Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:07 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by m1k3
Seeing that I am so close to 10000, I have two choices: be satisfy with Gold or upfare the top half (which would give me 10305) for Platinum. Would the best number to call AA to upfare my ticket the same as the challenge line? I considered a MR but decided against it. Is platinum worth the extra cost? TIA
Welcome to FlyerTalk, m1k3! Whether it's worth it to upfare depends on the cost differential and what you expect your travel patterns to be like next year when you'll actually be taking advantage of status. Here's a good thread on GLD vs PLT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Welcome to FlyerTalk, m1k3! Whether it's worth it to upfare depends on the cost differential and what you expect your travel patterns to be like next year when you'll actually be taking advantage of status. Here's a good thread on GLD vs PLT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Thanks for the link. I decided to do the plt challenge but found out that they couldn't upfare any of my flights because they were both sold out. So I guess I will settle with gold.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
IMHO, the lounge access on int'l itneraries and double RDMs makes it worth it.
Will you be doing any international travel next year?

Originally Posted by m1k3
I’m getting ready to do my first challenge and wanted to run things by all you experts before I call in.

My itinerary:
GND – MIA (L) = 1537
MIA – SFO (L) = 2585
SFO – MIA (L) = 2585
MIA – GND (L) = 1537
Grand Total = 8244 EQP

Seeing that I am so close to 10000, I have two choices: be satisfy with Gold or upfare the top half (which would give me 10305) for Platinum. Would the best number to call AA to upfare my ticket the same as the challenge line? I considered a MR but decided against it. Is platinum worth the extra cost? TIA
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:54 am

Expiration of status when challenge stradles year end?

Here is the situation. Start a challenge on 1-Dec. One RT in December. Next trip starts at end of Dec and the return is in Jan of 2010. The return satisfies the challenge requirement. So is status until Feb 2011 or Feb 2012?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Here is the situation. Start a challenge on 1-Dec. One RT in December. Next trip starts at end of Dec and the return is in Jan of 2010. The return satisfies the challenge requirement. So is status until Feb 2011 or Feb 2012?
Feb 2011. The challenge would have to begin after June 15 of next year to earn status through Feb 2012.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: AA - Gold, AS - MVPG, Marriott - Titanium
Just Completed Plat Challenge

Hi All,

Just completed my platinum challenge! (It took a couple BOS-SAN flights in deep discount, I'm envious of everyone who was able to get their points in one long trip). I wanted to thank this board and FT in general for letting me know about this shortcut, and I look forward to my transition into a miles/points obsessed traveler.

Thanks,
Nate
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by ncpor
Just completed my platinum challenge! (It took a couple BOS-SAN flights in deep discount, I'm envious of everyone who was able to get their points in one long trip). I wanted to thank this board and FT in general for letting me know about this shortcut, and I look forward to my transition into a miles/points obsessed traveler.
Hi Nate, Welcome to FT and congratulations on your new status! Be sure to catch a few days rest before starting to look into flights next year in order to re-qualify and maintain this status.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:08 pm

I look forward to my transition into a miles/points obsessed traveler.
Sounds like you've already arrived at that destination.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond
I just signed up for a Platinum Challenge starting 1 January 2010. I'll be flying to the Persian Gulf for about a week, I figured I might as well get PLAT for making that trip!

Now the question. I arrive in Bahrain on March 13, I leave the 21st, will my status post by then? I might as well enjoy some of the benefits on my longest flight of the year on my way back.

My itinerary during those days is

IAD-LAX Feb 11 2288 Miles, 1144 EQM
LAX-DFW-DCA Feb 16 2427 Miles, 1213 EQM
DCA-DFW-LHR-BAH Mar 12 9111 Miles, 9111 EQM
BAH-LHR-DFW-DCA Mar 21 9111 EQM, 9111 EQM

I'll be at 11'468 EQM by the time I get to Bahrain.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by elmothehobo
I just signed up for a Platinum Challenge starting 1 January 2010. I'll be flying to the Persian Gulf for about a week, I figured I might as well get PLAT for making that trip!

Now the question. I arrive in Bahrain on March 13, I leave the 21st, will my status post by then? I might as well enjoy some of the benefits on my longest flight of the year on my way back.

I think your figures are mixed up.

First, EQM doesn't matter, it's EQP. You probably have the correct EQP figures for IAD-LAX and LAX-DFW-DCA (0.5 EQP per mile on deep discount tickets). But if you're traveling in a deep discount fare class DCA-DFW-LHR-BAH, you'll only get 4556 EQP and would still be short of PLT.

If you're traveling on a fare where you get 1.0 EQP per mile flown on the Bahrain trip, then you'll make the PLT challenge and there's a good chance your status would update before the return.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker
You beat me to it, but I was going to post something very similar. Elmo may have some re-calculating to do.

Also, I'm wondering why the OP signed up for the challenge as of Jan 1 since it appears the first flight is not until March 13. Seems to me it would be better to wait until Mar 1 to begin the challenge.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
elmothehobo: Could you please post the airline and booking code for each of the four flights? If you don't know the booking codes, please call AA or your travel agent and find out. A reliable answer to your question will need this information.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:47 am

Welcome Nate!

Hope to see you become a contributing member as your FF savvy grows!

Hi All,

Thanks,
Nate
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:49 am

Are you flying AA codeshares to Bahrain?

Originally Posted by elmothehobo

Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by videomaker

First, EQM doesn't matter, it's EQP. You probably have the correct EQP figures for IAD-LAX and LAX-DFW-DCA (0.5 EQP per mile on deep discount tickets). But if you're traveling in a deep discount fare class DCA-DFW-LHR-BAH, you'll only get 4556 EQP and would still be short of PLT.

If you're traveling on a fare where you get 1.0 EQP per mile flown on the Bahrain trip, then you'll make the PLT challenge and there's a good chance your status would update before the return.
I meant EQP!

DCA-DFW-LHR-BAH vv is booked in L, so it's 1.0 EQP, the trip to Los Angeles is in deep discount, so .5 EQP.

I'm also flying AA codeshare to Bahrain, on BA. Turns out American and Gulf Airways don't codeshare anymore, which is too bad, I was looking forward to trying them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.