Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by stheller
They did tell me I couldn't start it Jan. 1
That's interesting. I wonder if it portends a rule/price change.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
That's interesting. I wonder if it portends a rule/price change.
I wonder. It certainly seems like it could signal a change of some sort.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've updated the wiki with the $150 price, indicating that it may be seasonal.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: AA

Dear Forum,

May I ask a simple question from a neewbie?

In simple form what do you need to do to request a challenge? A letter, a phone call or a form at x url?

Thank you much.

If I had known about this 3 weeks ago I would already have my gold but thank you so much for the information going foprward cool:.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by naturesvr
May I ask a simple question from a neewbie? In simple form what do you need to do to request a challenge? A letter, a phone call or a form at x url?
Welcome to FT! Call AAdvantage customer service 1-800-882-8880. Have your membership number ready. Sign up starting Dec 16 (yes you can do that) and be sure to earn 5K points for Gold (10K for Platinum) within 90 days. Good luck.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Any further updates as to whether internationally purchased/non-US currency tickets screw up the challenge? Seems like we have one "yes" and one "no" response so far, but the "no" hasn't completed the challenge yet?
I can give an update on point. I just successfully completed a Gold Challenge between Dec 1 and Dec 20. New status is now in the system. Ticket was purchased from AA in China in Chinese yuan, using USA-based credit card. Travel was PEK-JAN and return. EQP's for the AA segments posted promptly and as per the rules, EQM's for AA and JL segments also posted correctly.

Prior to travelling and signing up for the Challenge, I had called AA to go over this and they assured me that the non-US currency purchase would still be valid for Challenge, subject to the normal Challenge rules. So, the experience posted by FT'er Argen-Tina in this thread must be some sort of strange aberration, or some other factor came into play in that particular case.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
So, the experience posted by FT'er Argen-Tina in this thread must be some sort of strange aberration, or some other factor came into play in that particular case.
Thanks for the update and congrats on successfully completing the challenge.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:20 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by jiejie
I can give an update on point. I just successfully completed a Gold Challenge between Dec 1 and Dec 20. New status is now in the system. Ticket was purchased from AA in China in Chinese yuan, using USA-based credit card. Travel was PEK-JAN and return. EQP's for the AA segments posted promptly and as per the rules, EQM's for AA and JL segments also posted correctly.

Prior to travelling and signing up for the Challenge, I had called AA to go over this and they assured me that the non-US currency purchase would still be valid for Challenge, subject to the normal Challenge rules. So, the experience posted by FT'er Argen-Tina in this thread must be some sort of strange aberration, or some other factor came into play in that particular case.
Thank you very much for reporting back on this, jiejie!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Quicken, US Bank, Jupiter and 1st Hawaiian
I am a new member to this forum and am thinking of starting a challange for platinum. I didn't know about the challenge until I stumbled across this web site looking for information on gold and platinum memberships with AA. On Wed Nov 18, 2009 I took a 17 day RT from LAX to HNL. I will go each month until March 10, 2010 for a total of 5 RTs. My wife and I have business in both cities and carry 4 - 50# bags and 2 carry-ons each way. Previously, I moved all my milage to Alaska and became a gold MVP because they gave me 1st class upgrades to Mexico 6x per year. I reached gold MVP prior to my Nov 18th flight to HNL, but I put the milage into Alaska by habit. Now I realize that I may be able to get platinum status on American if I can move the points and challenge American. Then, starting Jan 1, 2010 I can start accumulating points on Alaska again and this time get only MVP status. This year I will fly Hawaiian during the summer months because of the $200 pp price differential in July, Aug. I was wondering if obtaining the American Platinum status: 1)Our 4 bags will be charged $15 and $25 on each leg of our Hawaii trips and 2)If only one of us should try for Platinum status and the other try for Gold MVP on Alaska? 3)What sort of better coach seats are available to the Platinum members at the time of booking or 72h in advance on the Hawaii to LAX flights? 4)Can the challenge be started retroactively, that is to say Nov. 1 for us? Thanks in advance, Allen Iseri
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Welcome to FT.

I think your first three questions can best be answered by studying this chart. The chart helped me make my decision a little over a year ago,

Originally Posted by aiseri
4)Can the challenge be started retroactively, that is to say Nov. 1 for us?
Nope, not once your flights post.

if I can move the points
Points cannot be moved for the purpose of a challenge. Moving points, if possible at all, usually brings about a huge loss of points.

