Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by alonna
Add in the double EQM after reaching Platinum, and that reaches 65,642 EQM.
What double EQM? Sadly the promo is over.

3. We won't be home anytime after starting this trip to get our Elite status packages in the mail. Do you think we can get by on the rest of the trip w/o the package, or do we need someone to mail the package to a location we'll be at?
How long is your trip? It can take weeks to get the package.

I understand it takes 2-3 days for the elite status to post. That means that any of our flights after that time (2-3 days after arriving in AMM), we should have a Platinum (or OW Sapphire) status printed on our boarding passes, be able to use the lounges, priority seating, etc - correct? (with the BA lounge exception noted)
Couple of key points, once PLT posts, you need to call AA to have the status attached to your AA flights. It is not automaticly going to happen.

I'm not sure what happens with the other airlines. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer that.

Also, try to access the BA lounges. I purposefully make them ask for the card. At least 1/2 the time they don't even bring it up. (I flew FRA, LHR, JNB) YMMV.

Last edited by Gamecock; Jan 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
2. According to Mileage Monkey, we should be flying 44,483 miles on the entire trip. Add in the double EQM after reaching Platinum, and that reaches 65,642 EQM. Does that mean that we'll earn a "regular" Platinum status outside of the challenge, therefore extending our membership from Feb 2011 to Feb 2012?
There is no "double EQM" after Platinum, only "double RDM" (miles redeemable for tickets).
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
There is no "double EQM" after Platinum, only "double RDM" (miles redeemable for tickets).
Oh, I didn't realize that. I probably got confused since people mentioned double EQM in regards to a promo. Okay, I guess to extend Platinum status for the extra year I need to add a couple flights in 2010.

Originally Posted by Gamecock
How long is your trip? It can take weeks to get the package.
The trip is 5 months. We'll get elite status in early-March, and won't be home until May.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some of our members have created spreadsheets. Rather than reinvent the wheel, you might take a look at these, with download links posted on FlyerTalk:

McFlyPHL updated his spreadsheet for tracking AAdvantage miles / EQP / status etc. to v. 1.9.

AAdvantage Miles Tracker v. 1.9 download link

The Original 1.3 version of McFlyPHL's AAdvantage Miles tracker is hosted here as well:

AAdvantage Miles Tracker v. 1.3 download link

brp's modified AAdvantage Miles Tracker v. 1.3, enhancements for EXPs, is too:

AAdvantage Miles Tracker v. 1.3 modified by brp download link

They would require minor modification for DBEQ offers and the like.

You can also use Mileage Monkey <link> or Great Circle Mapper <link> for close approximations of mileage earned.

Originally Posted by mccabedoug
<snip>

Also, perhaps you can direct me to a place where one can easily calculate EQM/EQP based upon simply entering the following:

Present Status at Time of Flight:
Airline:
Miles:
Cabin Class:
Booking Code:

I know that a lot of frequent travelers on this forum can almost do this in their heads, but I am not one of them.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:16 am

I probably got confused since people mentioned double EQM in regards to a promo.
AA had a Double EQM promo that just expired on 12/15. You only had to register and then got double EQM's for AA flight numbers on AA metal. They may or may not have something similar in 2010 - nobody can say for sure - but if they do, go for the EXP. BTW, welcome to FT!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
AA had a Double EQM promo that just expired on 12/15. You only had to register and then got double EQM's for AA flight numbers on AA metal. They may or may not have something similar in 2010 - nobody can say for sure - but if they do, go for the EXP. BTW, welcome to FT!
Hope AA continues to offer DEQM in 2010. Fingers crossed!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:28 am

The trip is 5 months. We'll get elite status in early-March, and won't be home until May.
They might not even mail your card until you are home.

Good luck on this! Looks like a great trip!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:23 am

Need Advice: Should I take the AA Challenge as a UA 1P

Happy New Year All,

As we kick off the year I'm struggling with a decision and wanted to get some expert opinions. I did a lot of travel last year, and got smart about it about halfway through, and ended up with UA 1P and US Silver. I have not received or used any of the UA benefits other than boarding early and the E+ seating. I'm trying to decide about whether I should try to get status on AA or just continue mainly with United.

Here are my details:

1 - I currently live in NYC. I like to fly from White Plains, but can get to LGA easily enough. I'll probably do 15-20 business trips over the year. About 75% of trips will be to Dallas, TX. AA has a direct flight from LGA which, if booked far enough in advance, is less expensive than UA flights through ORD.

2 - About halfway through the year, I'll be relocating to Boston. I may use BOS as a departure or a return city for open jaw flights during the first six months of the year.

