LHR-STN turnaround possible on AA?

Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:20 am
Original Poster

LHR-STN turnaround possible on AA?

Is it PLAUSIBLE to fly into LHR from JFK and arrive at 6:30 AM and make it to STN for a 10:15 AM departure on a SUNDAY morning if private taxi is taken? Thanks all.......
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by RTW4
Is it PLAUSIBLE to fly into LHR from JFK and arrive at 6:30 AM and make it to STN for a 10:15 AM departure on a SUNDAY morning if private taxi is taken? Thanks all.......
i don't think it's doable. at the very least you need about 2-2.5 hours for the transfer only. then add time for customs/immigration at heathrow. security at stn. walking/waiting, etc.

everything would have to fall in place as planned. anything goes little awry and you are screwed.

btw, taxi, private car transfer will run you around 100bps or $200.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:30 am

It is possible, but you are really setting yourself up for a fall.

You'd be lucky to make STN before 9:00AM if everything goes to plan and there are a lot of things that can go wrong on that transfer. It is a long road trip (not to mention an expensive one). Is it not at all possible to get on an LHR-JFK flight instead?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:44 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
I would not dear it. STN is one of the airports where I arrive 2,5 hours before a flight to get in line first with Ryanair to proceed through security and get to the gate. I seldomly have more than ~30 min left once I arrive at the gate (and that is with things going smoothly.

Key factor is the lenght in security - STN is a major LCC hub so a lot of inexperienced people - plus I find security to be tighter aka more time consuming than everywhere else.

Remember that you need to check baggages and everthing also.
If you take up the cost and the stress, why not continue the flight from LHR if possible?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by RTW4
In all likelihood you won't make it. A 10:15 int'l flight will start boarding by about 9:30 and you won't be able to OLCI. To make matters worse, the 10:15 flight is the only AA flight from STN so when you miss it you'll be forced to return to LHR to catch an afternoon flight.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
In all likelihood you won't make it. A 10:15 int'l flight will start boarding by about 9:30 and you won't be able to OLCI. To make matters worse, the 10:15 flight is the only AA flight from STN so when you miss it you'll be forced to return to LHR to catch an afternoon flight.
Only for another 2 months though.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:33 am

It is 65 miles from Heathrow to Stansted. Good roads - freeway most of the way - and on a Sunday morning you could do it in 75mins.

To clear LHR and get in STN will take ????

It is possible - but chances are not good.

Incidentally getting a taxi for 100($200) for a 65 mile trip on a Sunday might be a big problem - I would think double that sum. New York cabbies have a lot to learn from their London cousins when it comes to ripping off passengers!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Robert5988
Incidentally getting a taxi for £100($200) for a 65 mile trip on a Sunday might be a big problem - I would think double that sum. New York cabbies have a lot to learn from their London cousins when it comes to ripping off passengers!
I don't feel ripped off by London taxi drivers; at least they know how to get to places and and do so in the most direct manner; it is irrelevent to the OPs point since he was talking about a pre-booked private car and ₤100 sounds like a reasonable figure for a LHR-STN run

I wouldn't be thinking that an early arrival into LHR with a departure ex STN is a wise risk, but not impossible; if all goes well, with no luggage could be in car by 7am and at STN by 8:30

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.