Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by timkirk
I paid $100 yesterday to sign up for the AA GLD challenge (to begin May 1st) and realized today that I will likely attain 10,000 EQPs by the end of July. I called today and was told that it was too late to change it to a PLT challenge.

However, the AA customer service rep did tell me that if I reach 10,000 EQPs before July 31st, I can simply pay an extra $80, upgrade to the PLT challenge, and immediately get PLT status. He told me that, had I elected the PLT challenge yesterday, I would have paid $180 upfront and, if i didn't reach 10,000 EQPs by July 31st, I would lose the full $180 and not have attained any elite status.

I am very skeptical of what I was told for one big reason: why would anyone pay the $180 upfront, with the possiblility of attaining nothing, when they could simply start with the GLD challenge, re-assess their EQPs, and upgrade the challenge during the three-month window as appropriate? Why would anyone not retain that optionality?

Thanks.
I can understand the skepticism. I'd be wary too. Did you ask the rep to notate your account with that information? Without there being a record of it you may not have much luck in them following through on it. I wouldn't count on being able to call up after the fact and get Plat challenge 'status'.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
why would anyone pay the $180 upfront, with the possiblility of attaining nothing, when they could simply start with the GLD challenge, re-assess their EQPs, and upgrade the challenge during the three-month window as appropriate? Why would anyone not retain that optionality?

Thanks.
Welcome to FT timkirk

Well - Mrs P will be enrolling in the PLT challenge prior to her one flight - AA7308 - the codeshare on the QF flight SYD-DFW, flying in J. This one flight gets her more than 10,000 EQP.So why would she enrol in the Gold challenge?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Welcome to FT timkirk

Well - Mrs P will be enrolling in the PLT challenge prior to her one flight - AA7308 - the codeshare on the QF flight SYD-DFW, flying in J. This one flight gets her more than 10,000 EQP.So why would she enrol in the Gold challenge?
Thanks for the welcome, Panda.

Am I better off fighting this fight after I reach the 10,000 miles? Or hearing right up front that the AA rep was misinformed and that I don't really have that PLT Challenge upgrade option?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:10 pm

I called today and was told that it was too late to change it to a PLT challenge.

However, the AA customer service rep did tell me that if I reach 10,000 EQPs before July 31st, I can simply pay an extra $80, upgrade to the PLT challenge, and immediately get PLT status.
I think that is true as long as you call before the end of the challenge. OTOH, there was a report a while back that if you started a PLT challenge but only flew 5K, you could still get gold. Since the rep you talked to contradicted that, I'm not sure what to think. If it makes you too nervous, you can call back and try to get another rep to upgrade the challenge immediately.

why would anyone pay the $180 upfront, with the possiblility of attaining nothing, when they could simply start with the GLD challenge
As pandaperth said, many people complete a PLT challenge in a single roundtrip. Others might have enough travel already booked that flying 10K is virtually certain.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by _kurt
I think that is true as long as you call before the end of the challenge. OTOH, there was a report a while back that if you started a PLT challenge but only flew 5K, you could still get gold. Since the rep you talked to contradicted that, I'm not sure what to think. If it makes you too nervous, you can call back and try to get another rep to upgrade the challenge immediately.

As pandaperth said, many people complete a PLT challenge in a single roundtrip. Others might have enough travel already booked that flying 10K is virtually certain.
OK, I think I found an answer to my earlier question about upgrading my challenge from GLD to PLT that makes sense to me.

I spoke to another AAdvantage rep yesterday who confirmed that I can, in fact, upgrade my challenge from GLD to PLT anytime during the original challenge window if I cross the 10,000 EQPs during that time. The cost to upgrade is $125, not $80, which means that it's not free optionality - it actually $45 more than starting with a PLT challenge from the beginning.

I didn't confirm that I'd get conferred GLD status if I started a PLT challenge and only reached 5,000 EQPs, but, by starting GLD and upgrading to PLT, I'll pay $45 more in the long run, but guarantee that I end up with some Elite status, provided I reach at least 5,000 EQPs.

Hope this helps.

Fly safe.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:28 pm

I paid $100 yesterday to sign up for the AA GLD challenge (to begin May 1st)
The cost to upgrade is $125, not $80, which means that it's not free optionality - it actually $45 more than starting with a PLT challenge from the beginning.
Thanks for posting your experience. There is some conflicting information on fees in the Wiki so an extra data point is helpful. It looks like the price drop from $120 to $100 for the gold challenge may have happened April 1 or April 16.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AY Silver, Marriott Silver, AA, SPG, SKEB
My first post to FT, so hello all, and thanks for a great resource.

OK...
I just started the PLT challenge on May 1st, so I'm looking forward to my next trip even more than usually. The plan (already ticketed) is as follows:
HEL-ORD-BOS, YUL-ORD-DFW, DFW-AUS-DFW, DFW-SEA-YEG, and SJC-ORD-HEL. All within a 2-week period.

The rest of the trip will be on non-AA tickets, in case anyone's wondering.

The AA tickets are in L, V, and Y, and I've done the math, so I should be happily over the 10 000 EQP mark, and in PLT before the wheels touch down in YEG.

