Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Challenge Electronic Upgrade Qualification?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
Platinum Challenge Electronic Upgrade Qualification?

I have enrolled my son for the Platinum Challenge. He currently has no qualifying mileage/points for the year. Will he receive 4 electronic upgrades when he qualifies for Platinum - he will have flown 11,500 miles (and points) on the challenge when he qualifies, and every 10,000 thereafter?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:27 am

He will receive 4 upgrades for every 10K miles flown once he gets Plat status.

He will not receive 4 upgrades for flying 10K miles/points during the challenge.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:58 am

Miles flown during the leg upon which the status is earned do count toward the 4/10k stickers.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: OneWorld
I was under the impression that you do get a few stickers right when you qualify for platinum. Is that never the case? Or just not the case when you qualify using the challenge...
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Daniel333
I was under the impression that you do get a few stickers right when you qualify for platinum. Is that never the case? Or just not the case when you qualify using the challenge...
I thought so too, but I just made gold on segments and now I see the miles started accruing as I made gold.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:12 am

That is not the case. I am not aware of stickers issued upon a qualification except for million mile status.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
It is not the case, no matter how you qualify. If you qualify normally, you will make Gold when you pass 25,000 miles, and your upgrade mileage counter will start then, so you will have gotten 8 stickers (4 for 10,000 miles times 2) and be 5,000 miles along toward your next set of 4. But there are no "bonus" stickers for crossing into another elite level (no bonus anything, really, just the enhanced benefits of the new elite level) for achieving Gold or Plat status. There is a bonus for achieving EXP.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Way way back when, they did give stickers on initial qualification. Not sure when it was discontinued, but it was still in the days of actual, non-electronic stickers. I got 4 "longs" when I made Gold in 1994.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by swag
Way way back when, they did give stickers on initial qualification. Not sure when it was discontinued, but it was still in the days of actual, non-electronic stickers. I got 4 "longs" when I made Gold in 1994.
Mid 90's I believe, maybe a little earlier.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:20 pm

It's a shame that miles towards elite upgrades don't roll over from one membership year to the next.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aleks
It's a shame that miles towards elite upgrades don't roll over from one membership year to the next.
When it rolls over, if you have substantial "orphan miles", you can call and ask nicely, and they will give you partial stickers. For example, if you had 8000 miles, you would likely get 3 stickers. There is always a thread or 12 here beginning about Feb. 1 on how to do this. Normally works best if you wait until a few days after March 1, so they know that flights from Feb. 28 have posted and you won't get the stickers you grovel for and then more from a late February flight posting.

I have gotten 4 stickers each year for the last couple of years. Had 9000+ miles both years. Of course, that doesn't mean they will do this next year.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
When it rolls over, if you have substantial "orphan miles", you can call and ask nicely, and they will give you partial stickers. For example, if you had 8000 miles, you would likely get 3 stickers. There is always a thread or 12 here beginning about Feb. 1 on how to do this. Normally works best if you wait until a few days after March 1, so they know that flights from Feb. 28 have posted and you won't get the stickers you grovel for and then more from a late February flight posting.

I have gotten 4 stickers each year for the last couple of years. Had 9000+ miles both years. Of course, that doesn't mean they will do this next year.
It was only 4000 miles so probably not worth crowing about.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was only 4000 miles so probably not worth crowing about.
Would have gotten you one sticker for sure, possibly 2.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Since we're veering off the original topic here, I'll jump right in. It's always struck me that the fairest thing would be to make each upgrade credit good for 1 mile, with 1 credit earned for every 5 miles flown, credited when the flight posts. That's the same ratio as today, but it solves the "wasting" that comes when flying flights just over the threshhold, like the 4 sticker 1560 mile DFW-BOS. And I post this here because this would also avoid the loss that occurs at the Feb counter reset, and the need for the annual plea call to customer service. Heck, with this system, they could might as well scrap the reset altogether.

Probably not worth the IT costs, in AA's eyes though.

Last edited by swag; Jul 1, 2007 at 8:30 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:38 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
For those that aren't familiar, realize that this reset day is 1 March, not 1 January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.