3 - I recently signed up for the MileagePlus credit card and have been racking up miles there. We will likely book a couple of non-business flights on UA using that card during the year. We also have an AA citibank card that got us a number of miles over the years. See goals for miles below.

4 - As I fly standby often, and spend more time in airports needing to take a conference call or two between connections, I plan on joining RCC before the end of January, depending on the trips I plan to take in January.

5 - My wife, who I guess I can make a 3P, and I want to do some traveling together during the year as well, including a reward trip to Europe in September. She'd like to do this first class so awards and upgrade instruments will be important. I haven't learned enough about those yet (again, I'm new to status).

I have to book the least expensive flights when I travel for work so I imagine I might only be getting 50% of the miles credited as points against the challenge, but I haven't looked into that much just yet.

So, what does anyone think?

Regards,

Jason
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:53 am

I am a huge AApologist and love the PLT Challenge, it is how I first earned status with any airline, just over a year ago. The rest of my immediate family have all completed a challenge.

As a PLT I hit most of my requested upgrades, including a DFW-ORD flight on a Thursday afternoon. I was shocked because I thought it would have been full of DYKWIA EXP types. (Oh, wait, that's now me) It cleared at the last minute.

I remember not getting an upgrade at 1600ish on a DFW-SAN flight. If I had flown an hour later I think I would have gotten one.

The one thing to remember is that you have to use 500 mile upgrade "coupons" for your upgrades. All of my flights involve a TATL so I have plenty, otherwise you can buy them for $30 a pop.

There are no E+ seats on AA, but if you book more than a week or two out you should get an exit row.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alfista
I have to book the least expensive flights when I travel for work so I imagine I might only be getting 50% of the miles credited as points against the challenge, but I haven't looked into that much just yet.
This is the crux of the matter. It really prevents us from commenting intelligently on this question, because we don't know whether you would be able to fulfill the Platinum challenge, and if you did, whether you would be able to maintain Platinum status and how much benefit you would get out of that status for the year or so you would have it if you could not maintain it.

I guess my best guess would be that you should wait until you move to Boston. Continue flying US/US where possible, but keep track of instances where you could have chosen AA instead. After six months or so in Boston, you should have a good idea of what your flying could be on AA if you shoved as much as possible to AA, then you can make a better decision.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:37 am

You do need to concentrate your ff miles at either UA or AA. It may be best to wait till you know which one would suit you best.

If AA, I suggest taking the Platinum Challenge on/after June 16 (you almost get one extra year for that).

There are reports that if you mention your UA status, they may give you Gold status immediately while signing you up for Platinum Challenge.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:16 pm

Thanks all,

I am sure I would be able to meet the requirements of the challenge during the first 90 days, even if I had to do an extra transcon to make it happen.

I appreciate the point about waiting until mid-year to do the challenge to ensure I maximize the amount of time I have the status.

I guess, all things considered, I'm asking what airline am I most likely to want to use and appreciate the benefits of (upgrades, redemption of RDMs, etc.) while at similar status levels given my expected upcoming travel patterns.

Thanks again,

Jason
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:30 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by alfista
I guess, all things considered, I'm asking what airline am I most likely to want to use and appreciate the benefits of (upgrades, redemption of RDMs, etc.) while at similar status levels given my expected upcoming travel patterns.
LGA-DFW can be more difficult to clear sticker upgrades - as a PLT, I was 4/6 last year. For redemption of RDM for Award Upgrades, be aware that AA has some significant copays, esp internationally (see the FAQ for links to the AA webpages).

For comparisions of AA vs UA, there should be some other threads in the forum and if you can't find them using search (I just tried briefly), perhaps someone can direct you to them.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Couple of key points, once PLT posts, you need to call AA to have the status attached to your AA flights. It is not automatically going to happen.

I'm not sure what happens with the other airlines. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer that.
Anyone know the answer to this?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
I have a really quick question. I have read though all of this but i am a bit confused. I started the GOLD challenge as of Jan 1 of this year. I will easily complete the gold challenge and am considering upgrading it to a platinum challenge.

I am going to fly alot of smaller segments towards the end of my challenge window. My question is, once i get to 5000 EQM do i earn gold status right then? will my EQM minimum now be 500 for any subsequent flights (if i fly a flight worth 360 EQM will it now be worth 500 EQM)?

Thanks for your help, I believe the above to be true but need to verify it before i pay the extra money to do the platinum challenge. If it does do the 500 min for subsequent flights AFTER 500 EQM then i will definately make it to platinum but if it does not do the 500 EQM after i reach 500 EQM then i probably wont make platinum. Any assistance is appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.