Now the question. How long does it typically take after the flight for the points to show in the system? I'd like to make sure that I can enjoy the PLT benefits immediately on the final leg of my trip SJC-ORD-HEL (preferred seating etc). So do I need to wait before calling the service desk to ask them to update the status on the rest of my itinerary?

When I signed up for the challenge, I asked the AA rep to match my current OW (AY) ruby status and give me immediate GLD, but she kindly refused and commented that they can only match corporate clients.

In your experience, would it be worth the trouble to be persistent about getting the initial GLD status match, or should I just wait for the inevitable PLT...
Old May 2, 2011, 4:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by planejmpr
How long does it typically take after the flight for the points to show in the system?
Generally within a day or two of the flight, although it seems flights have been posting sooner than that for me (but YMMV). You should see your new status in the system at the same time the points that put you over the challenge post.

In your experience, would it be worth the trouble to be persistent about getting the initial GLD status match, or should I just wait for the inevitable PLT
When Mrs. Microwave signed up for the PLT challenge earlier this year, she offered to send copies of her AS MVPG card & statement, and politely asked about getting GLD during the challenge. She was extended GLD without having been asked for evidence (she actually is MVPG FWIW). For the ability to book exit rows, use the elite access line, waitlist for domestic upgrades, check free bags and start earning stickers right away, I would say getting GLD is very important. If I were you, I'd try at least one more time.
Old May 2, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
When I signed up for the challenge, I asked the AA rep to match my current OW (AY) ruby status and give me immediate GLD, but she kindly refused and commented that they can only match corporate clients.

In your experience, would it be worth the trouble to be persistent about getting the initial GLD status match, or should I just wait for the inevitable PLT...
Welcome to FT! Rule 1 for AA: Call back and get a different AAgent until you achieve the desired result. Mention your booked itineraries, and your desire to be able to pick exit row seats, fly same day standby, etc. It'll happen.
Old May 3, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: AY Silver, Marriott Silver, AA, SPG, SKEB
Originally Posted by mreed911
Welcome to FT! Rule 1 for AA: Call back and get a different AAgent until you achieve the desired result. Mention your booked itineraries, and your desire to be able to pick exit row seats, fly same day standby, etc. It'll happen.
Thanks for the helpful tip! It only took one try, and I'm now GLD. ^

Especially nice since I was now able to get seat 21B for my 767-300 transatlantic flight.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:49 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the helpful tip! It only took one try, and I'm now GLD. ^

Especially nice since I was now able to get seat 21B for my 767-300 transatlantic flight.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, planejmpr! Glad it worked out for you and best of luck with your Challenge! ^
Old May 5, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Silver... Former AA Plat
hi all. i will be travelling crazy in the next few weeks and i am glad i found this forum. i never knew there exists elite challenge, otherwise i would have been platinum a few years back!!!

my itinerary...
ATL-MIA-JFK-HKG, then coming back HKG-NRT-DFW-ATL, and finally ATL-DFW-AUS.

of course i signed up for PLT challenge! now the questions...
i upgraded my MIA-JFK and now it shows class "A" as the booking code. originally it was class "N" = 50% of 1090 EQP. does that mean i will now get 150% now?

if that's the case, then i will have...
ATL-MIA - class N = 298 EQP
MIA-JFK - class A = 1635 EQP
JFK-HKG - class M = 8072 EQP (not sure if it's 8072)
-----------------------
Total: 10005 EQP after first trip! (lol i swear i didn't even realize until now!)

wow, i hope my calculations are right so when i arrive in HKG i will be a platinum already! please help make sure. tks!
Old May 5, 2011, 1:40 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Assuming that "A" means you upgraded to First in cash (and not miles, etc) then yes. If you used miles/eVIP, then no...

Originally Posted by gagooners
i upgraded my MIA-JFK and now it shows class "A" as the booking code. originally it was class "N" = 50% of 1090 EQP. does that mean i will now get 150% now?
Old May 5, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by daveland
Assuming that "A" means you upgraded to First in cash (and not miles, etc) then yes. If you used miles/eVIP, then no...
Depends. I got A from a cash+miles upgrade, and was told I get the ORIGINAL booking code rate. I booked in deep-discount (G/Q/O/N/S).

I think if you BUY A (straight-out) vs. *any* upgrade method to A is the differentiator... so it treats cash+miles, miles-only and eVIP the same - the originally-purchased class.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by daveland
Originally Posted by mreed911
Depends. I got A from a cash+miles upgrade, and was told I get the ORIGINAL booking code rate. I booked in deep-discount (G/Q/O/N/S).

I think if you BUY A (straight-out) vs. *any* upgrade method to A is the differentiator... so it treats cash+miles, miles-only and eVIP the same - the originally-purchased class.
I think you're essentially saying the same thing that daveland is saying. If the "A" fare class was re-ticketed because the OP paid the difference in fare with "cash" to get to "A," then the OP is fine. If the "A" was from an upgrade, then no, the calculations need to be adjusted for the original booking class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.