish between the three versions. If you find yourself in a row without, ask one row ahead or behind - most times I find the ports unused. The power boxes are not big A/V boxes that consume 1/2 the typical space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.