Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by JKay
Hi All, I've a flt next week Lax-CDg and I'm not sure if I should set up a Platinum Challenge. This flt would give me the needed points, but the status would expire at the end of this year. What happens to the expiration date if I continue to fly AA and reach the 50k mark (I am sure to do ) later this year, does the expiration date move to Feb 2011 or stay Feb 2010. Can't seem to find the answer on the AA site. Thanks for any help.

Your status says that you are currently AA PLT, if so, then you cannot do a challenge.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Why do a challenge at this time at all? With the double elite qualifying miles promotion currently going on, a r/t from LAX to CDG should earn you in the neighborhood of 25k EQM, which would give you gold status for now. Any additional flying you do until June 15th will continue to be doubled for your EQM calculations. Also, status earned with butts in seat miles as opposed to a challenge, will automatically last until Feb 2011.

Remember, you have to go to aa.com and register for the double EQM promo.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sukn
Why do a challenge at this time at all? With the double elite qualifying miles promotion currently going on, a r/t from LAX to CDG should earn you in the neighborhood of 25k EQM, which would give you gold status for now. Any additional flying you do until June 15th will continue to be doubled for your EQM calculations. Also, status earned with butts in seat miles as opposed to a challenge, will automatically last until Feb 2011.

Remember, you have to go to aa.com and register for the double EQM promo.
Double EQMs won't post for a while
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Double EQMs won't post for a while
Your point being? Especially as it relates to the OP's situation?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your point being? Especially as it relates to the OP's situation?
A PLT challenge would result in PLT status & perks w/in just a couple of days of the flight postings.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
A PLT challenge would result in PLT status & perks w/in just a couple of days of the flight postings.
And will promptly expire in Feb 2010 unless the OP flies 50k BIS miles. My point is, save the money on the challenge, with the double EQM promo the OP is likely to reach 50K that much faster, and the status earned will last until Feb 2011.

The OP seems more concerned with extending the life of the status than needing the status in time for a specific start date.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
And will promptly expire in Feb 2010 unless the OP flies 50k BIS miles. My point is, save the money on the challenge, with the double EQM promo the OP is likely to reach 50K that much faster, and the status earned will last until Feb 2011.
You are solving a problem that the OP doesn't have.

Originally Posted by JKay
What happens to the expiration date if I continue to fly AA and reach the 50k mark (I am sure to do ) later this year....
The OP seems more concerned with extending the life of the status than needing the status in time for a specific start date.
No, OP just wanted to know when the status which he would earn by flying 50K would expire (which was answered for him in post #2). Everything beyond that post in this thread is more or less an aside (some more, others less).
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by vrbaba
If you only complete the challenge and do not fly 50k EQM or EQP or 60 segments, status would expire Feb 2010. If you do achieve the requirements before Dec 2010, your status would be valid until Feb 2011.
I think you meant DEC 2009.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
PLT challenge gamble: too risky?

In June/July I'll be going from SoCal to both Miami and Chicago, both paid F. MIA is return is June 14. If I were to sign up for a challenge beginning on the 16th, but the miles from that flight don't post until the 16th or after, how are they counted? It's not worth the $150 to just have PLT for the rest of this year, but to have it for a year and a half would be. Those two trips would put me at about 8700 EQP, and I could easily find a way to make another 1300 happen in the next three months following. Any thoughts on the above scenario, including experience appreciated.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Any particular reason you didn't post this in the very aptly named

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...hallenges.html

thread at the very top of the forum page?

Regards
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Yes. Way too risky.

Move on folks. There is nothing to see here.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Too risky.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Thread start history tells all.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not risky at all, if you are planning to earn 10,000 EQ Points within three months of June 16 (after June 15!) As to hoping somehow the system will fail and your June 14 miles will count for a Challenge beginning June 16, I'd say those would be misplaced hopes. (It doesn't matter when the miles post, what matters is when they were earned.)

Originally Posted by JumboD
In June/July I'll be going from SoCal to both Miami and Chicago, both paid F. MIA is return is June 14. If I were to sign up for a challenge beginning on the 16th, but the miles from that flight don't post until the 16th or after, how are they counted? It's not worth the $150 to just have PLT for the rest of this year, but to have it for a year and a half would be. Those two trips would put me at about 8700 EQP, and I could easily find a way to make another 1300 happen in the next three months following. Any thoughts on the above scenario, including experience appreciated.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 18, 2009 at 8:53 pm Reason: correct
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Not risky at all, if you are planning to earn 10,000 EQ Points within thirty days of June 16 (after June 15!) As to hoping somehow the system will fail and your June 14 miles will count for a Challenge beginning June 16, I'd say those would be misplaced hopes. (It doesn't matter when the miles post, what matters is when they were earned.)
What made me wonder was the fact that one can, say, fly June 17th, then call AA and sign up on June 18th for a challenge beginning June 16th, and those June 17th miles will count because they'd not yet posted when the challenge was signed up for. I wasn't sure if the same principle applied. And, there's a decent chance I'd make it anyways, but not an extra $150 decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.