Last edited by Gamecock; Dec 26, 2009 at 1:19 pm
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by avm2806
No they do not - Based on a First class ticket purchased in India, on CX stock no less, I just succesfully completed the AA Gold challenge (status updated a couple of hours ago). Now trying to figure out how long my Gold Status is valid for.
Wife and I did a Platinum Challenge this year as part of a DONE4 itinerary that was on CX stock and bought in South Korea. BKK-HKG-LAX-JFK-LHR were the four AA segments and two of them were codeshare on CX metal. Hit the Platinum Challenge milestone on the HKG-LAX leg and scored bonus points as well. We had no problems in completing the challenge with foreign currency payment, non-AA ticket stock, and codeshares.

Of course, we reached bonafide Platinum status with the DONE4, but the challenge made us double richer in redeemable miles.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:32 pm

Just Used a Platinum and Gold Challenge

I just did an American Airline Challenge. I wanted to share what happened while it is fresh on my mind. I put a lot of charges on credit cards each year, but I found that using a dedicated airline card like American, Alaska or Delta card is not the best of all deals. I use Gift cards like Quicken, US Bank, Jupiter, American Express Accolade and First Hawaiian. Generally, each of these cards will give you $100 credit toward any airline any time. When I purchase tickets on American, the card uses a travel service and debits my account for the cost of the ticket. I receive FF points for the ticket. In a way I am double dipping by getting mileage for my use of a credit card. My wife and I fly together on the same ticket. Our situation is Jan 1 to Mar 28, 2010 we travel 7 legs of LAX to HNL for 2556 miles per leg. All were set up by the travel agent above. Here is what I learned:
The cost of a gold challenge is $80 and the platinum is $150.
The first rep was new and signed both of us up for a gold challenge at $80/person.
I called again and the second rep gave us Immediate Gold Status for $150 by was of a platinum challenge for me only. She left the gold challenge for my wife because she could not change it. As it turns out I dont need my wifes gold challenge and I paid $80 more than I should.
When you use a credit gift card above to pay for the tickets, you get fares in Q class for .5 points per mile.
One of the travel agents used the Alaska Airline site to book the American flights. This resulted in a ticket that was not qualified for the challenge. Be careful if you use the above credit card methods.
I mentioned that I was a MVP gold on another airline and she gave me the gold status for signing up for the platinum challenge although I know that I will fail it. She stated that the gold status would be good for the entire year. We will see. If it fails, my wife will qualify for Gold Status.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I wonder if these are correct as they stand. There are several lower fare class inventories these could book in, but Search will reveal there are ways to upfare without cost.

The only tickets not qualified for a Challenge are O (Oscar) between North and Latin America, some consolidator fares and tickets not booked on American Airlines.

Five LAX-HLN r/ts (approx. 5,110 miles r/t) would grant one a minimum of 12,500 points, more or less - over five months insufficient to complete a Platinum Challenge (you'd have to complete them in three months.) Upfaring to a 1:1 EQM:EQP fare would certainly change this.

When you use a credit gift card above to pay for the tickets, you get fares in Q class for .5 points per mile.

One of the travel agents used the Alaska Airline site to book the American flights. This resulted in a ticket that was not qualified for the challenge. Be careful if you use the above credit card methods.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 2, 2010 at 7:31 am Reason: typoe
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:57 pm

One of the travel agents used the Alaska Airline site to book the American flights. This resulted in a ticket that was not qualified for the challenge.
My guess is that the agent booked the flight with an AS flight number, making it ineligible to be used for a challenge.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:01 pm

I want to thank the moderators of this board/thread. The information here saved me $100/leg in baggage fees (4 bags @ $20 and $30) as well as getting me better seats. I learned more about the program this morning. This applies when 2 people fly together all the time as my wife and I do. In order to get the baggage fee waived one the elite person must have their FF number listed on the ticket. The other person gets the benefit of the elite member. This allows the non-elite person (in this case my wife) to move their FF miles to another airline like Alaska and qualify for the Alaska MVP/Gold MVP. I will check with Alaska to see if Gold MVP status of one person will confir the same upgrade on the other.

I remember now, when I booked the AA ticket with the travel agent, I gave my AS FF number. They must have booked with that number and the flight was not good for a challenge. Wow, lots of things to consider. Allen Iseri

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.