Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:00 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Tero
Yes and I have done that, but its the principle that is missing. When I fly from San Jose to Santiago via Miami do I get the miles between San Jose and Santiago or the miles between San Jose-Miami-Santiago? Or not miles but points to be exact.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Tero!

Good question - in general, you get separate mileage/points for each segment you fly. The exception is if you are on a "direct" flight with a stop, in which case, you would only get mileage from origin to final destination. You can tell if you are on a direct flight if multiple segments have the same flight number - that is not the case for your flights.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 2:54 am

What is the fastest and most economical way to meet a Platinum Challenge?

HI-I tried to search the forum before posting this, but couldn't quite find the answer. Sorry if I am repeating what has alrady been posted. To meet the Platinum Challenge, would a RT flight from LAX to Narita or from SFO to London Heathrow on American do it? Would it need to be business class in order to have the right faire code? I am trying to figure out the most effective and economical way to do it with just one round trip.

Thanks,
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:09 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
You do not have to fly business, but you will get more points for business. Challenges are based on Elite-qualifying Points, not Elite Qualifying Miles.

Still, cost-wise, I'm guessing two international coach trips are likely to be more economical that one business trip (for example). But you should figure out the points per dollar available to you for each possible trip and see what makes the most sense.

A lot of great information on the challenges is available here: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:14 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
You should have no problems accomplishing this with one TATL (with the proper connections each way), as long as you get the 10k EQP. The trick is to find the fare at the exact fare-code threshhold, which (in my first attempt) can't be done online (they're always too low, or too high). You'd have to reserve the res at any fare basis (once you have the trip route set), then call in to bump up the fare basis (and cost) to as little over the fare-minimum as possible (unless you enjoy spending too much money!). This was a total shock, after nwa.com (where you could set the minimum fare basis on fare searches).

And the challange thread is good info also. Expect this thread to be merged into that one.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
iirc, lax-lhr-lax will do it w/a 1pt/mi fare.....look at aa.com aadvantage to see the fare code chart which states how much of what on a fare code....good luck...
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
lax-jfk-ord-pvg on the lowest fares
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ajax1234
I am trying to figure out the most effective and economical way to do it with just one round trip.
Have work pay for your ticket.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here's how it would work (using apocryphal flight numbers):

AA 1234 SJO-MIA = 1117 mi
AA 2345 MIA-SCL = 4118 mi
TOTAL = 5235 mi

OR

AA 6789 SJO-MIA-SCL = 3112 mi (assuming AA actually had a "through" flight SJO-MIA-SCL)

The points earned would depend entirely on the fare class inventory the tickets are out of, of course: link, and "** Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible." And for a challenge to succeed, it must be on AA flights operated by AA (on AA aircraft.)

If we are trying to earn miles, we avoid from "through" flights - where you may have to change aircraft anyway, or even aircraft types. (The fact you may have to change aircraft and gates in MIA would make no difference in this illustration.)

Originally Posted by Tero
Yes and I have done that, but its the principle that is missing. When I fly from San Jose to Santiago via Miami do I get the miles between San Jose and Santiago or the miles between San Jose-Miami-Santiago? Or not miles but points to be exact.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here and was interested in this AA challenge, particularly gold. I have been reading thru the wiki and this thread but I have a couple of questions. I may have missed the answer somewhere so sorry if this has been answered before. This is in prep for a trip I have planned for July 2010 from HNL-DFW-MCO and back. The fare code according to AA is 'V' so I believe it's a 1 to 1 miles/points.

1. When you sign up for the gold challenge, you pay your $100 and start your challenge for the next 3 months. When you sign up, do they give you gold status for the 3 months of the challenge so you get gold status benefits during the challenge? And then after the 3 months you either meet the challenge and keep going or not meet it and they revoke gold status?

2. Is it best to book thru AA to know your rate code or is there a way to know what rate code you're getting thru sites like Orbitz, etc.?

Thanks,
Ho'okani
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:40 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Hookani
...The fare code according to AA is 'V' so I believe it's a 1 to 1 miles/points.
Correct. In discount economy the good codes are: H, K, M, L, W, V.

When you sign up, do they give you gold status for the 3 months of the challenge so you get gold status benefits during the challenge?
No. When you sign up, you'd agree to start the challenge on a specific date (need not be the day you call), and then you have 3 months to earn 5K points. You get gold status only when you successfully complete this. [Later Edit: Well, this is how it used to. However, see #136 below for one recent experience.]

Is it best to book thru AA to know your rate code or is there a way to know what rate code you're getting thru sites like Orbitz, etc.?
For many reasons, I do believe it is best to book at AA.com, especially when all the flights are AA anyway.

Good luck, and welcome to FT!

Last edited by aktchi; Nov 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by ty97
Still, cost-wise, I'm guessing two international coach trips are likely to be more economical that one business trip (for example).
You can do a successful PLT Challenge on 1 RT TATL Y ticket. I did one last year for about $850(FRA-DFW-CAE) and Mrs Gamecock did one in August for $900.(FRA-DFW-SAT-DFW-CLT-ORD-FRA)
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Hookani

2. Is it best to book thru AA to know your rate code or is there a way to know what rate code you're getting thru sites like Orbitz, etc.?
I booked mine through AA, which was useful because I needed to call then t force the right farecode for a 1:1 EQP:miles ratio.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:23 pm

Does Obtaining PlatiThrough a ChallangAffect getting Benefits from Going Over 2 Milli

It turns out I am doing so much cross country traveling in March and April, that I can upgrade from a deep discount to a regular discount, get 1.0 point per mile and complete 10,000 miles for the Platinum challenge with in a three-month period. However, it is also likely that because of travel and credit card use, by July or August 2010 I would pass the two million lifetime mark and get lifetime Platinum anyway. Being Platinum sooner would sure help on upgrades, since Gold status does not seem to help much on popular roués (SFO-DFW or SFO-ORD) , but would obtaining Platinum on a challenge cause me to loose the 4 system upgrades I get when I pass the 2 million mile mark? The cost of the challenge and the difference in fare prices is something to consider, but its not the biggest consideration. Just want to make sure I don’t somehow mess up the benefits form getting to the 2 million mile mark.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:41 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Ajax1234
would obtaining Platinum on a challenge cause me to loose the 4 system upgrades I get when I pass the 2 million mile mark? The cost of the challenge and the difference in fare prices is something to consider, but its not the biggest consideration. Just want to make sure I don’t somehow mess up the benefits form getting to the 2 million mile mark.
I do not think one has anything to do with the other.
The 4 eVIPs are given for hitting 2 MM not for lifetime Platinum.
The latter is another perk, like the VIPs
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
I haved called AA today on behalf of a friend who is 1k. i asked to enroll him in Gold Challenge. The rep asked: " Do you want to pay $100 and be enrolled in Gold challenge or pay $200 and get Gold ON THE SPOT and be enrolled in Platinum challenge?" Took the second option
His account was updates already. And they did not ask for any proof of being 1k.

Last edited by al613; Nov 15, 2009 at 10:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.